• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Artemide

How To Get Mi16 To Spit Fire

Artemide

Hi,

I have a 91 Gti with a 1.9 MI16 engine and it runs fine, but not quite what it should/could be. So how could I regulate or change smth, so that the air-fuel mixture would get richer(or poorer, don´t know wich way it goes). And if there´s some other simple trickss and tips on how to improve the performance, then I´d be happy to read :).

welshpug

Make it run like a bag of spanners if you want fire :D

There are no simple tricks other than to make it run as intended.

To improve performance you need to get more air in to the engine, this in turn needs more fuel (you don't throw more fuel at it as that'll just kill it)

to do this, you change camshafts, add throttle bodies or forced induction.

Edited by welshpug

Batfink

I would get an uprated inlet camshaft and a good straight through exhaust system.

kyepan

pop and burble is easier, run it lean on overun and it will pop away happily, requires mappable management and someone to know what their doing.

McDude

Is this a 'lost in translation' thing? Does the original poster literally want it to spit fire or metaphorically spit fire?

If you just want fire out the back then get it overfuelling - seems a bit daft to me, but then I'm in my thirties.

If you want it running properly and producing more power then follow the conventional tuning route until your budget runs out.

• Like 2

calvinhorse

Plumb another injector into the exhaust and a sparkplug wired into a separate coil on a switch then turn it on and fire will go everywhere! Big glowing hot flames!

You could kill somebody or even worse be classed as a chav

But by god you'll be spittin some sick flames! Pwaaaaaaaaaaarp!!!!! Fire!!!!!

• Like 1

DamirGTI

Can damage the engine by adjusting it rich/lean for just a "cosmetic" purposes so , id avoid doing that for the sake of the engine .

If you want more lively exhaust , fit an aftermarket silencers ( straight true design silencers ) play a title bit with a silencer volume (bigger volume silencers will quiet it down , smaller volume will make it more raspy ..) .. there's all kinds on the market .

If you really won't it loud popping and banging gurgling stuff , ditch the middle silencer and fit just the rear one (as the silencer volume , the diameter of the tail pipe will make it more or less sound aggressive) .. but i'm kinda sure that this is illegal in UK !

Damir B)

Artemide

Why I named the topic metaphorically, is because half a year ago, when I still had the 8v engine on, the temp sensor was faulty and the engine was overfueled. It had more HP and even spitted flames time to time.

Point is, that the MI16, which seems to be in a good shape in every way, doesn´t make the car run as fast as I´d like. So, is there a simple way how to make the mi16 overfuel and is it safe for the pistons and etc.?

welshpug

overfuelling, as the term implies, is feeding excessive amounts of fuel to the engine to the detriment of its performance, i.e it will lose power.

I would imagine that if you had repaired your engine management system properly it would have used far less fuel and gone much quicker.

• Like 1

Artemide

overfuelling, as the term implies, is feeding excessive amounts of fuel to the engine to the detriment of its performance, i.e it will lose power.

I would imagine that if you had repaired your engine management system properly it would have used far less fuel and gone much quicker.

I´m sorry, but what was it then? Facts: used up more fuel, everything smelled after petrol, improved acceleration and flames came from exhaust.

GLPoomobile

I would suggest that if the 8v was running "better" when in an overfuelling state, then it was simply running badly wrong and far from it's best before it started overfueling!

As Welshpug has stated "overfuelling, as the term implies, is feeding excessive amounts of fuel to the engine to the detriment of its performance". The idea of "overfueling" an engine to increase performance is something that dodgy ebay sellers having been using to exploit people who don't know any better, to sell their ridiculous resistors and chips.

Making an engine run at peak performance is all about balance, just as nature intended. You need an optimum air/fuel ratio under various loads etc.

As an analogy, think of the term "over weight" in relation to clinical obesity. An over weight man may be stronger in some respects and maybe able to eat more, and fart louder, but he won't be able to sprint faster than a man who has a healthy BMI and is at peak physical fitness.

• Like 2

Daviewonder

Take one of your plugs out and refit it in the exhaust.

dcc

fu*king fit an oil burner instead of the mi16. what a stupid thread.

• Like 3

PAGOS

fit some red & yellow flashing LEDs into the back valance.. & a dummy turbo pop-off valve. Install some really big speakers in the boot and play a CD of some rubbish American b movie about driving round in circles - oops -sorry- ovals [tom crud & sly best left-alone ] or meet a girl who used to work in the circus as a fire eater and keep her in the boot, if there is still room .The Dame With The Flame .Then get a badge made : 2 0-fire : .just a thought.

harryskid

I expect he likes to light his farts as well! :lol:

PAGOS

Your what spits flames ? Have you got a dragon . [ legend ] :lol: .

• Like 1

Pugmanian Devil

What happened to the 8v engine that was spitting flames, my guess is, it broke down right...

If you want flames join the circus.

Edited by Pugmanian Devil

GLPoomobile

Has it really been 2.5 years since this one was started? I remember LOLling about this as if it were only a month ago!

Edited by GLPoomobile
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this