• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
peter

2.0 8V Turbo Mp3.2

peter

Has anyone managed to increase or remove the rev limiter?

I've been looking into it for quite some time and cant find a way of doing it, apart from reflashing a new eprom chip with winols or similar.

Doe anyone know if you can just cut a diode like on the 1.6/1.9 gti ecus that will do this?

Please dont reply if your going to say removing the limiter is a bad idea, i have my reasons and it WILL increase power in my case.

[L'e$kro]

There is no "diode trick" on the ECU, it's totally different than the old GTi ones

You need to read the content of your eprom using an eprom programmer/reader.

Some of the mp 3.2 have the eprom on a socket, some are welded on the PCB.

You can edit the file using WinOLS or TunerPro.

I think raising the rev-limiter in TunerPro can be pretty much straight forward if it knows the offset of the limiter for your ECU.

Once your bin file modified, re-write it on your eprom and done.

If you put the limiter at a value out of the maps (fuel and ignition), your engine won't work long though, as it will fuel the same as the last value in the table.

In France there is a guy named Eraser, he runs over 400bhps on this management, reliably, but it has been modified with a different map sensor and remapped properly. Look at the videos from his 205 and enjoy...

Nico

welshpug

intrigued to see why you need to rev it higher peter, these engines seem to make their power well short of the standard limiter.

peter

I was hoping there would be a an easy way! Ive seen some one use a small pcb that changes the frequency of the clock in the ecu so its 'tricked' into reving higher. But i cant work out how to do that.

Flash the Eprom it is then! Its just going to be a bit of a learning curve.

Yes im well aware of Erasers car! Its fantastic!

Welshpug, my car is very similar to Erasers ;)

Different cam, tubular manifold, throttle trupet inlet, and a td04 turbo.

peter

I didnt say it was exactly the same.

Thank you Le$ker For your USEFULL input!

Have you any idea where i can learn how to alter the tables?

Vili

I didnt say it was exactly the same.

Thank you Le$ker For your USEFULL input!

Have you any idea where i can learn how to alter the tables?

Have you changed your MAP-sensor? My friend has 306 2.0 8V turbo and currently boost is limited to circa 0,8 bar because the original MAP is limited to 1bar boost (or 2 bar absolute).

If you have changed it, what sensor did you use?

edit: not the best quote, actually quite irrelevant to the question

Edited by Vili

peter

I haven't chenged the map sensor and mine will boost at 1bar without it cutting ignition, it will boost more but after about 3 or 4 seconds the ecu kills the ignition.

Eraser, has changed his MAP sensor, but he will have also changed alot of varables on the eprom so it will fuel correctly with the new MAP sesnor.

You could just fit a 3bar map sensor so when the MAP sensor gets 1 bar boost the output voltage would be 2/3s (3.33V) of what the 2bar map sensor would output if that would output 5V at 1bar boost (really its 2bar due to atmospheric pressure) Then you could turn the fuel pressure up, but that would ruin off boost fueling :blink: unless you used an FMU. But thats rough as!!

I dont think there is anyone on this forum thats done much with mapping the standard eprom chips :(

I only want to change the RPM limit :(

wicked

Don't mess with the fuel pressure. Your fuel pump has to make the fuel pressure + boost.

So if you've 1 bar boost and stock fuel pressure, your pump has to make 4 bars...

It will make less flow at high pressure.

I've got an Ecu with a 250kpa sensor from a Audi s2. It's remapped, but haven't been able to test it yet.

Maybe that's a less dramatic change, compared with suggested 300kpa sensor.

Once my td04 conversion is done, I can tell you if it works and if the rev limiter has been moved.

peter

How did they remap it if its not on the car?

Did you tell the 'remapper' to up the rev limit?

No matter what MAP sensor you use (obviously 0-5V for this ecu) it will still lower the Vout to the ecu 'sees' then the fuel table would have to be adjusted from there.

Ive just had an idea though, what other sensors are used on this managment that would increase fuel that are not maxed out normally. coolant temp, air temp? you could wire in a new MAP sensor 0-5V connect it to the other input to increase fuel more when on boost. You would need to intercept the original MAP sensor so id doesnt output 5V or stop it from seeing 1bar boost so the ecu doesnt cut ignition (or whatever it does when it gets over 1bar boost)

But the parameters of the coolant sensor or whatever may not be broad enough to richen the mixture suficiently.

Still no closer o upping the rpm limit. How does this management limit RPM?

wicked

I bought it as is, mapped for the 2.0t engine. Mapped for larger injectors and more boost.

The rev limiter is a value in the eprom, just like the fuel tables.

You could replace the map sensor with a slightly higher pressure one. The Ecu will see less pressure than the actual pressure and cut fuel on 1.5 bar. Compensate the fueling with larger injectors. Bit of a poor man's solution, but could work. Ignition will change as well, so I wouldn't do it myself.

I think there is no other proper solution for the rev limiter, other than remap or aftermarket Ecu.

welshpug

just do it properly, a map is only about £400 at chipwizards.

peter

What size injectors is it mapped for? would be good if it had a slightly higher rpm limit.

Yes thats what i was saying before change the map sensor then up the fuel pressure instead of using larger injectors, either way its going to be far too rich on idle. Yes its a poor mans solution, i think ill change the MAP sensor then run an fmu to up the fuel pressure only on boost

As for the limiter, we need to beg erasor to tell us how to do it :D

Vili

Don't mess with the fuel pressure. Your fuel pump has to make the fuel pressure + boost.

So if you've 1 bar boost and stock fuel pressure, your pump has to make 4 bars...

It will make less flow at high pressure.

I've got an Ecu with a 250kpa sensor from a Audi s2. It's remapped, but haven't been able to test it yet.

Maybe that's a less dramatic change, compared with suggested 300kpa sensor.

Once my td04 conversion is done, I can tell you if it works and if the rev limiter has been moved.

Is the s2 MAP-sensor direct replacement for the original? I've looked inside the ecu and the original MAP is soldered on the board.

wicked

It takes some soldering, but most MAP sensors in ECU's are just Bosch sensors.

(Don't buy blind a S2 ecu, there are also S2 ecu's with 300kPa sensors)

Note that if you take a sensor that is original mounted outside of the ECU, that the offset is not 0V. (for fault detection)

Mine was mapped for ~360cc-ish injectors (also from Audi).

But as said, I haven't tried it yet, but if it works I'll let you know...

peter

and then copy it and send it to me :D

peter

welshpug, their is no way im spending £400 on one map, i could buy a stand alone for that!!!!

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

welshpug

only if you buy an used one, and then you'd need a new loom, £300, and another map, £300.....

you need to learn that to do it properly is not cheap, and there is no point on bodging as it wont last long and will drive like a bag of nails.

Edited by welshpug

peter

You need to learn!!!

Providing the AFRs are ok there is no reason AT ALL it wouldnt last long!!!

300 for a loom, id just make one myself...

300 for a map, id be mapping it myself...

No more internet waffle please, usefull input only.

peter

i missed the last post! yes i would be very interested, i dont have a removeable eprom in my ecu though :(

Henry Yorke

ECU ending in 219 has both a removable EPROM and no immobiliser :)

post-3457-0-79357000-1359203227_thumb.jpg

Mine already had a hand written sticker on the main chip. :s

post-3457-0-27399800-1359203231_thumb.jpg

And this is the standard MAP sensor in 219

post-3457-0-31622700-1359203234_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

peter

i need one of those, i have 3 of the others :angry:

NFS

keep up with the head bashing, there needs to be a cheap method of doing this right.

• Like 1

peter

there is, but its quite complicated and cant quite work it out :(

NFS

what software do the pro's use? do they swap out the map sensor if they want to go above 1 bar? if you havnt already maybe its worth looking at what they do to help you figure it out?

i personally wouldnt have a clue. lol thats why im glad theres people like you and go against the grain.