• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt1900

Poor Starting On 1.9 8V

matt1900

Hi guys,

It spins over sweet but takes ages before it fires, it attempts to fire a little then doesn't then I leave it for a few seconds and try again and after a couple more almosts it fires up fine and runs with no problems at all, I've recently replaced the coil, dizzy cap and arm, plugs and leads as they were a bit worse for wear but the problem persists.

It's worse first thing in the morning when cold and usually fine when re started when hot, but sometimes it does this even when not that cold, so it's mainly a cold start issue but not entirely.

Has anyone encountered a similar starting issue to this?

Cheers :)

Anthony

Does it just spin over on the starter without firing, and eventually starts trying to catch and then fires?

If it's OK starting not long after switching off but won't start after being sat for several hours, it's possibly that the fuel rail is depressuring, meaning that you need the fuel pump to run for several seconds before there's sufficient fuel pressure for the injectors to squirt sufficient fuel. Often this fault is down to the fuel pump allowing fuel to drain back through it and into the tank, but there's numerous things it could be.

Easy enough to prove by using a length of wire to engage the fuel pump relay manually to pressurise the fuel system before cold starting. If it starts easily then, you've found the problem, and if it doesn't, it's obviously something else.

PS. Sort out that location field.

kyepan

as anthony said, i've had a fuel pump with a failing non return valve, the valve that keeps pressure (and fuel) in the system after you switch off, mine went, and so the fuel drained back out of the fuel lines into the tank.. so every time i started it it would turn over and over and over as the fuel is pumped down to the rail.

if it takes a while to start, then once you've started it, you can start it again immediately, but give it 20 mins and it won't.. especially when hot, then you've probably got the same issue. I never got to the bottom of why the car being warm made it worse, but changing the pump solved the issue.

matt1900

Cheers guys, that sounds like a pretty possible suggestion as it does kind of seem like it does when I've run out of fuel in the past. I have a spare fuel pump so I'll swap it over and see if that cures it. ta

Sign in to follow this