• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Wallby

[Misc_Work] Peugeot 205 Rallye, Engine Done...now Suspension!

309jazzpanda

Out of interest, how far over did you need to mover the gear selector pivot? Will be doing this conversion myself soon

Wallby

Not sure how much exactly as I never measured it. The way I did it was to make a little jig up to hold the gear selector in the right place, then cut it off and weld it on the gti subframe.

Im not sure but the gti selector may be a different height to the base model one.

309jazzpanda

Yeah that rings a bell actually, thats a good idea so did you leave the selector attached to the car then dry fit the gti frame up?. Also could you notice the difference

Wallby

No, the selector was still attached to the subframe so I made a little jig which bolted into a hole on the subframe and tacked on to the selector. I then cut the selector off with the jig still attached to it so that when I bolted it onto the same hole on the gti subframe it was in the right place. The selector was then welded on and the jig cut off.

Not sure how it is yet as it's not back together yet, but hopefully will be tomorrow!

This phot shows how much it has moved.

th_924993B1-7221-4E12-87F9-6D75540EAA55-

• Like 1

309jazzpanda

wow that's quite a lot, you don't by chance have a pic of the jig do you? (long shot I know)

Wallby

I've just taken a photo so I'll put it up tomorrow. Still have the jig too! Can have it if you want?

309jazzpanda

Yeah how much mate

Wallby

Just cover the cost of postage. Ill PM you

Wallby

Here is what I made, it can be bolted on to where the ball joint is and tacked on to the selector. Mine will be going on this afternoon so I'll let you know what its like!

th_70206CD8-ED11-4633-AFE2-EFF75801D9A9-

Wallby

Got it all back together today and took it for the first time in months!

All seems good so far, can get all the gears and everything went together nicely. The tracking is now out and the steering seems heavy do will have to look into that.

309jazzpanda

Did it drive better

Wallby

I only took it out for a little drive to check that all was ok, will find out if it drives better after a proper blast

Wallby

So after driving about with the car as it is for a bit, I decided to try and sort out the way the carbs are mounted to the engine.

The rubber in between the carbs and manifold was badly perished and I thought could be causing an air leak. After looking for an original replacement, and finding 1 for £400, I thought that that rubber would be 20 years old so looked into solid options.

I found a drawing of the part on the french 205 rallye website and sent that to the engineering company we use at work. After a few days, this is what I had back!

th_666EEBA0-5F0E-44D8-A4FB-BFC4BE157FD7-

Here are the cracks in the rubber,

th_1E83424E-7E7E-41AF-9065-6022EC2645B6-

It needs a few tweaks to get it to fit properly but I knew that and did it to keep the costs and time down.

Got some new misab plates and rubber cups too to mount it properly.

Can't wait to get it all fitted!

trogboy

Very nice!

I picked up those new from Eurocarb in Tilehurst for about £20.00 for both (probably getting on for a decade ago now though). They were stripping them off of all of the DCOMs that they had coming in and selling the carbs without them.

They were preished on the outside not long after I fitted them but never seemed to deteriorate on the inside. IIRC the TU24 used a diagonal strut from the block to an anti-vibe mount on the underside of the carbs to reduce the oscillation of the carbs over bumps. I can't for the life of me think how it fitted now, but I was experimenting with fabbing one not long before the end.

Any chance of a video of the induction noise?!!

Ad

Wallby

I'll have to have a look into that mount then. I contacted euro carb as I found an old thread where you said that you had the rubbers from, unfortunately they sold them a long time ago. A lot of classic alfa parts suppliers produce something similar but won't fit the tu24.

Once it's all back together I'll try and get a video for you!

Wallby

Been working on this over the last week. Had to order some new studs as the originals were not long enough to fit the rubber mounts on. Here's some quick photos,

Misab plates

th_E9C24C25-D915-4103-8476-29975EAC94DF-

Mounting rubbers

th_2EB989CA-D1B5-4313-B6DE-B807CEE0E159-

I also gave the top covers a quick spray to go from this

th_AC5D7951-D427-4315-AEB5-13F994B65304-

To this!

th_9A8B5D50-7ED0-4A4E-B22B-F82E25F09197-

Does anyone know how much I need to tighten the rubber cups? Think I'll have to ring fast road cars in the morning.

• Like 1

Wallby

Got it all back together and running, however something's not quite right.

There seems to be a little hesitation, a sort of whistle and spitting back through the carbs under load.

Timing is all the same, checked for leaks and tightened everything up to no avail!

Looks like I'm gonna have to take it all back off, clean it all again and maybe rebuild the carbs as I'm running out of ideas!

Wallby

Took the carbs off again yesterday (doesn't take very long at all now!), and hopefully spooted a problem.

There was a very small air leak where 1 of my new misab plates was slightly too large for the manifold adaptor plates, have ordered smaller plates and seals to sort this.

I also noticed that in one of the inlet ports was a puddle of petrol! On further investigation the seal for the pump jet on that cyclinder had disintergrated so ordered a new set of those to. Also gave the pump jets a clean while I was at it.

MOT booked for Friday so fingers crossed!

Wallby

Haven't updated this in a while, since it passed its mot I have just been enjoying driving it. Things like getting married have been getting in the way recently, but now that's done I can crack on with a few other bits on the car!

I have put some hinges on my fibreglass bonnet as taking it off all the time was getting a bit of a pain, thanks to nick205 for some of his bonnet! I ended up bonding on a lot less than I thought I would as it didn't quite match up. Should be ok as they are not holding a lot of weight.

5a3bb6ed80295_20140731_165700_zpsfn8p5zt91.thumb.jpg.ea6db27990f10c71ab237b0af1c51060.jpg

I have also just bought some new rear bilstein group n dampers and a gti rear beam to go with them will be on its way soon too :)!

5a3bb6ceca9f2_20140731_164440_zpsu3dynhtc1.thumb.jpg.2f8373e6bdfcdee93601d0805587e54f.jpg

Once this is done a trackday should be on the cards!

Edited by Wallby

Wallby

Another update, I recently bought a refurbished gti rear beam off the legend that is Tom Fenton ( thanks again Tom!). I have spent some hours over the last couple of days swapping the beams over and apart from a few rusted bolts everything has gone ok! Only got the exhaust and handbrake cables to put back on.

Now, would the old beam be of use to anyone? There was quite a bit of play in it. If nobody wants it then I'll leave it out the front for the scrap man to have.

Wallby

Well beam is on and after a quick test drive it has completely changed the car. It is a lot smoother, quieter and the steering feel has gone lighter. I think my beam was in a lot worse condition than what I thought.

I also found that it will now lift off oversteer much more easily, before you would have to really push it. I don't know if that is down to the beam or from the fact that I put rubber rear mounts on instead of the solid mounts that were on there before.

Anyway I hope the weather is nicer tomorrow so that I can put a few more miles on it and get some photos.

Wallby

Took it out for another spin earlier and I'm over the moon with it! Money well spent!

Might be a tad low at the back but I can live with that.

5a3bb8691680c_20140830_164225_zpseqlrbiqv1.thumb.jpg.4606d0ec3f5d618dbc628f13a571fc36.jpg

Edited by Wallby
  • Like 1

Tom Fenton

Looks perfect to me from that picture. Glad you are pleased with it despite Paisley bloody Freight doing their best (worst?!) to lose it!

Oversteer wise, going from base model rear bars to GTI, plus whatever dampers to the Bilsteins will have stiffened the rear suspension considerably, so this will have caused the change in dynamics. Also the rear geometry of gti stuff is again slightly different to the base model.

Wallby

I’ve been having a bit of a problem with getting the rack centred and the geometry set correctly and want to get it nearly right before taking it to a garage.

I have been doing a lot of reading on here on the many different threads on wheel alignment, but I can’t see anything with my specific problem.

For now, I have set the tie rod ends an equal amount of threads out (they are the same part both sides) and set the steering wheel straight. However, I don’t believe my rack is centred as the spokes on the steering wheel are at different angles on each lock, so it has a different number of turns to lock either way you turn it.

Now I could centre the rack and adjust the rod ends but that would mean that 1 rod will be out a lot more than the other side.

The only other thing I can think of is that when I changed the rack I haven’t connected it up properly. I have the square end type fitment.

Hope somebody can shed some light on this for me!

welshpug

Are you on gti wishbones now? I forget!

If you were still on base model tca then you would need to check the lateral location of the arb.