• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

bigearmuffs

[Body_Work] 205 Wide Arch / T16 Project

johnnyboy666

It'll be interesting to see how many rattle cans it takes to do the whole car. I'm jealous of your space to paint! I started painting my car OUTSIDE (albeit a very different method) when we had a bit of sun a few months ago, and now I'm waiting for a bit more decent weather so I can get the rest of it painted. Its half painted at the moment!

I'll warm you in advance, your hands will disintegrate with all the wet'n'dry-ing you'll be doing, so I'd suggest some decent gloves for as much of it as possible (although that makes it very difficult to feel the finish)

My hands were like that of an 80 year old fisherman by the end of 4 days work! And I only got the roof, boot, wings, sills and rear valance finished, still got the doors, bonnet, and front valance to go.

bigearmuffs

It'll be interesting to see how many rattle cans it takes to do the whole car. I'm jealous of your space to paint! I started painting my car OUTSIDE (albeit a very different method) when we had a bit of sun a few months ago, and now I'm waiting for a bit more decent weather so I can get the rest of it painted. Its half painted at the moment!

I'll warm you in advance, your hands will disintegrate with all the wet'n'dry-ing you'll be doing, so I'd suggest some decent gloves for as much of it as possible (although that makes it very difficult to feel the finish)

My hands were like that of an 80 year old fisherman by the end of 4 days work! And I only got the roof, boot, wings, sills and rear valance finished, still got the doors, bonnet, and front valance to go.

With the cans it took 5 of the primer to do roof, bonnet and the inside that you can see, I will let you know how far 4 of the base coat go.

You're not wrong about the hand condition, this is the biggest blister I've had to date.

2nbzt02.jpg

• Like 1

johnnyboy666

oooh thats a doozie!

My skin split along some of my knuckles, I then got brake fluid on them a few days later. That hurt!

NFS

After all the work you have done why have you not invested in 2k paints? All those cans can't have been cheap? Oh and I'm not sure on t-cut but you will need a good cutting compound for polishing. And may even need a machine polisher aswell. Good luck mate some people have done well with rattle cans. I personnaly can't

bigearmuffs

Grill in primer.

n38dg1.jpg

Grill in base coat.

2s6lvcz.jpg

Bonnet ready to go.

33bjrjq.jpg

Edited by bigearmuffs

bigearmuffs

Base coat still not dry hence the lines.

2vru9f7.jpg

Finished in two coats of lacquer.

14uw3mp.jpg

Close up.

2iaafyx.jpg

Juttie205

looks like your doing a good job but that colour is not for me too bright I allways felt that colour is ok on bikes due to the small area.

bigearmuffs

Two coats of lacquer done, will leave to harden overnight and get the 2000 on it tomorrow and then t-cut. Will post pics with results.

5bsl0x.jpg

bigearmuffs

Decided to clean the dashboard before I do the A pillars and put the windscreen back in

281hr1u.jpg

After a good clean

e1ag7b.jpg

Reassembled grill

x4grux.jpg

After 20mins spraying spent 4 hrs cleaning the garage (everything was covered in a green dust), decided to set up a spraying area to keep future mess confined

ms11dw.jpg

28713qg.jpg

Back on it tomorrow, working on the A pillars & roof

Gavin Waddell

You should wait a bit longer before t cutting, lacquer needs time to go off

bigearmuffs

Did the bonnet with 2000 and t-cut, not bad for a garage and aerosol attempt, masked out for roof and got in base coat.

154hc95.jpg

300673s.jpg

zuse53.jpg

2ibmf7o.jpg

bigearmuffs

2 coats of lacquer on the roof, will leave till tomorrow to finish with paper and t-cut.

28bwk93.jpg

The sides of the roof have not been lacquered because I will do these when I do the rear quarters.

14cqglf.jpg

zojc0j.jpg

2d9y77q.jpg

jonXS

It looking good mate.

different but good

keep up the good work

NFS

Looking good. You hands must be killing using those cans lol

pugdamo

Looking good,looks a nice paint finish.My only critisism is on your grill you need to paint the bits on the left and right hand sides between the 3 bars black again,it really bugs me when you see a resprayed grill that has those bits not painted,but i do have OCD.

Keep the updates coming

bigearmuffs

Quick pic of the car from the front at present.

fjlpa9.jpg

Started dyeing the headlining black, could take a couple of goes.

23ifo1u.jpg

Started on sunroof surround as it is heavily bubbled due to corrosion, most of the surround fell off while preparing. Usual process, sanding, priming, base coat and lacquer. Will try and get the sunroof and windscreen back in tomorrow, cheers for all the comments appreciated.

2lvxz0n.jpg

mh4tqb.jpg

2co22qg.jpg

28aqib5.jpg

2823ot0.jpg

mtnosk.jpg

You can see the reflection of the lights, not a huge scratch/mark.

e5ntlg.jpg

Edited by bigearmuffs

bigearmuffs

So far I have used 4 x 440ml cans of base coat to do - grill, bonnet, roof, A pillars inside and out and, bottom of the windscreen surround (used the remaining bits inside of the car). They have gone further than I thought as this is quiet allot of surface area.

bigearmuffs

Looking good,looks a nice paint finish.My only critisism is on your grill you need to paint the bits on the left and right hand sides between the 3 bars black again,it really bugs me when you see a resprayed grill that has those bits not painted,but i do have OCD.

Keep the updates coming

I spotted these when doing it as they were originally black when the car was blue, I will do them as it does not look 100%, cheers.

• Like 1

bigearmuffs

After all the work you have done why have you not invested in 2k paints? All those cans can't have been cheap? Oh and I'm not sure on t-cut but you will need a good cutting compound for polishing. And may even need a machine polisher aswell. Good luck mate some people have done well with rattle cans. I personnaly can't

I do not have a compressor any more and cannot really afford to splash out on one with the to-do list on the 205, As this is just an as and when hobby I am quiet happy to chip away progress with cans, also I don't think 2 pack is a diy job as you really need the full kit to avoid being poisoned (unless things have moved on and I am out of date), cheers for the interest.

bigearmuffs

Refitted the black plastic between the windscreen and bonnet (don't know what that's called), refitted washer jets.

2qtz77s.jpg

Fine sanded and t-cutted the a-pillars and front half of roof, refitted sunroof. Also painted the plastic bits on the glass part of the sunroof to match the surround.

fd8y2o.jpg

Managed to break the windscreen because when it was 95% in (there was only 4 inches of the rubber not fitted at the top) the string snapped. Rather than take the screen out to refit I decided to try and do the last 4 inches with spoons in the opposite way you'd do to take it out. The pressure of the spoon between the metal and the screen obviously (in hind sight) snapped the screen. Disappointed.

Edited by bigearmuffs

bigearmuffs

Keep the updates coming

Done :D

2ep3fcp.jpg

And the other side as well, before you ask :D

• Like 1

Juttie205

Seems strange you are putting the car back together before you have finished painting it would it not be better to spray complete car then reassemble?

• Like 1

bigearmuffs

Seems strange you are putting the car back together before you have finished painting it would it not be better to spray complete car then reassemble?

Hi, as I am only using spray cans I can only do a panel at a time, also although it may look like I have enough space there is never enough so any parts I can get back on will not get lost or in the way. It also keeps me motivated as I can look at the finished bits when it starts to feel like I am not getting anywhere. Cheers for the interest,

Robbiedundy

Very impressive work, can't wait to see what it's like all back together! Not keen on the spoiler, I reckon a gutmann one would be cool. Also if you're going for the green/black combo I reckon some gloss black banded steel wheels would be sweet. :)

barry d

Love the colour mate.i think black banded steel wheels would look class .