• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ginge191

[Misc_Work] 205 Derv

ginge191

So.. i got myself an absoloute bargain; and is now a donor for the 'new' plan.

Specs;

1.8 NAD

205K - yes, 205,000 miles!

1 - yes 1 previous owner from new!

cambelt and aux belt done 5k ago

serviced 5k ago

theres a few problems with it - leaky rad, dodgy rear lights, busted rear beam but nonetheless engine is absoloutely SOUND.

Had a good drive and look around and for £300 i had to snap it up...

HJvVV-1.jpg

JI4Jq-1.jpg

MRg17-1.jpg

SQx0K-1.jpg

i4K2l-1.jpg

The previous owner have had this from the factory and got the bumper and sunroof as optional extras and could explain EVERYTHING which has been done on this.

Really happy with it; collecting on tuesday once the new V5 has come through (the owners wanted to keep memories and put the original H plate on their fiat panda)

My plan was to just get a REALLY old NAD to trash around, but after seeing the condition, quality and sound of the engine, i just couldn't trash it.

Oh, and it's bosch'd - Coaling time!

Probably going to turbo this as Max has all the bits ready to go!

For anyone that knows strictly derv on here, a similar build will be going into this; a nice XUD9 lump, big blower, FMIC and some nice fuel pump mods..

C&C welcome

calvinhorse

Keep it looking standard with the big dervish motor, it'll be awesome :D

Kezzer30

Looking forward to seeing this done pal old work horse lol

Strictly_Derv

I'd like to see how much power we could get from the the engine after a turbo. The pump has no LDA system but we could have a look round underneath when we gov mod it as I have a spare pump lip which we could get fitted.

ginge191

I'm with you on that; see what power we can get from the nad engine!

Tom Fenton

Wind the pump up and fit it with nitrous.

BenV

wow i learnt to drive in one of these + the first car i ever owned its what got me into 205's lol buety of a farmcar goes anywhere indistructible :D

ginge191

Picked the car up last night; got about 5 minutes along when huge plumes of smoke come out the back of the car, engulfing Eli driving behind me; no i wasn't coaling.

Pulled over to investigate; i assumed the worst and thought something had caught alight.. so i emptied the car of everything i had in there (paperwork and such). looked under and could just see more smoke coming out, bonnet up, nothing unusual. no smoke here, checked the boot to see if something in there had caught alight (knowing there are dodgy wires in the boot), nothing, but the wheel arch was scalding!

Turned out, where the beam is fairly f***ed, the inner camber had been rubbing the rear arch so much the tyre was smoking the lot!

So i let some air out of the tyre to get the tyre away from the arch so i could drive home, and it worked.. drove like an absoloute dream!

Getting a new beam fitted on wednesday hopefully; also, there's the usual rattling from the N/S so will have a look and see what the drama is about!

Kezzer30

Hahahah i had my money on some sligjt drama with the old battleaxe on the way home , thats what i like about the 205s they like to scare the s*it outta us from time to time , mine just seems to brake and fix itself atm , horb didnt work but me new fitted fogs did , 3 days later my horn works but my fogs dont lmfao

• Like 1

ginge191

indeed it scared me! the brake lights also have NO life under the pedal; any ideas what this could mean?

Kezzer30

indeed it scared me! the brake lights also have NO life under the pedal; any ideas what this could mean?

Well im no mechanic but could be a dodgy earth or bulbs could be wrong or even bust? I had a while host of eletrical problems when i got mine 3 week ago took an auto rletrician 40mins and had its all working he said all wires ha been put in rear light wrong aome cowboy had parched some up terrible , bad earths and wrong bulbs in wrong sockets also a cuple of blown fuses etc sobdon rule anything out tbh but some good news it mine had loads of problems and only cost 30quid to sort it so not bad considering

Kezzer30

Id also like to apologise for my terrible spelling do it all of my iphone and i miss type letters lmao

ginge191

hm not a bad shout; it's strange as the bulbs still work when headlights/sidelights are on. Also the revers/fog light's are in working order, it's just the brake lights..

dcc

the pedal has a switch behind it.

ginge191

the pedal has a switch behind it.

am i right in thinking

switch - fusebox - backlights - earth?

Is that the correct/similar wiring route?

Kezzer30

am i right in thinking

switch - fusebox - backlights - earth?

Is that the correct/similar wiring route?

I would check it in that order then check bulbs etc

Edited by Kezzer30

ginge191

Sounds a good shout; i'll have a look over it all this week

ginge191

Interesting day today;

Spent the day early with Max aiming to - 1) change the rear beam, 2)sort the non-working brake lights and 3) replace the leaky rad

1) went to the scrap yard and got hold of a rear beam which according to the dash had only done 55k; happy days! So got that up on a stand and got this, also got the rad off this car (gti spec rad)...slight mayo as it drained, so flushed it all out.

2) got back and checked the working order of the switch behind the pedal; that worked, checked the connection at the back, that worked, put it all back together and it voila! it worked /standardfrench

3) drained the old rad, fitted the new one to find there was another leak and pretty ruined metal pipe... gah!

So a bit of bodging later we were set!

IMG_2499_zps3edfdbdb.jpg

IMG_2500_zpsd7f47cd5.jpg

IMG_2502_zps910840d1.jpg

IMG_2501_zpsfbb6fe74.jpg

As for the rear beam, we started taking apart nipples (giggedy), lines and hoses to see what would move freely and what was stubborn and find the easiest parts to use etc. Bad news; all the lines were just cheesing and grinding themselves OR spinning the line also. FML.

One nipple snapped in the cylinder and gah, just a f***ing nightmare. So, going to order new cylinders the drums, speak to KrisB and see if he's able to knock some lines up have another crack at it next week..

On the plus side, had a tweek with the fueling and got some interesting results; 'nice' power and epic coaling.

IMG_2505_zps02098962.jpg

And a video from today

http://s1071.beta.photobucket.com/user/ginge191/media/IMG_2508_zps528dd625.mp4.html

Removed the hub caps as they were annoying me and i think i'll keep this as a sleeper throughout it's build... keeping the steelies, perhaps in a simple and budget black.

IMG_2512_zps5b44219a.jpg

Future plan is to get an entire GTI suspension and subframe setup to get rid of the shot TRE and f***ed front bearing, and introduce a T2 we have ready to bolt on (just need to find an oil feed)

Kezzer30

Sweet mate thats epic stuff so far and hahhaha with the break light my 205 does silly thing example , got some new front fogs fitted all worked fine , but my horn stopped working ( not related ) then the day my fogs stopped working (3 days later) the horn has started to work hahahahahha havnt touched a thing

ginge191

very random; also noticed today, the brake lights are very intermittent, some points it will work, other times it wont - if i just sit still and spam the pedal, it's probably a 50/50 rate of 'lighting up'

might nab a switch from the scrappy and replace that, if thats the issue..

calvinhorse

For the amount of work involved and price of the switch I'd stick a new one in ;)

ginge191

yeh makes sense, might just do that :)

BERTMAN

I would also check the earth block (if you havent already!) for the rear brakes. Its in the boot on the left. Loving the 5 door base model love... it's the way forward :ph34r:

ginge191

ah ok; did visually check it and seemed intact; may give it a good scrape down :)

boldy205

Hi, what are you doing to the engine to make it more powerful? (When still N/A )

Thanks