• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Wallby

[Misc_Work] Peugeot 205 Rallye, Engine Done...now Suspension!

Wallby

Hi all,

I want to fit a water temperature gauge to the rallye, just for peace of mind and to keep an eye on the temperatures as I haven't noticed the fan kick in for a while.

I have been doing some reading but think I might have confused myself. Am I right in thinking that the rallye comes with a coolant temperature switch, whereas the xs/gti etc have a coolant temp switch and readout?

Looking at the sender on my car, it only has 1 wire coming off it which would be the temp switch. Does the xs/gti senders have 2 wires coming from it? I have an old gti gauge which I want to try and get working.

I have also been looking at aftermarket kits where I could replace the sensor and fit a gauge, but that would get rid of the coolant over temp switch then?

welshpug

anything with a gauge in a 205 will have two senders/switches, you probably have a blanking plug or a casting not drilled yet on the head or thermostat housing.

Wallby

Ah right, that makes more sense! Ill have a look later to see if I can see a blanking plug, if not ill keep my eye out for a housing with 2 sensors.

Thinking about it, if I have a tu24 head, would that have a hole ready for the sensor? Ill have to look later!

What size thread does the sensor have?

Edited by Wallby

allye

Hi Wallby, good to see this updated! Any recent photos?

I fitted a water temp guage to my Rallye when it had the TU engine, it was a few years ago now, but I'm certain I simply used one of the sensors in the thermostat which worked great.

As for location, I went for here,

gauge.jpg

welshpug

on servicebox it shows the switch screwed in under the thermostat, and either a blanking plug or a sender in the top.

both are M14x1.25 thread, sender probably still available as it is not marked nfp, 1337 72, about £11.50.

have you got the base model cluster or an XS or GTI unit?

welshpug

as it happens, its the same sender as an XU, so I probably have a few in the spares box.

Wallby

th_DC5441BE-F301-4FD2-A045-00407FAF4A15-

This is my thermostat housing, which has a switch/sender coming out of the top. Ill have to check underneath it later to see if there is a blanking plug there.

I have a base model cluster. I can't remember if I switched the thermostat housing from my original engine over to my tu24, if the housing is the tu24 one then there should be a blanking plug (or maybe even a sensor, but I doubt it) there! It could be that there is a switch and a sensor there but only one plugged in as I still have the loom from the rallye.

Thanks for your help guys, Ill have a look later and report back!

Wallby

Managed to get a quick 2 minutes out the garage last night to have a look at the housing.

th_AEB5FF22-C0BE-45BD-A965-F4383F8C70BC-

Its hard to see really but it feels as though there is a blanking plug there. Can that be knocked out? If not then it looks like Ill have to get a housing with 2 holes!

Welshpug, would I be able to get a sender off you?

welshpug

Doesn't look to be drilled or tapped, no blanking plug there so probably was the original UK wallye housing, no big deal though, bung a 12.8mm drill through then a 14x1.25 tap.

I think I found one last night, will confirm it works etc.

allye

Pretty sure you don't need to do that, I just used the sensor/sender what ever it is on the top of the housing and it worked well. I didn't change anything on my original TU housing.

Wallby

I suppose it will depend on if there is a switch or sender fitted into the hole currently. I don't think the switch will work with a gauge.

I could just swap the switch for a sender and connect that up to a gauge but it would be good to have the 2 and keep the over temp warning.

Wallby

Well this weekend could be the start of upgrading the front end to gti spec and fitting some lovely Bilsteins with Eibach springs. Im hoping to get the old subframe and everything off this weekend, get the gear selector pivot moved in the week and refit next weekend. Sounds easy...

th_E4A428C3-CA98-46E0-8A21-0C8546C056C7-

Wallby

Made good progress on getting the old subframe off on the weekend, however the front 2 bolts that connect the subframe to the chassis leg have stripped the thread and won't come off!

As it's a base model it has a rubber joint in between the subframe and chassis leg, so I am going to take these off and replace them with new. Am I right in thinking there are 2 types, rubber and solid, and that these were used on 309s and the euro rallye? Part number 352339?

th_14C4182A-A2F6-43A5-BC10-D62535F2A39B-

Old verses new...

th_764B7862-9219-4DFF-9333-3394EF5D8BD9-

Wallby

Having trouble getting the metal subframe/chassis leg mounts, part no. 352339, apparently they are NFP.

Can get the rubber ones, part number 352333, but they are £22 each plus vat which seems a lot!

Anyone have any other ideas?

welshpug

I guess its the base model chassis leg that is different and you have to use these?

I'd be tempted to make something myself really.

Wallby

Yeah the legs are different, and there are 2 different types of these mounts. The tu24 and 309s use solid ones which I'm trying to find

Wallby

Have sourced all the bits I need now, the last bits should be delivered next week!

I have painted and cleaned up everything ready to go back on. Can't wait to get it all back together now!

Bilstein sprint lines built up with eibach springs, new bearings and group n rubbers,

th_2D4EAEE9-F516-4216-8969-80E44FC267BC-

th_A80E26FE-7BAD-4943-8B62-E13D8175E75D-

Gear lever bracket moved to tu position

th_8FE62280-D5DB-4FD0-B773-9DD61D54044D-

New subframe compared to old. Can anyone spot the problem I've come across???

th_5E595598-61DB-4281-BEEF-7C6C54175D25-

welshpug

no ARB?

Wallby

Nope got that, look at the wishbones!

welshpug

ohhh! oops!

Wallby

Oops indeed! 1 205 and 1 309 wishbone!

Glad I found out now rather than when it was all together but still a bit annoyed, the seller ain't answering my calls either!

Wallby

I've torqued the top mount nut up and the shocks feel very stiff, if I put all my weight on them they don't move!

Is this normal and will be ok with the weight of the car on them or is something amiss?

jonXS

If there not fitted to a car you'll be lucky to even move them, id say there be fine once fitted.

i tried similar on mine before i fitted them. There was no chance lol

oh BTW nice progress, liking the car

Edited by jonXS

Wallby

Thanks for that. I just wanted to check that something wasn't obviously wrong before putting it all back together