• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuartcampbell1100

Peugeot 205 Steering Colum Universal Joint On (Pas)

stuartcampbell1100

Hi there,im looking for some help....

My 205 1.8 Diesel mardi grass m reg (94) 5 door has odd stiff steering when going lock to lock,it will be free then suddenly stiffen then go smooth then stiffen etc. i have changed both top strut bearings and there are no leaks from the power steering,checked tyres etc...i have decided the (uj) universal joint has worn and there is an awful lot of play in the steering wheel when stationary,i have looked everywhere and am stuck on what to do as its no ran out of m.o.t and will fail because of the (UJ)

Im wondering if there is anybody out there that can tell me where to buy new or rebuild ones or even a second hand one for sale?? any help?

i got a quote of £170 for a new one from arnold clark but theres no way im paying that haha

im stuck,could you help me?

Thanks Stuart

Anton green

This is not a definitive answer but may help you from spending the £170 if you get desperate. I looked at getting a new UJ about 5 years ago and was quoted ~£40

I don't know where you've gone to get your quote but £170 certainly seems steep, maybe ring round some more?

SPGTi

I got one from peugeotparts.co.uk. A good used one was £30 or a brand new pug oe one was 69 I think.

Steve

Adamstanford
On 10/8/2012 at 6:45 PM, stuartcampbell1100 said:

Hi there,im looking for some help....

My 205 1.8 Diesel mardi grass m reg (94) 5 door has odd stiff steering when going lock to lock,it will be free then suddenly stiffen then go smooth then stiffen etc. i have changed both top strut bearings and there are no leaks from the power steering,checked tyres etc...i have decided the (uj) universal joint has worn and there is an awful lot of play in the steering wheel when stationary,i have looked everywhere and am stuck on what to do as its no ran out of m.o.t and will fail because of the (UJ)

Im wondering if there is anybody out there that can tell me where to buy new or rebuild ones or even a second hand one for sale?? any help?

i got a quote of £170 for a new one from arnold clark but theres no way im paying that haha

im stuck,could you help me?

Thanks Stuart

Did this fix the issue? Sounds exactly like my problem, just replaced the top mounts which were knackered but the steering problem is still the same 

Ozymandis

Blather the lower joint in gear oil and turn it from lock to lock with the wheels off the floor, this gets a little lube in the rollers and frees em up if they arent  rusty.

Even better remove the joint and soak it in a container overnight, working it from extreme to extreme occasionally.

There are rubber seals on the bearings but they do let some of the oil in especially if you carefully peel them up with a small driver or pick tool, and this often frees em up.

If You have a joint with a rubber section then keep the oil off that bit.

If You remove the joint then it will be obvious if its stiff, sometimes one plane of movement is fine and the other is stiff.