• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
John

[engine_work] 405 Gtx To 405 Gti-6

John

This is the car

img_0513.jpg

The Mi16 bumper is at the painters, and so is the Mi16 rear wing :). This is a originally sorrento green 405 GTX with sunroof. I gave up finding a Mi16 in good nick... I just bought a GTX, which is easier to find in Norway.

Its lowered 40mm and has Mi16 wheels. Recently had the right channel replaced as part of the MOT because of rust. I will also overhaul the rear beam with 20mm or 21mm bars before I put the engine in. The complete front suspension has new bushings, dampers, coils, arm links etc. Almost all break pipes has been replaced with new ones. Right driveshaft is replaced with a new one, and the other one has been overhauled with new rubber gaiters. The engine mounts has been replaced by GRP.N from Baker (roof shakes like hell though). Car handles really well with all things replaced. The good interior rattles is there and is making all the right Pug noises. This a seriously comfy ride :D.

The engine thats in it atm is really crappy, lots of blue smoke when I crank it up at the morning :-D.

This is the engine

IMG_0547.JPG

I bought this complete GTI-6 engine thats done 60.000miles from a guy. Its a ph1 engine, came from England to Norway then has been used in a VTS for 1000 miles then sold to someone who never got around to put it in his 205. So I was the one who ended up with it! Valve seals was done 1000miles before I bought it. Timing belt, water pump, head gasket was replaced as well at this time. It came with a original exhaust manifold and the engine loom. Did not come with intake manifold and ECU. I have bought a intake manifold separately already thats complete. The engine might be missing some rubber pipes, but those can allways be replaced as I go. Im still looking for a unlocked GTI-6 ECU. I will buy a lightened billet steel flywheel from someone on the 306gti6.com forum. Im also looking into GRP.N cams.

The gearbox I will use is one from a 1.9L Mi16 as the gears is shorter than on the GTX. I won't go through the hassle of chopping up things to get the GTI-6 box in there.

At the moment I'm preparing the engine to be painted. Thinking about white block and head along with the Peugeot Sport flag over the head. Ive seen that scheme on a Mi16 engine before and think its looks really nice.

The engine will be test fitted to see what needs doing in regards to the exhaust manifold.

John

IMG_0561.JPG

Intake manifold

I will paint this in silver metallic paint.

John

Today I got my freshly painted front bumper and wing mounted up :)

I know its dark, but its Norway and this is at 6pm :blink:... Its dark.

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

My painter did a good job as usual:

IMG_0564.JPG

Ive also been working on rust on the floor near the chassis rubber plugs. There was actually quite a big hole once i removed the body mass compound... This is now welded on both sides. I will be removing the rear beam soon to chop those stuck bars and replace them with Berlingo bars (20mm I believe, which should be about 50% stiffer than Mi16)

The inlet manifold has been sandblasted. I think I might keep it blasted instead of painted. It does look great "natural".

welshpug

mi16 is 20mm, some berlingo models use 21.3mm

cammmy

I've read that inlets should be kept silver to reflect heat. Does look good grey though

rodionski

How come the 2.0 Mi16/S16 and T16 were all black then? ;)

John

Assembled together again

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

Also cleaned the inside of the manifold that was absolutely gutted with oil vapor crap:

IMG_1005.JPG

cammmy

Plastic?

B1ack_Mi16

The T16 ones are not ... only the very late ones might be.

Most T16 ones are cast aluminium.

John

Well then, unlocked ECU on the way. Ordered spoox silicone oil breathers.

Cam covers off to painters (going to paint it black and grind away color on letters), block is painted with black hammerite. Ordered shiny stainless nuts n bolts for camcovers, coilpacks, and inlet. Need to order new pulleys and aux belt because I will not be using the AC. Pondering if i should buy a aluminium pulley to replace that harmonic balancer, dont want it to slip (looks to be in good nick though).

Will try to get some pics soon.

Theres still the issues with the ex. manifold, but will cover that as I start fitting it this summer.

Edited by John

chris adams

i cant see the pics just got boxes with red x in them and get error warning on the link :(

Edited by mi8 turbo

John

I think many of the pics has been lost sadly, as the webserver that hosted them got pulled down...

This is the pics I have:

When I got the car was looking like this (everything worked, even sunroof, no problems):

37_1940581056.jpg

Couple weeks after I got it after some clean up and swap of wheels to TSW Venom 225/50R16

img_0315.jpg

Fitted new suspension parts (40mm lower) all around. Including sandblasting the arms and smacking on new bush all around:

img_0320.jpg

img_0512.jpg

img_0324.jpg

Stripping another 405 for parts:

img_0327.jpg

Pretty rotten sills were exchanged:

img_0951.jpg

img_0956.jpg

Picked up GTI6 engine with low mileage, lacking some parts, was rebuilt fairly recent. I believe this engine actually came from a gti6 in England:

img_0548.jpg

John

Some more pics after the Mi16 styling was painted.

Actually been done some more cosmetic work after this as well.

Edited by John

John

Currently investigating the wiring loom some.

Turns out the multiplug into the car has the same partnumber.

Also stumbled upon a guy on 205gti forum that posted 405 ph2s with magneti marelli 8p has the same loom into the car as GTI6.

Might make things easier if thats the case! :) Lambda sensor has same partnumber as well, so thats a few quids saved. Will try to trace the wiring on the GTX this weekend to hopefully verify the loom busniess.

Edited by John

John

I decided to use a Mi16 gearbox. Thats supposed to be something inbetween 1.6GTI and 1.9GTI ratios.

Got all of the wiring loom figured now.

IMG_0658.JPG

A unlocked ECU of a 306 Rallye.

IMG_0660.JPG

Was missing some nuts & bolts for inlet and coils and I stumled over a guy on 306gti6.com forum that sold stainless nuts & bolts :).

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0664.JPG

Pretty much just going to assemble all stuff onto lump and its ready to go in soon.. Still need to get a non-AC aux setup though.

Edited by John

John

Engine is now ready to go into car.

Only lacking correct gearbox, but working on that...

John

photomai1181300pm.jpg

Engine now ready to be taken out :)

chris adams

whats happened to the ecu n code box from that engine.

John

What do you mean?

John

Rolled the engine out of the shed

img0791llp.jpg

Did a trial fit, but no really a point as Im still waiting for a new clutch to fit before I mount up the gearbox.

img0795g.jpg

chris adams

What do you mean?

the ecu n codebox from the 2.0 8 valve engine do you still have them i need new ecu with coded box for my cab as i had the ecu uncoded and they fked it

John

Did a trial fit with the box on now.

- Manifold hitting ARB as expected.

- Manifold flange hitting gear shaft, not as expected!

What I will do is to remove the weld on the flange and extend the tubing after the collector by about 3 cm and reweld the flange on. Second I need to try and bend the bend (:-P) that's hitting the ARB. If thats a no go I'm afraid I need to chop that up and reweld it further up, which I really dont want to do as it will no longer be equal length then...

Other than that its looking good:

img0207i.jpg

img0212r.jpg

Other small tasks to do is manufacture a new PAS pressure pipe and a return hose, cut down the downpipe alot, solder all the wires (same wire numbers luckily). The cooling system is pretty straight forward with the help of the thermostat house push-on adapter from Spoox.

Edited by John