• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nixonmi16

Mi16 Fault Code 54

nixonmi16

HI hope someone can help? i have a 1.9 mi16 with motronic 1.3 none cat.when engine is running at 4000rpm the check engine lights comes on then when the revs are higher or lower it goes out the car seems to run ok with no missfire or rev counter flicker . i have read the code as 54 ecu fault. so to fix this i have replaced

1.ecu

2.cranksensor

3.ignition module

4.coolant temp sen

5.plugleads to geunine bosch

6.power relays

7.dizzy cap and rotor arm

8.plugs

9.brand new genuine air flow meter

10.knock sensor

11.icv

12.throttle sensor

13.injectors

i have also checked all power feeds and earths all ok

Simes

Mine used to do somthing similar when it was on m1.3. On the Motorway after running at 5.5krpm for a while the cat light used to come on. Slow down to 4 and it would go out.

As I had no cat it didn't worry me but Miles recalled a story with his 405mi16 (back in the day) did a similar thing. The Peugeot garage could never find the fault.

I think Cybernck also had a similar issue.

Simes

I forgot to add that it made no difference to the running.

dado8

I have exactly the same problem; fault code 54 at 4000 rpm..

Until now I replaced:

1.ecu
2.cranksensor
3.ignition module
4.coolant temp sen
5.ignition coils

6.power relay
7.camshaft sensor
8.plugs
9.air flow meter
10.knock sensor
11.icv
12.throttle position sensor
13.injectors

14 Battery

15. Thermostat

ACAV works fine.

I have no ideas what to check... :-(

I would appreciate any help regarding this...

jackherer

Wiring loom, condition of terminals (loose, corroded etc), grounds, main power feeds.

Also are the alternator and battery both good? What voltage is the alternator putting out at 4000rpm when the fault happens? Voltage regulators can fail so the voltage could be too high as well as too low.

dado8

Battery is not so good, but we put another (new) for test - fault still appears.

Alternator is excellent (repaired/renewed).

The voltage is between 13,2 and 13,6 v (measured via diagnostic software/tool, so this voltage is on ECU. Voltage on battery - 13,6-13,9v).

There is no significant voltage variations at 4000 rpm :-(.

Terminals checked - great.

All sensors checked again although they are new. Ok

Grounds checked and cleaned - they are ok, as well...

Main power feeds and wiring loom - to be checked when I find good electrician.. I checked wiring that is easy to see - that part is ok... The part in front of the engine is not checked (hard to access)

Fuel Pump (15PIN) relay and other relays in engine bay- checked. I put new Fuel pump relay but fault still appears

The car runs perfect even with Engine Control (MIL) light on...

This is unbelievable...

You think the voltage can cause fault code 54?

jackherer

I'm not definitely saying that too high/too low voltage can cause code 54 but you've checked/changed pretty much everything else so I was just listing all the other more obscure possibilities that remain.

What is the general condition of the wires in the engine wiring loom? They are usually quite corroded these days so I'd be inclined to distrust it.

dado8

generally, all wires are ok.... I will check it again.... ECU 54 means there is problem with power supply to ECU. Is there any overview of all 55 ECU multi-plug PINs (I know PIN no18 is continuous power supply from battery to ECU)? I will test it...

Edited by dado8

dado8

thanks, but it seems I do not have permission to see that :-(

dado8

just an update: I will go to electrician and hope he will discover what is happening...

dado8

Finally! My problem with ECU fault code 54 is resolved! The problem was in wire that goes from alternator to battery. The wire was corroded.. When the engine is hot it affect the wire and the voltage varies and this triggered fault 54. So, if anybody has same issue: check the main wire from alternator to battery- The electrician guy said that they have same issue last year when alternator on 306 s16 failed.....

• Like 1

dado8

Guys, does anybody know how should wires for knock sensor be routed? Female side of plug connector (connector which connects knock sensor wire to engine wiring loom, on engine wiring loom side) has 3 PINs and 3 wires: red, green and white. If I remember correctly, the white one goes into PIN 3 mark.

What is with green and red, how should they be routed?

Engine is xu10j4z, RFY with Bosch Motronic MP 3.2 system.

The plug wiring was not good so I decide to change it,but I am not sure 100% how wires should be linked..

Thanks

petert

I'll look tomorrow for you. Too hot now.

Edited by petert

dado8

thanks petert!

dado8

Petert, do you have any info?

petert

Just noticed you're after XU10J4. I only have XU9J4Z looms. If it helps, red and green are the signal wires in this case. This is the best XU10J4 diagram I have.

post-2864-0-96197300-1422595476_thumb.jpg

Dglopez

Thank God! Coudn t fins any were... Now swap is going to start taking progress..

Sign in to follow this