• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ian010778

Standard Brake Spec' For 1.6

ian010778

Hey all,

Can anyone clarify for me which type of brakes will be on my standard 1989 G plate 1.6 please?

As I'm aware they could be Bendix or Girling but I don't know which - is there a definitive guide or is it a case of just having a look? If the latter - how do I tell which are which please?

I'll be looking to do the front discs and pads and the rear shoes at some point in the future so would be handy to know.

Cheers

Ian.

Anthony

Assuming you're talking about the front, 1.6's will be Bendix with vented 247mm disks.

The exception is 1.6's with ABS, which use the 1.9 Girling setup.

Most lower spec base models are also Bendix, but with unvented disks.

Of course, as with any 20+ year old car, it's worth checking with your own eyes as so many of them have been changed over the years, especially with 1.9 calipers being a common replacement for worn 1.6 items, not to mention so many having had larger brakes from 306's etc fitted (with a hub swap on 1.6's)

Anthony

As for rears, I'm pretty sure that all the 1.6's I've seen have been Girling drum setups

(excluding ABS models that have rear disks as per 1.9's)

Again, worth checking your car though, as I've seen plenty that have had base model beams (and thus drums) fitted by previous owners. If you're really lucky, someone will have fited something from a non-205, which makes working out what you need that bit more fun given that there are upteen different but often similar looking setups on 309/ZX/306/Xsara models <_<

ian010778

Thanks Anthony - that's really helpful as I can now find some pic's of what I should have and compare them to my current setup.

Ian.