• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bondyshambles

Phase 1.5 Or Phase 2 ?

bondyshambles

Hi People

I have recently purchased a 205 1.9 GTI. She is black on a H plate 1990. The dashboard is grey, the half leather is black with the older style phase 1 rear lights but with clear front indicators. It's a none cat, none sunroof, none power steering model. Just wandering is it a phase 1.5 or has someone changed bits on it to make it a mishmash of a phase 2 ? Also, (this might be a stupid question) is it supposed to have central locking ?. As my central locking does not work. It has the same key for the front and ignition but a different key for the boot and a different key for the petrol cap. The passenger side door has not even got a key to fit it !!! I think i can get a complete lock set from somewhere but i have read about actuators for central locking and solenoids etc. What would be the best plan of action to sort it all out ?

P.S i am a car lover and not a car mechanic. :D

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

If it helps my Rallye's a 93 with no cat and I'm 99% sure it's a phase 1.5

bondyshambles

If it helps my Rallye's a 93 with no cat and I'm 99% sure it's a phase 1.5

Its strange (or maybe i am dumb). I can't seem to find any link that just states the difference between the phases. Thanks for your help.

Baz

It's a late registered Ph1.5 that no doubt has had the clear front indicators added. The 1.5 1.9's on the change-over (hence '1.5') had the black ph2 leathers.

A '93 rallye is definitely a Ph2.

The c/locking should work, my guess is the driver's door actuator or the control unit behind/under the dash. You can just swap the locks to a new or good used set on one key fairly easily.

Edited by Baz

MiniGibbo

How come a ph2 ciggy lighter won't fit the hole in my ashtray then..?

The interior dial loom differed as well..?

Btw, I'm not trying to argue you're wrong as im probably wrong, I just also don't understand the phases lol.

Edited by MiniGibbo

bondyshambles

It's a late registered Ph1.5 that no doubt has had the clear front indicators added. The 1.5 1.9's on the change-over (hence '1.5') had the black ph2 leathers.

A '93 rallye is definitely a Ph2.

The c/locking should work, my guess is the driver's door actuator or the control unit behind/under the dash. You can just swap the locks to a new or good used set on one key fairly easily.

At least i know what she is now....also its nice to know that it has central locking. Do you think that by doing the actuator or the control unit will also sort out the passenger side, when it clearly has a different lock ?

Baz

Yep should be fine as the lock is separate to the CL system. If it's the control unit or driver's actuator at fault then almost certainly it will make the rest work if all in good condition as they 'control' the rest.

Edit; in fact i may well be confusing myself/suffering memory failure, as Ph1.5's don't have the control unit like Ph2's iirc, so i'd go with the door actuator.

How come a ph2 ciggy lighter won't fit the hole in my ashtray then..?

The interior dial loom differed as well..?

Btw, I'm not trying to argue you're wrong as im probably wrong, I just also don't understand the phases lol.

They are french! And like all cars there seems to always be varying/odd differences every now and gain, but i'd guess because there's differing models of both, so you need to have the matching lighter for the socket perhaps. The dial loom differed to what?

By all means it could have been messed about with in the past too of course!

Edited by Baz

Anthony

As said above, yours is a late Phase 1.5 - sometimes (but not generally) refered to as a Phase 1.75

They differ from most Phase 1.5's in that they have the Phase 2 style black/red seats, they have BE3 gearboxes, and they have the later style engine wiring and inlet mounted coil. As pointed out, it should still have amber front indicators, but it's common for these to have been replaced with the clear Phase 2 type.

The central locking is as per Phase 1/1.5's and thus doesn't have the remote fob or control unit under the dash. The central locking will only work from the drivers door, and if it doesn't work, it's likely the locking motor/actuator in the drivers door that's at fault - note that a Phase 2 one won't work, and needs to be the earlier grey Phase 1/1.5 type. Sometimes the door loom plays up, and obviously double check the fuse etc.

welshpug

there will still be a relay of some sort on the CL system :)

Anthony

There isn't on the early cars - it's a very simple/crude system that's basically a power feed from the fusebox, an earth, and the three locking motors, the drivers side one controlling the system. There is no relay or control box.

I retrofitting one this last year to my F-reg 205 1.6 GTi that didn't have CL from the factory.

IMG_3829.sized.jpg

That's the complete loom (minus the section to the boot) and as you can see, there's no relay or control box there - drivers door is nearest the camera, you can see the yellow earth block that plugs in next to the steering column, the connection to the fusebox and the rear loom section in the top left, and then the passenger door section in the top right.

Edited by Anthony

bondyshambles

There isn't on the early cars - it's a very simple/crude system that's basically a power feed from the fusebox, an earth, and the three locking motors, the drivers side one controlling the system. There is no relay or control box.

I retrofitting one this last year to my F-reg 205 1.6 GTi that didn't have CL from the factory.

IMG_3829.sized.jpg

That's the complete loom (minus the section to the boot) and as you can see, there's no relay or control box there - drivers door is nearest the camera, you can see the yellow earth block that plugs in next to the steering column, the connection to the fusebox and the rear loom section in the top left, and then the passenger door section in the top right.

Wow...what a forum...thanks for all of your help people. I will start with the actuator and see where i go from there.

jcsh

Wow...what a forum...thanks for all of your help people. I will start with the actuator and see where i go from there.

Hi! I've just got a prob with my 88 CTi. When I bought it a year ago the LHS central locker wasn't working - I managed to find a 2nd hand one (205's are quite rare here in NZ) then a week ago the c/l has stopped working altogether. I checked the fuse in the glove box, OK. I took the RHS door panel off and took out the actuator, I can't figure out if its working or not though.... If I push it down it will move sort of manually and then kind of jump a little at the end of its throw - not a really positive electrical throw if you know what I mean ... Is it Knackered and if it is what models of car would I be able to get a replacement from?

Cheers

James

ps - the dash is horrible cracked and creaky - if I found a later model with the circular heater controls would that dash fit into mine or is it a mission..?

Slo

Dont know and cant help about the central locking but changing a mark1 to mark2 dash is a mission, you have to change the entire wiring loom as most of its all routed different and has different plugs almost everywhere

lemmingzappa

note that a Phase 2 one won't work, and needs to be the earlier grey Phase 1/1.5 type.

I've had trouble sourcing a set of this earlier type. Any that pop up seem to look the same as the ones I had in my Ph2.