• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Brown Plug Query

chipstick

I have a ph1.5 but want to fit a DTA modified loom removed from a late ph2.

I cut as much out of the 'donor' car as I could, including the fusebox, bit of dash loom and the loom that runs through the bulkhead down the inner wing.

I have compared the wiring to mine and have a couple of queries.

When looking at my existing ph1.5 205 GTi6 loom, it connects to the 2 brown plugs which were under the steering wheel next to the 1.9 ECU.

Looking at this DTA loom, it connets to the 2 brown plugs which live near the glove box. I have always wondered what these brown plugs are. I thought they were perhaps a linking loom, but the wires are different to my plug and play loom under the steering wheel area.

Here is a pic to explain what I am getting at:

9002b6dc.jpg

On the right, my 205-GTi6 plug and play engine loom. On the left, my original plugs which I always wondered what they were (these particular plugs are what is used in the DTA loom, hence my question)

Anyway. Next pic. The brown plugs in question which the DTA loom is linked to.

0ced26f7.jpg

The lower plugs are from the in car harness cut out of the ph2. The upper ones are mine - untouched.

Now, initially there isn't a great deal of difference so I'm hoping there isn't a great deal of work going to be needed to fathom what's what.

Both 1.5 and ph2 large 9 pin brown plugs match.

My smaller plug is a 7 pin. The ph2 plug is white and 8 pin (no idea why it's white?!). Appears to be mostly the same, yet the 8th pin (extra one) has 2 yellow wires. 75 and 75a if I remember correctly. Anyone know what they are and if it's going to be a problem?

I also notice on the ph2 fusebox, there is a large plug at the top back missing. My ph.5 has a large white plug in there. It's not the white one appearing above either which would have been a nice coincidence.

023ca355.jpg

Do ph2's not have this for any reason or is it likely to be missing because it's been used in wiring elsewhere?

Any tips or advice appreciated.

Slo

the large white one missing from the back is the rear lights fuel pump/guage handbrake light loom. looks like you have a phase 1 loom there to me. whats a DTA when its at home mate?

Edited by Slo

chipstick

Odd why that's missing then.

DTA is the ECU

Slo

Ok still none the wiser on the DTA ECU thing but heres a few pics of my phase 2 wiring i took before i removed it from the car it came from, although its a cabriolet the wiring should be identical. If it helps im about to change my dash again so can do a full set of wiring photos once i have removed it and i also have a complete phase 1 wiring loom thats off the car i can take shots off if you like

IMG_20120317_123753.jpg

IMG_20120317_123745.jpg

IMG_20120317_123739.jpg

IMG_20120317_123653.jpg

chipstick

That will actually be very helpful :)

I can compare that to this ph2 loom I have to see how much of it has been modified and go from there.

welshpug

white plug is from a 309 I think, does it actually have 8 wires?

Slo

ok dash swapped took a better one of the back plug that you should have matey...

IMG_20120625_133226.jpg

chipstick

white plug is from a 309 I think, does it actually have 8 wires?

The car side (fixed harness) has 8. The 8th is a join of 75&75A. This goes to the socket which has nothing in part 8. So, would I be correct in thinking as these effectively meet nothing, I can ignore them as my car doesn't have wire 75 or 75A in the harness?

I have written out what numbers to which pins I have in my ph1.5, and which ones the ph2 loom has. I have got my head round it a bit more, but there are a few wires which I need to account for presumably. I will type it out over lunch.

My main concern is why this ph2 car had an 8 plug connector - because it's a late '93 and had something extra?

And also, why this is wired to these 2 plugs on the left hand side, when I see people use the drivers side brown plugs with some thicker wires in (shown in first post - first picture, right hand side)

ok dash swapped took a better one of the back plug that you should have matey...

Thanks Slo. Mine has this, so I will hope for the best that it isn't related to any issues I may have.

chipstick

Just for reference, it suddenly dawned on me a while back why that large plug at the back of the donor fuse board was missing.

It was the loom for the rear lights etc - I had removed that plug and the full harness from the car previously incase I needed it to change my lights over to ph2 units :lol: So it wasn't missing exactly, I had stolen it.