• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
miura

Can A Late Ltd Edition Sorrento Green Have Ph2 Light Clusters?

miura

Hi all!

First topic for and not a fascinating one I am afraid...

I am on the hunt for my 3rd GTI and am looking at this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-GTi-1-6-/120978432976?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c2ae063d0#ht_1552wt_1344

Registered in August 1990 means it is a late phase 1.5 Ltd Edition.

As you can see it has ph2 indicators and rear lights. I thought all Ltd Editions had phase 1 lights?

I would normally assume that these were modified by a previous owner however the car is otherwise completely standard down to the Kenwood stereo.

Which brings my question: Is it possible that some of the very late phase 1.5 Ltd Edition were fitted at the factory with Ph2 light clusters?

I like my 205s totally standard looks wise so wouldn't want to retrofit ph1 lights if in reality it was born with Ph2 lights????

THANK YOU :P

GLPoomobile

Hmmmm. A late 90 could be a parts bin special, but I would have thought they'd have kept al the true LTD edition ones consistant. I've never heard of, or seen a standard LTD ed with phase 2 lights. Also, the other thing that springs to mind is the seats. I didn't think the LTD ed had red stitching (I know red stitched ones were availble but they are even rarer), maybe someone else like Henry Yorke can clarify that as my memory is a bit hazy on the matter.

Simes, mine (white 1.6) is an 89 reg and has Ph2 rear lights and clear front indicators. I have no proof that they haven't been swapped at some stage in it's life, but the fact that I have photos from a previous owner years ago, at a time when the car was 100% standard in and out, and was kept in concours condition, makes me think it rolled out the factory that way. Anyway, the mix and match of parts on late Ph1.5s has been discussed to death, just not in respect of the LTD ed models.

miura

Thank you!

I am no expert on the ltd edition but a quick search on google images suggests red stiching on grey leather is correct. I would be of course interested in expert opinion!

I know in all logic this car should have ph1 lights but i am baffled that an HPI clear car, absolutely non moded (even the stereo is standard!) would have had an owner that would bother with modifications to the wiring loom and the reversing light just to get later lights on ... sounds strange to me ...

vtifan

mine has red stitching with grey leather

dcc

looks like it has a phase 2 engine loom, by the positioning of the coil?

but phase 1.5 grey plastic interior.

phase 1.5 expansion tank.

thats still a very nice and clean looking car, even if it has had things done which possibly shouldnt have been done for the purist.

Daviewonder

The red stitching is correct. It could just be something simple like one of the previous owners fancied freshening up the look and added phase 2 lights.

At least it's easy enough to swap them to phase 1 if you wanted to.

Daviewonder

looks like it has a phase 2 engine loom, by the positioning of the coil?

but phase 1.5 grey plastic interior.

phase 1.5 expansion tank.

thats still a very nice and clean looking car, even if it has had things done which possibly shouldnt have been done for the purist.

Mine is an April 1990 limited edition and has that loom, I believe they all did.

Edited by Daviewonder

Anthony

Late Phase 1.5's had the Phase 2 type engine bay loom with the inlet mounted coil. It appeared in 1990 at around the same time as the move to BE3 gearboxes and a few other changes, leading to those late Phase 1.5 cars sometimes being refereed to as Phase 1.75.

That I'm aware of, none of the limited edition cars ever had Phase 2 lights as standard, even those that were registered on an H reg. Many however, like that linked to above, will have had them retrofitted at a later point in time, as was very popular to make the early cars look like the (at the time) more desirable later cars.

It does at a glance appear to be a genuine limited edition Sorrento 1.6.

PS. Is that the first sensibly priced car I've seen listed by 4 star? Normally they're asking absolute top dollar.

welshpug

have a look at the vin plate, phase 2's from memory have version 2 stamped on them.

Baz

As said it's just been messed about with, the driving lights aren't the right type either.

It was reg'd on the 1st Aug, so would've only just been on an H-plate.

It's not 105bhp either.

And yes, wow, a semi-sensibly priced car from 4star...!!

miura

Late Phase 1.5's had the Phase 2 type engine bay loom with the inlet mounted coil. It appeared in 1990 at around the same time as the move to BE3 gearboxes and a few other changes, leading to those late Phase 1.5 cars sometimes being refereed to as Phase 1.75.

That I'm aware of, none of the limited edition cars ever had Phase 2 lights as standard, even those that were registered on an H reg. Many however, like that linked to above, will have had them retrofitted at a later point in time, as was very popular to make the early cars look like the (at the time) more desirable later cars.

It does at a glance appear to be a genuine limited edition Sorrento 1.6.

PS. Is that the first sensibly priced car I've seen listed by 4 star? Normally they're asking absolute top dollar.

thank you, all useful info ...

miura

well, I will never get to the bottom of this one ... car sold on Saturday, I got beaten to it.

The hunt continues