• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

106 Gti Tu Into 205 Tu Wiring

johnnyboy666

does any body have any photos/diagrams of how to wire up a 106 gti engine into an xs? I've been delaying the engine swap until I moved house, now thats fallen through and my 1.4 engine is using water.

So basically I need to get this done asap.

getting the engine in and plumbed in shouldnt be too difficult its just the wiring that is very daunting!

Im not very good with electrics and i've never had a car that is injection, so thats new to me too!

typical that my MOT runs out next week as well.

Im very much trying to avoid this turning into a 300year project that never gets finished, so I dont want to get stuck in the middle with no transport!

any help much appreciated!

welshpug

you only need a very small number of wires to make it run.

Ignition Switched live to the fuel pump relay, permanent live to FP relay, Starter motor switched live, and the fuel pump feed from the relay.

it'll run with that, the rest is gauges and warning lights.

Get the loom and probe it with a multimeter and you'll soon work it out :)

dont forget you'll need the tank+pipes from a fuel injected car.

johnnyboy666

phew thats quite a releif! I thought it would be much more stressful than that! that at least means it wont need to be off the road for weeks, and I can work out the other bits and bobs as I get chance.

yeah I know about the tank and pipes, hopefuly should have them shortly :)

miamichris

The electrics really aren't that hard on this conversion, I even managed to do it :lol: PM me if you need any help, I have pin outs for the ecu and wiring diagrams somewhere.

johnnyboy666

cheers, expect a pm in the coming few weeks then :) or if you have the details to hand might be handy to post them on this thread in case anybody else needs them?

pugmarshall

I'm interested as I hope to be doing this conversion soon

sickomotorsport

i am hoping to do this also, what do they go like with this engine fitted?

johnnyboy666

I'm hoping they go quite well, although the engine is a LOT heavier, so hopefully it wont affect the handling too much. Mind you my 1.4 has had a slipping clutch for months so I havent been able to give it a proper hoon for a while anyway, so it should be a breath of fresh air when the new engine is in.

an extra 35(?) bhp cant be a bad thing :)

welshpug

yeah they are quite heavy lumps, though thankfully respond to mild bolt on mods very well, if they didn't you'd be better off with an XU5, but then you might as well drop an XU9/10J4/RS in :lol:

sickomotorsport

yeah they are quite heavy lumps, though thankfully respond to mild bolt on mods very well, if they didn't you'd be better off with an XU5, but then you might as well drop an XU9/10J4/RS in :lol:

would 106gti engine be much heavier than a 1.1injection engine?

welshpug

oh yes! specifically im unsure, but one is a single cam alloy engine, tother a twin cam iron bottom end

sickomotorsport

oh yes! specifically im unsure, but one is a single cam alloy engine, tother a twin cam iron bottom end

it would still be lighter than gti 6 engine though?

eLi_205

Oh, yes, it would be lighter! 2.0

GTI6 without garbox weighs 145KG (according to the weights thread)

while the 106's weighs 126KG (according to someone at 106owners forum)

tom-stratford

can anyone please help me about this convertion ive been looking everywhere but cant find out what box, shafts cross shaft and mounts are needed. ive got a 1.6 gti. ive been told that best box to use is a picasso 1.6 8v box dose anyone no what is needed? or someone that i can ask :)

tom-stratford

taaaa, lots of info to look thro :)

BC Devile

im half way through this conversion too, engine and gearbox are in, wiring is one of the next things on the list. any questions you have on the swap pm me ill try help out.