• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Kezzer30

[Body_Work] Project Eclipse 1.9 1990 205 Gti

Kezzer30

So after some long hours flatting and buffing , eventually it all came good and managed to get the bonnet on with a working catch as out if the two i had on others one was bent and the other seized but i managed to sort it haha .

Ok so some pics of the final product

null_zps423d445d.jpg

null_zpsbe460c22.jpg

null_zpsfb562f5c.jpg

null_zpsd1fc9cce.jpg

Very flat and im very happy :) best thing ive painted , not bad for an amateur

Juttie205

just need to adjust it on the front with the rubber feet as it sits lower than the wings but paintwork looks great you should be really happy with it well done.

Kezzer30

just need to adjust it on the front with the rubber feet as it sits lower than the wings but paintwork looks great you should be really happy with it well done.

Hahah yes i do bud , was in a rush putting it on as was running late for work and with it being a brand new bonnet it had no catches and runners on etc , but i did managed to straighten my grill thats being on the piss for months lmao

Robbiedundy

Nice job you're making with this, I reckon clear side repeaters would be cool, and maybe white writing on the rear quarter badges? :P

Are you doing anything with your old auto bonnet? I'm looking for one for my project :) Cheers.

Kezzer30

The story so far.

So this seems like a good time to summaries and explain abit more detail in areas about the car and myself , so if you have a spare 10 mins or so grab a brew and have a read.

So a lot of what I will say here you can find in this project thread but this is a all round summary of my story so far.

It was my 23rd birthday when the story began fully it was the day I was legally insured to drive a 1.9 205 gti September the 30th 2012 .

I received the car a month or so before and was a standard white with gold wheels an old back box and a k and n induction kit. I got no history at all with her and it had been stood around for a least a year with very little use (maybe longer )

I had it sprayed for the cost of paint and isn't the best job but il be personally sorting this out in due course. So it came to the day I had never drove it and was very excited but unfortunately I very soon realised something was wrong , the electric where all messed up and the speedo did not work and the battery was on its last legs , also had a bad oil leak and would refuse to idle without stalling , also all four tyres where pretty much done for , so on my birthday she spent all day in the garage :( £400 later and she was all good other than the tyres which I had sorted soon after for a further £200 .

So I had a very good running 205 gti and how she made me smile , so quick and feeling like a super car compared to my only other 2 cars I've owned (x2 306 1.4)

Car profile

Maintenance

Time to que graham smith a man who came into my life when I needed someone to sort out my rear beam, he is a honest and hard working guy who I am very glad I met as he has done most of the work on the car since the garage did initially. And has never let me down and always helped me out.

Rear beam - the car has had a full rear beam rebuild , down to the last seal and bearing , I even got a treated beam tube aswel. And lowered 40mm

Front disc , pads and drop links

New front springs lowered 40 mm

New alternator belt

New Cambelt and tensioner

Work graham did not do (before I met him)

New speedo cable

New stainless steel water pipe (behind the wing)

4 new budget tyres

New oil pressure switch

New headlight connectors

New fog lights and wiring

New battery

A very small amount of work I carried out

New rotor arm

New spark plugs

New ht leads

Current work being undertaken

Brand new head and head gasket

Manifold to be replaced and down pipe

Fully refurbed fuel injectors

New thermostat

New water pump

Replacement expansion tank and a few hoses

So as you can see in less than a year I have not mistreated the car at all and spent a lot of money to save her.

Bodywork.

Que me , a few years ago I decided I really wanted to learn how to paint cars , the ability to save and old car and return it to its former glory is something I enjoy. It been along road from doing rattle can odds and sod to having a workshop and getting the hang of it and managing to produce a few good pieces of spraying.

The body got resprayed in Diablo red and I did not do any of it , it was not a perfect job by any means and I will be looking to improve it as I stated above .

Valances- I sprayed both of these myself there are not perfect at all and I did this just before I got the car and had a poor compressor and gun and tbh didn't know what I know know .

Wheels- I sprayed these white myself , again I use the poor compressor and are far from perfect but not bad if I'm being honest but I will be redoing these .

Black plastic trim- these i colour coded myself (Diablo red) I used a much better compressor did them on the car and in a very small garage with no ventilation and very dusty , these are to bad all thing considered but once again I will be replacing these with a much better job

Rear boot panel - I smoothed this off myself and was very proud of it , came out very nice but doesn't fit flush due to the lack of bend it now has and tbh it's sunk in places so I will need to redo another with some new ideas .

Front grill - filling is something I have very far from mastered but I am very very happy of this job I have done recently the paint work is very good and the filling isn't bad at all .

Auto bonnet - I'm on my 2nd one now the first had too much paint on it and was dinted so badly , despite my best efforts at filling it wasn't great and all the paintwork sunk due to some shoddy priming but also due to the a mount of times it had been painted, however I managed to grab a 2ndone which was brand new , I put everything I had learn into it and is a fantastic job with a very flat finish and very little orange peel its my proudest job to date, it's also the last thing I have sprayed.

Mirrors - I've sprayed these gloss black but it was a quick job due to my mirrors been abit broke so il be doing a better job on a new set , however having said that they are pretty good despite this.

Interior

This I have left alone , other than a new steering wheel a stereo and some speakers etc

I've treated the leather and washed the carpet a few times.

Life changing

When I had my last 306 I really wanted to get out and meet some new people but despite a lot of time and money and making the 306 different I never did and made sure I would not miss out again , at the turn of this year I said to the mrs I will defiantly be going to some meets eat this year and so I have stuck to my word .

The lakes trip

The first meet of any kind I've been to and I loved it , the car was lowered on the front but not the back after running short on time to complete the full rear beam rebuild , on roads like what you get in the lakes it made for an interesting specticle and keeping up with everyone else was well archived despite this, although for anyone following it must have been some sight haha.

I met some cracking people on this and it really did break the ice for me and made me wanting to turn up at more events .

Pug fest

This was my 2nd outing and once again it was great , I did the longest drive ever in the 205 or anycar in fact 175miles there and then again back and she never skipped a beat , I met even more new faces at this one and they where all very nice and kind , the mrs loved it even the camping haha

Retro rides

This was my favourite outing (until the end ) il get to that later , loved it the car was looking it best since I've had her and was gleaming in the sun , some fantastic other cars there and it was a great day out .

Who I've met so far

Graham smith , nice guy , quality mechanic , always welcome in my life

Calvin storey , joker abit like myself , nice guy , envy that he has loads of cars haha

Tom Kirkland , nice humble lad , very greatful for letting me stay over the night before retro rides, will always have time for him.

Mark Dixon, very nice lad , looks like Jesus but I've not seen him turn water to wine , but loves his ale so maybe he can do something with that haha. Works hard for the club and forum which I have upmost respect for .

Henry Yorke and matt Evans seem like top lads hopefully bump into them again soon.

Have met a few other but not talked to enough haha hopefully more people in the next year or so

Twist in the tale

In the time I've had the car she has never let me down but unfortunately this came to a horrible end just a few days ago , after leaving for home after retro rides she finally did , and couldn't have picked a worse time , I was 5 mile into my 175mile journey back home and all seemed as usual until I noticed she was smoking from the exhaust , this literally lasted about 5 seconds and stopped , I checked all the dials and all was as normal . I pulled onto the motorway and within a min the oil temp hit the last notch which it had never done in the entire time I owned the car (gets to 2nd to last and fans cool it down) , I turned on the heaters and for another few seconds it seemed to have worked as it came back down slightly , but then the stop light appeared and within seconds it went past the last notch and into the red and the light came on , I quickly pulled over and as soon as I stopped smoke/steam came streaming from under the bonnet and I knew it was bad , I rang graham and he said what I hoped be wouldn't "sound like your headgasket" and I had no choice but to ring a recovery company but with no breakdown cover I knew it was going to be costly , £520 and 10 and a half hours later I got the car to my home.

Gutted just didn't cut it , my car means everything other than the mrs of course , and she was broken and so was I , graham jumped in and on Tuesday he came down and took my head off (not mine the cars ) and sure enough she was well and truly gone , and it had been on the cards for a while by the looks of it .

A silver lining

I am currently getting buses and taxis to work and it feels very degrading and I hate it but a s,all amount of patience and it will come very good very soon , Graham's noticed a few things and made a few good points to me , with a new head coming and new injectors and a new gasket the car is going to be back to almost full power which it will certainly not have had since I've owned it , also noticing I has a cracked exhaust manifold and a pretty much done for downpipe , replacing these will help aswel , so despite forking out another wedge of cash I'm going to end up with a more powerful and responsive 205 which tbh I loved before :) so rest assured Tuesday the 27th cannot come soon enought ( current planned fix date )

A final summary

Since joining this forum and the 205 scene I've been laughed at made fun of , respected and aprishiated , the car has been fiddled with tweaked changed but finally coming good , I'd just like to say a big thanks to all , have made this a good journey so far and keep this forum running its a great thing to be part of and plenty of fantastic people on here .

Thanks for reading and any comments are welcome .

null_zps1a56ed27.jpg

Car at retro rides

null_zps29e4404f.jpg

Head gasket done for

null_zps049b549c.jpg

As she is now :(

Edited by Kezzer30

calvinhorse

Brought a tear to my eye :D

Tesstuff

Brought a tear to my eye :D

Crocodile tears maybe Ice heart man :P

Very nice write up Adam, you are a credit to the community :D

• Like 1

Kezzer30

Well it hasn't happen and I'm still with no car , it all seemed like I was going to have her alive again on Wednesday as we has skipped a few jobs to save time , ( changing the exhaust system and injectors ) , but turns out the water pump motorquip supplied me with is too big , in fact a diesel water pump with the flanges at 69mm rather than 60 , so she remains lifeless in the garage and I have to fork more out on travel to work today grrrr

However while graham was doing valve clearances I decided to sprouse on or two things up , graham found me an uncracked manifold from the scrappers and as expected it was rusty as hell so I sanded it down like so

bcc892638b9278f2c8abd72e602b4c78_zps3318

Then I painted it up using some black high temp paint

f6f0e1560ef1d1aa4fdae3ea25e0d3a3_zps503d

I then did a few other bits

185e5d97ade2be717845e57a39b8cd23_zps5047

Kezzer30

Ok so finally she's back and I'm a happy man , and what a wonderful car she now is , better than ever and a big thank you to graham smith for all his help , so a quick list of things done

New head gasket

New water pump

New thermostat

Virtually new expansion tank ( great scrapyard find ) I also fixed the water sensor which works fully

Replace manifold with an uncracked one

Still to do is new exhaust system and the refurbed injectors to put in

The car is becoming a real keeper now it's had a lot of work done in the last year I'm delighted with it. It's has a small smartness to the engine bay aswel now with a few shinys haha , a lot still to do but il get there

43a74e25978d093d8dafcd88ca8c1982_zpsa740

cybernck

Great topic and grear work. I liked the progression too.

Have you thought about fitting clear side repeaters?

Kezzer30

So I guess it time I updated this , it's being a torrid year for me and the poor205 has sat on my drive unloved since I got the new car pretty much a year , I had a job in the same place for 7 + years and In the past year had a further 3! So as you can imagine its being crazy , money has being silly tight in the last 6 months but things seems to finally picking up but it's early days, I have grown abit more confident and I've actually being working in a garage for 4-5months although it was mainly subarus and the place was a joke I did learn a few things and the 205 can only benefit from me knowing abit more , having said that I'm still no mechanic , and I'm now back into to .

So the 205 ran out of tax and mot about 11 months ago and one problem it had just before I parked her up was it needed a fair few turns of the key before it tried to start now after being sat it actually won't at all, at the time I had no clue but now i decided is the time to have a proper go at fixing it , so I took the starter motor off today and the earth was very corroded unfortunately so much so the small metal connector snapped off on removal :( , so tommorow il be getting a different one and hopefully she will start . I will update accordingly .

The future plan .

Main one is to get it back on the road , all welding will be done and it will be repainted , and made very low with some nice deep dish alloys a euro look sort of theme , for some of you this will be a big no no but it will never be my everyday car , and it will only have a few unstandard touches . It's going to be a long process but main thing is not letting her rot away especially with the amount of work that was done before I parked it up , new head , Cambelt , water pump , fully rebuilt rear beam etc

Kezzer30

20141123_145645_zpsmyvkz5qo.jpg

The latest imagine of her, she got me for leaving her so long haha

Kezzer30

So great news went over to the scrapyard this morning and picked up a 206 gti starter motor , came home and after a bit of wire swapping got it fitted nicely and she did fire up , unfortunate she wasn't happy mis firing and not idling , managed to tweak the air flow meter and got it running nice for about 1 min and then she ran out of fuel lmao but great stuff all in all was very happy to get her alive after a year , will be getting it ready for an mot over the next few weeks

calvinhorse

206 gti starter motor? :o

• Like 1

welshpug

most of the ew starters fit fine I think, might be same part numbers.

Edited by welshpug

Kezzer30

206 gti starter motor? :o

Yep , seems to crank abit quicker aswel and with it being a lot newer a good little accidental upgrade , ps graham told me that one would fit lmao and they had just had a 206 gti come in a week or so ago so lucky me and at £25 price wasn't too bad

camgti

Just read this through.

Awesome work mate. Good on you for being different. I was your age once and love that period of my life and expressing my self on my car.

Glad to see its back running. Looking very much forward to more updates

Cam

Kezzer30

Just read this through.

Awesome work mate. Good on you for being different. I was your age once and love that period of my life and expressing my self on my car.

Glad to see its back running. Looking very much forward to more updates

Cam

Cheers mate, and I will be updating it a lot now .

Small update, other issue I had with this before I parked her up was the drivers window had fallen into the door as the channel had rusted off , I left the window wedged up but there has being a small gap in which water has got in a filled the drivers footwell :( , so on the weekend hopefully graham will fix the window and the new part is on order and I will sort the carpet mats and water out etc

Kezzer30

So had a go at trying to fix the drivers window today as it had fallen into the door and I had wedged it up but a small gap was at the top and has let water into the foot well ,

I took off all the inside of the door and found the issue

20141201_112519_zpswffonou7.jpg

I replaced it with a new one but not to full success for some reason the rollers just roll out of the new piece no matter what I do etc , I have a mate who will be coming to have a look in case I'm just being stupid but on a plus note the window in now in and up and won't leak anymore water into the car .

I also stuck some fuel in and she started and ran fine so that's great news also , threw the old mats out will get some new ones and gave her a wash .

20141201_112526_zpsfvd94rvp.jpg

20141201_112910_zpsryzwritb.jpg

2014-12-01_15.49.17_zps5ribskg5.jpg

Kezzer30

Ok so I officially made a start on her refurb yesterday , first job was to get her into my garage for the first stage. I needed to free off the rear brakes as they were well and truly stuck on , after removing the pads and carriers on both sides and cleaning them up the car was free , and I managed to get her in .

20150111_124150_zpska7vumsk.jpg

And to day I made a start on removing all the bits that can be taken off to be painted etc , front and rear bumpers and verlance and all the trims and rear boot panel as that's being replaced with an original etc

20150112_155906_zpsb1gyfpvj.jpg

20150112_172902_zpswmzc5cik.jpg

20150112_180139_zpsunaejfqd.jpg

Still need to take a few more bits off these will be painted separately to the car etc

Kezzer30

So today I continued to crack on with getting more of her stripped down , door cards removed , side badges , wing mirrors , slam panel , headlights , fans , radiator , air filter , air flow meter , windscreen wash bottle , expansion bottle, and strut brace all off

20150118_194514_zpsdu5mzlkv.jpg

Kezzer30

So I did a bit more on her today , rear windows out , rear lights out , spoiler off , boot carpet out , window seals off , boot seal off , exhaust removed from engine , and a few other pipes etc , not a huge amount to do before the engine and box can be dropped out

Kezzer30

044f77d34fde42cbfcb5b3c82da4fca9_zpse3a2

Final few bits done today , gear linkages , heater matrix hoses and clutch cable all remove and then the wiring loom has being removed from the engine

Kezzer30

So with a list of things to do a mile long I made a start of a few things , I have a full badge refresh set for both rear panel and side badges , so I found my old boot badged sanded them down and put a few coats of black over to refresh the background bits ready for the full refresh set.

Also sanded the boot panel and side badges and primer ed them , ready for a high gloss black and refresh the red etc

20150125_200108_zpsmv99m55p.jpg

20150125_203540_zpspilxsd0v.jpg

20150125_210021_zpstejcrld4.jpg

20150125_210300_zpsra5djvdw.jpg