• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sean-G

My New 1.6 Gti ---- Possible Tapping/brake Problem

sean-G

hello fellas

just bought my self a 1987 phase 1- 1.6 gti-none sunroof in white :D

i bought this car without looking at it :blush: i know never buy a car without having a look first!!!

anyways i took delivery of it last week

i payed £710 for it which i think is a good price being as its a phase 1 none sunroof with 12month mot and 1owner from new!!!!

so finally got to spend the day yesterday having a nosie round it!

bad point--

*needs a respray (its had a bad respray at some point in its life)

*RUST - around headlights -2/3 spots on roof- above the rear windows in the line/crease-and a few spots here and there

*none oe front wings (belive its had a bump at some point as has a slight dint in the roof just up fron the drivers door)

*has a tow bar attached (hoping its not had much use lmao)

*needs all new trim

*and i belive the the car is a tiny bit sloutched to the right not 100%sure thou could be my mind playing tricks on me as there doesnt seem to be more tyre wear on the right

good points--

* its a phase 1 none-sunny in white ;)

*engine pulls great

*starts 1st time everytime with no leaks or no smoke

*interior is near mint

anyways as its being kept at my step fathers steel profiling factory which is on a large industrial estate and it being a saturday (yesterday) i thought i would have a little blast around in it seeing thou as no other companys on the estate are open on sat.

to my joy it pulls like mad especially for a lil 1.6 :wub: handles like a dream and the feel through the wheel is amazing.but after a few sprited drives around (been driving for 10minutes) i came up to the steel gates in 3rd ready to whip it round to find the brake pedal to drop to the floor and go pufffffffff and no brakes :mellow: thank you almighty handbrake!!!

i have been looking around the forum for info and belive its the master cylinder seals are failing to hold pressure does this sound right ?? there is no resitance when pushing the pedal down (it just goes pufff lol)and cant seem to find any leaks but did not have time to bleed the system.

also the engine pulls great with no leaks or smoke thou i am worried slightly it idles at 1200rpm on first start up the drops to around 600-900 when warm is this normal its sound abit like a subaru when idiling lol.and i think the top end might be on its wayout!

heres a link to a video of the engine running

if any one would kindly watch it and give me some feedback that would be great as am worried about it even thou it pulls great.also the engine oil level reading is up and down in the car ??

sorry for the long story fellas got abit carried away !!

cheers sean ;)

sean-G

anyone ?

Sign in to follow this