• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gavbrum

Broken Water Outlet.

gavbrum

On my way to work today there was a a lot of road works. A lot of stopping and starting for a good 20mins when suddenly loads of steam starts bellowing out from under the bonnet. The plastic water outlet had given way and broke off leaving the water hose flapping about spewing coolant everywhere. Car looked like an old dog that had just pissed itself. I was pretty furious and the big queue of people behind me were quite unsympathetic. Let it cool down and managed to get it home as I was only half a mile away.

Either the car has overheated due to the radiator fan not coming on (I didn't hear it come on but I had my music up loud) and caused the overheating resulting in the failure, or this is just a failure point and it was just bad timing. I've ordered a new water outlet and a new thermostat and thermostat gasket and they should arrive on Tuesday. I'll fit it all and run it to see if the radiator comes on and if thats the problem.

Don't suppose anyone has heard of this happening or had the water outlet suddenly fail.

Water hoses are all brand new bakerbm and water and coolant has been changed in the last month.

Cheers,

Gav

Edited by gavbrum

rallysteve

I take it you mean the water outlet on the thermostat housing? If so I believe these are quite prone to cracking and are best replaced with the alloy versions.

Steve

gavbrum

Thats correct Steve.

It's an updated part from Peugeot i've ordered so it my well be an alloy one, if not I can always replace it later.

Probably just bad timing, although I was close to my house so it may well be good timing.

Anthony

Ironically, the earlier cars used alloy, the later ones plastic....

As above though, it can and does happen for the plastic thermostat outlet (and the rear coolant block on occasion) to break without warning

gavbrum

Hopefully that's the case. I'll check everything over when it's back together.

Cheers for the info guys.

gavbrum

Ordered the thermostat housing after looking on service box. Went for part number 133688.

http://s1061.photobucket.com/albums/t476/gavbrum/?action=view&current=Screenshot2012-05-01at184219.png

This arrived

http://s1061.photobucket.com/albums/t476/gavbrum/?action=view&current=7efdf188.jpg

Its a bit different.

What now? :(

Cheers,

Gav

Miles

Thats right and what comes supplied now, You can tell the parts guy has no idea as there would be another number by it saying it's been modded and the blanking plug needed, mind I'd go somewhere else for that as they are silly money

S@m

Miles is right, i work on parts, and it does clearly say that if you order 133688 then you also will need 135508 and 698137. Its like they've never used servicebox before - most of these parts monkeys!

135508 is the plug and 698137 will be a jubilee clip. THe plug is £7.37+vat from peugeot so i'd try and find something else for the job if i was you.

Sam

Carbs4me

Ive got one of those alloy pipes if your intrested, i will picture it to double check if you like.

gavbrum

Ive got one of those alloy pipes if your intrested, i will picture it to double check if you like.

Yeah id be interested in an alloy one.

Bang some pics up.

Carbs4me

Really bad quality picture... as i just cut it and expanded the image from another picture i had, but can you confirm this is the part. I will check condition of the part too.

sdfgsd10.jpg

Its roughly £2.50 to post so if we say £7.50 for it? sounds fair?

gavbrum

perfect mate. Paypal okay?

PM me your details.

Cheers,

Gav

Carbs4me

PM sent

gavbrum

Is there a gasket for the thermostat housing?

S@m

Nope, just use sealer.

Sam

Sign in to follow this