• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DrSarty

[engine_work] I Forgot How Much I Missed It!

DrSarty

Hello all. This is being written even before I've driven my 205 again. The car in question is the white, Colin Satchell modified 205 formerly known as 'Evo II'; there is a topic in the Projects section.

In this new topic you will find:

• the rebirth of this car (basically building and putting a new engine in it)
  • pictures of the engine with my home-made throttle body set-up
  • a solution/alternative for a hard-to-find Mi16 part
  • hopefully a happy result from mapping at Emerald and another chance to for me to use this car regularly

Welcome to 'Sarty Evo Redux'.

The former 2.2 (2187cc) thumper of an engine survived 3 years, but eventually - probably partly through my own neglect - had an issue with the piston rings on cyl 1. It got broken up and sent to various places, including some parts like the £700 forged pistons all going to the scrap metal merchant!

Financial and life circumstances interfered with putting the car back on the road (that used to look like this below), meaning it has languished in a Devon workshop, pining for a new power plant.

04062010659medium.jpg

p1010643medium.jpg

I've had (and still have), quite a few XU9J4 (Mi16 1.9 alloy block) engines as 'kits' ready to build up or finish off, and recently I've had a chance to use a professional and freshly rebuilt Mi lump sitting on an engine stand which just needed a head, gearbox, inlet and exahust.

Later today I'll post some pictures of how it's taken shape over the last few days, and nights. And this is the reason behind the topic title, as I went into the garage at 8pm on Monday night, and came out again at 3am the following morning!

It's this obsession and absorption in making engines and working on cars and stuff that I missed, with the looming promise of a very rapid and rewarding car at the end of it.

Here's to 205s and tinkering with mechanical things. Whoop!

Edited by DrSarty
  • Like 2

petert

Glad to hear you're in the groove again.

maturin23

Welcome back matey.

I'm missing mine and it's only been with JackHerer for a week (sorting out some rust issues and other cosmetics (new bumpers/lights) including some pretty bad rot above the driver's door).

I take it this is the shell with Sandy's reworked rear suspension - are you planning on revising the spring rates and/or damping? Although it was only a brief blast I seem to recall it felt a little floaty over that stretch of undulating country lane.

marksorrento205

Nice to see you have the bug again Rich :)

brumster

Lord help us, he's back ;)

Shouldn't this be a project thread?!

Welcome back chap...

DrSarty

Thanks for the welcoming (back) comments.

Ian - Yes, re your suspension query; it never was actually set up. It'll be getting corner weighted and stuff, and I've already discussed this with JackHerer, who incidentally provided the Mi16 gearbox going in the car.

Pics showing some engine build up once the head was on:

08052012180medium.jpg

08052012181medium.jpg

08052012183medium.jpg

08052012184medium.jpg

09052012188medium.jpg

09052012189medium.jpg

09052012190medium.jpg

09052012194medium.jpg

More detail on the ITBs:

08052012182medium.jpg

I am happy to make another set for another forum member, already fitted with cleaned and tested Mi or GTI6 injectors for £425.

I've fitted a 6bar oil pump spring, and you can perhaps see the previously fitted (and improvised) pump baffle. It already has the chain guard. The extended pick up for the pump and windage tray will be fitted later, before I do any track days/hill climbs. It's an S16 (XU10J4) steel sump I believe.

Other details:

VAG alternator tensioner (I like them)

Alloy rear water housing 3-outlet

GTI6 injectors

Trumpets being finalised

Custom ITG JC50 air filter on its way

Oil breather catch tank bracket-mounted to side of head

Still some oil breather pipe simplification to follow

6mm heat insulating spacer between head and inlet runners

Stage II PeterT inlet cam (ground from inlet cam)

Stage I PeterT inlet cam used as exhaust (ground from exhaust cam) - these 2 cam choices mean OE 4 and 2 pulleys can be used

Lightweight Miles alloy crank pulley

PSA twin coil wasted spark coil pack

Perhaps this should or will be another project topic, but that's a mod choice to move it I think, as you can't start new topics in that forum.

Edited by DrSarty
  • Like 1

Chris_Mi

Welcome back Rich!

I will be watching this thread with interest!

allye

Perhaps this should or will be another project topic, but that's a mod choice to move it I think, as you can't start new topics in that forum.

You can in project works starters :P

I look forward to having the much talk'd about Mr.Sarty about as you were before my time :lol: Look forward to the progress.

Mad Scientist

Good to have you back Rich. You're original engine build was my inspiration. In fact, that probably means you've cost me a fortune!

Will be watching this one.

SAW

Cracking looking 205 you got there.

S@m

Looking real good! Just one question, which xu engine did the breathers come from (one of the xu7's i think)? I'm tempted to copy that set up.

Sam

M@tt

he's back with his 40% warn, the forums bad boy! :D

DrSarty

which xu engine did the breathers come from (one of the xu7's i think)? I'm tempted to copy that set up.

Yep and go for it. It seems to work really well, as it's tidy and simple.

The S16/iron block I had previously had an outlet needing plumbing in to the right of the block needing separate hoses; but the alloy block is far simpler when you use the Y-piece as I have going into the filler stack. This is why currently my filler stack has 2 unused outlets which will be either joined by a shorted U bend or filled with chem metal.

It seems a tidy solution.

Also, it is practically impossible to get replacement Mi16 spark plug hole oil seals as per the below picture (item 3). I've found that bath plugs work perfectly with a 30mm hole put through them. At less than a pound each that's a workable solution too.

zf02c20a.gif

Edited by DrSarty

damien

hi ya rich, sarah asks "how is nico?" (sp?)

welshpug

What were the throttle bodies originally found on?

Nice to see you back fiddling Rich :)

p.s the seal is part 8 on this picture -

5F02A60A.gif

Edited by welshpug

DrSarty

Thanks Meirion; you're right about the seal. The seal I showed is still available, and there are 3 for the central cam cover bolt holes. Your diagram shows the seal I mean of which there are 4.

The ITBs come in 3's on a Triumph motorbike. Well made, simple to turn into a bank of 4 as already suitably spaced, with decent throttle quadrant, TPSensor, ready for car-sized fuel injectors. 43mm internal bore, round to lozenge.

Nico is fine Damien. 6.5 now; decent at football but confused about which team he supports.

Edited by DrSarty

GLPoomobile

Have you PM'd Steve@Cornwall yet about getting the infamous wheels back? :P

• Like 2

SurGie

he's back with his 40% warn, the forums bad boy! :D

Yep, looks like my rein on that one is now over :D

Welcome back DrSarty, forums changed a fair bit recently :)

I thought you had sold evo, did it not happen or did you buy her back ?

DrSarty

Only sold the engine, ECU, gearbox (with TranX diff) and exhaust.

Car's been dried stored, and all loom and ancilliaries are there waiting for the lump to be dropped in.

Today went to breaker's (Newbridge/Nr Edinburgh) today to find, remove (!!!) and buy 2 x 106/Saxo coilpacks. Took GLPoomobile with me; it was his first ever trip to a breaker's yard! Those torx bolts are small and a barsteward to undo without rounding them. Succeeded, and now have 1 plus a spare. ^_^

K6 ECU delivered today, and ITG JC50 air filter with backplate are enroute, customised with the outer foam rotated so the ITG logo reads the right way up. :ph34r:

harryskid

Great stuff !

miamichris

Good to see you back Sarty, and looking forward to seeing this come together!

Mad Scientist

My itg logo is upside down! Fail!

DrSarty

Spoke with Anthony today, who'll hopefully be confirming later that the below and attached are correct. This is regarding wiring for the Saxo/106 coilpack.

{Viewing from front of car}

ENGINE (Cyls)

(4) (3) (2) (1) >>> Flywheel

COILPACK (HT lead posts)

*Multi connector pin order 4-3-2-1*

(4) (1)

(3) (2)

*Pins for coilpack used as follows:

1 = Trigger from ECU cyls 1+4

2 = Trigger from ECU cyls 2+3

3 = 12v power from double-relay/fuse/shunt box (ideally should be fused)

4 = Suppressed ground via 'condensor' which bolts to earth via condensor tab

Hope this is correct. Had to trawl some Saxo forums to assemble the information, which wasn't a pleasant experience (nuff said mate innit)!

Saxo and 106 Haynes 134.pdf

Edited by DrSarty

welshpug

looks good, same as my Motronic MP3.1 arrangement :)

GLPoomobile

Had to trawl some Saxo forums to assemble the information, which wasn't a pleasant experience (nuff said mate innit)!

Oh dear God! :o Have you recovered yet? I'm surprised you didn't call me after, to vent off about how society is completely f***ed after only spending a few minutes within those circles! Or maybe you have a little affinity with them (phat tunez pumped at volume through far too much audio equipment) :P