• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

Mi16 Head And Manifolds On Rfv Xu10J4R (Zx)

Hi,

I'm from Israel so if I have any mistakes, sorry in advance.

I have a ZX volcane with RFV engine.

A few days ago I got an Mi16 head with manifolds that came with 70mm throttle body. (have not measured...)

The state of the RFV engine in my car right now:

1. No catalytic converter

2. GTI6 fuel pump (or so the seller said)

3. GTI6 injectors (They are green anyway...)

The question is, what do I need to make the Mi16 head work on the RFV block?

A few problems I thought about:

1. How many coils the Mi16 have? the RFV have two, How do I connect them?

2. Timing belt?

3. Ex. manifold? Do I need to make changes to the existing pipe under the car?

4. What head gasket to use?

5. ECU - Can I use the standard BOSCH MP5.2 or do I need a different ECU?

Can I use other BOSCH MPX.X with the 3 row connection?

If I had the equipment to read the ECU maps, is there a software that can help with changing maps?

And finally:

Can it work? or am I waisting my time?

Thanks,

Edited by 700900

welshpug

I have a ZX volcane with RFV engine.

did not know they fitted that engine into a ZX! at least they did not in the UK.

A few days ago I got an Mi16 head with manifolds that came with 70mm throttle body. (have not measured...)

The state of the RFV engine in my car right now:

1. No catalytic converter

no problem.

2. GTI6 fuel pump (or so the seller said)

same as standard ZX

3. GTI6 injectors (They are green anyway...)

this may be a problem, as they are bigger than standard RFV and will not work so well if the ecu has not been mapped.

The question is, what do I need to make the Mi16 head work on the RFV block?

A few problems I thought about:

1. How many coils the Mi16 have? the RFV have two, How do I connect them?

1 or 4, though the number used depends on the ecu, and whether you ahve a 1.9 or 2.0 mi16 head.

2. Timing belt?

2.0 MI16/s16 complete timing kit, inc crankshaft pulley and covers.

3. Ex. manifold? Do I need to make changes to the existing pipe under the car?

S16 manifold, S16 downpipe, that is if you have an S16 head.

4. What head gasket to use?

any XU10, nearly all the same, depends if the head has been skimmed, RFS gasket is MLS as std.

5. ECU - Can I use the standard BOSCH MP5.2 or do I need a different ECU?

can be used, though ACAV will not work if it is a 2.0 inlet, you did not say though.

Can I use other BOSCH MPX.X with the 3 row connection?

If I had the equipment to read the ECU maps, is there a software that can help with changing maps?

yes, if you have access to mapping facilities, though if you already have bosch ecu, no need to change it other than for the ACAV function.

And finally:

Can it work? or am I waisting my time?

it can work, however in my opinion it would be a very large waste of time, the RFV cylinder head is said to flow as well as MI16's as standard, if you use and RFS exhaust manifold they match the ports and flow better than Mi16 manifolds, you will need to change the camshafts for more power, maybe use RFS or aftermarket, possibly need to install RFS valve gear, I dont know the limitations of RFV items.

of course, the best option for cheap outright standard power upgrade is a complete RFS engine.

• Like 1

Great answer! Thanks.

"they" did not fit RFV on ZX - "I" did.... :)

After the conversion I had problems with fuel supply, so first thing I bought the fuel pump, and it helped alot.

But back then (half a year ago) I had a fueling card from the company I worked for and I could only fuel in certain petrol stations. so a few times I drained my fuel tank and clogged the injectors.

could not clean them with my ultrasonic, so I bought the green injectors, it works great with my current standard RFV engine.

I don't know if the head came from 2.0 or 1.9 because it was installed on a friend's RFN engine that a piston rod broke and destroyed the block. (how do I tell if 1.9 or 2.0?)

I do know that there is no idle stepper motor, because of the universal throttle body. but that is less of a problem as today I don't use the idle motor anyway, I disconnected him exactly on 1100 RPM when hot, and it works perfectly with AC. I just learned how to catch the engine with the clutch before he falls down the rpm if on heavy traffic.

Buying an RFS engine is not so easy in Israel. we need to import it from UK. I can count on one hand the number of RFS engines in Israel, it's a problem.

Timing belt, you mentioned all the parts - did you mean I need to change those parts?

ECU - can you please explain what is ACAV? are you talking about that thing in the intake manifolds with the membrane thing? for the low RPM or high RPM? if so, he already told me it's not working...

You said my ECU can be used, can he support the additional fuel needed? I know it's not a big addition of HP so maybe it's within the ecu tolerance?

Or you ment I can use a similar bosch MPX.X "plug and play"?

About mapping the ECU, I though about just buying a chinese reader writer and change the .bin file on my computer, but after reading for hours, I got nowhere with it.

Thanks again.

Sign in to follow this