• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
flipperthebushkangaroo

How To Remove Plug From Ignition Amplifier (On Bulkhead Under Coil)

flipperthebushkangaroo

Hello, not been posting muchfor a while mainly due to a guilty feeling having virtually abandoned the 205!!!!

Am off work this week so have a couple of days to work on her (as long as i get my chores done!!!!!!

Today i compleated the alarm remove (i hope) and continued to prepair for the engine remove. A few problems

1. how on earth do you remove the ignition amplifier plug looks like it should just pull down but i am a little wary of putting too much force into it as there may be a cunning clip or lock on it?

2. is there an eeasy way of unthreading the loom or is it just a case of plod on with it?

3, Is it easier to disconnect the loom from the ECU and pull it through into the engine bay?

4. Should i use a load levelleror like this http://www.machinema...0-load-leveller or is a suitably strong rope/ lashing strop good enough.

5. When the back end is jacked up how far should the suspension drop as mine did not seem to drop as far as i would expect (possible beam seizure?) the car is now on front and rear axel stands.

6. How can i edit the title to reflect the real content of this post?

As ever i have searched first but without luck and i am sorry to ask questions which are probably laughably obvious to you all.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Roddie

Edited by flipperthebushkangaroo

pug_ham

1. The igniiotn amplifier plug clips on the same as the majority of the other engine ecu loom plugs, a spring clip sat in a recess on the plug, usually wiggling it & pulling gently on the plug will seperate them.

2. Plod on with it but you should be able to pull the loom out over the o/s wing when everything is disconnected.

3. No, this also means removing the dash to pull the ecu plug out & that isn't a fun job.

4. When I've used an engine crane to remove an engine I use a length of chain bolted to the lifting brackets on the engine but I also usually seperate the engine from the box & drop it out underneath so I don't need a load leveller.

5. If the rear suspension drops thats a better sign but even with a free beam it doesn't drop far, maybe 50mm max but this depends on the rear shocks you have fitted, generally it'll drop until either the shock is at max extenstion or the torsion bars have reached their elastic limit unweighted.

6. pm me or one of the other team managers with your new title & we can edit it for you.

g

flipperthebushkangaroo

Thanks very much Graham for your great advice, Spent a bit longeron the Pug today

1. Still failed to get the plug off the ignition amp, so i removed the whole amp.

2. Plodded on and got the looms clear of the engine (feel some rework on the looms coming on as the brown multi plug is a wreck and the conveluted tubing by the bulkhead looks like it has melted at some point although the wire looks OK)

3. Won't do that then!!!

4. Might splash out on a load leveler as it will just be me and my 13 year old removing the engine.

5. Will see what it looks like when it next moves, will sort the front end first.

6. Will leave the title for now.

Thanks again for the help.

Roddie

pug_ham

Ok, if you are re-using the ignition amp & seperated it from the mounting plate, don't forget to put some new heat sink paste between it & the alloy plate its bolted to.

g

Sign in to follow this