• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
V8Pete

Gaz Coilover Installation Question

V8Pete

I bought a set of Gaz Gold coilovers about three years ago and have only just gotten around to getting ready to fit them but I've hit a bit of a snag.

I didn't get adjustable top mounts at the time, and have a vague memory of reading they could be used with standard Pug top mounts. Is this correct? If so, I can't for the life of me figure out how it all goes together. I assumed I could just swap the standard spring top keeper plate for the blue Gaz thing, but it looks wrong and the thread for the top nut would be too short. Does the blue bit just go straight under the standard cup thing under the rubber with the roller bearing removed or just straight under the rubber or something?

2C50A50A.gif

Thanks.

johnnyboy666

bit tricky to explain from that pic, but with mine (gaz gha) just remove the spring and the first bit on top of the spring in that pic and fit all the rest as it shows. There shouldve been a plate type thing with the gaz's that fits on top of the spring then into the bearing thing.

dont fit it without the bearing or under the rubber! that'll make steering impossible!

did they ask you when you bought them if you were going to use standard or rose jointed top mounts? I think they might have more thread on ones for standard top mounts.

having said that, once you get the nut on the top, and start tightening it, it should squeeze everything together a little bit and you should get enough threads engaged

V8Pete

Oops. I just had a search through old emails and found that I selected

Modified for ecc top mounts: Yes

GAZ ecc top mounts: No

Damn. Mystery solved though, thankfully.

Do pretty much any adjustable top mounts tend to work, or would I likely need the Gaz eccentric type?

Is anyone able to give measurements for the threaded length on the pistons for the eccentric top mount and non-eccentric top mount type just to confirm what I've got infront of me?

Edited by V8Pete

welshpug

they're made by compbrake for gaz afaik, but yes pretty much any will fit.

all you'll need if you want to fit them withthe original top mount type is a different upper spring pan, will look like a ring than a cone.

Baz

all you'll need if you want to fit them withthe original top mount type is a different upper spring pan, will look like a ring than a cone.

Are you sure? I thought it was Gaz that was one of the ones that needs a little more than that as the tops are machined differently to accept standard or spherical bearing top mounts etc?

V8Pete

Success! I emailled Gaz and he sent me a set of top spring keepers to suit standard top mounts (the black ones) straight away.

vsp9ja.jpg

33k7gwj.jpg

nyeog2.jpg