• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
damo

[engine_work] Cti6 Cti To 16V Power

damo

Hi, for a number of months I've been working on getting a 92k GTI6 engine in my CTI.

First of all I#d like to thank Dan, Stefan, Spiky, Miles and all the other who have help answer my stupid questions over the past months :)

Ill include a parts list as a lot of time was spent sourcing parts or asking others. appologiees if its already been covered in advanced.

So history -

One of Steve@Cornwalls CTI that I picked up in south Cornwall on a one way train ride back in 2007. it had a 1.9 engine but I fitted a 1.6 fly wheel and gearbox over the years.

post-10898-0-59485300-1334529906_thumb.jpg

The GTI6 engine was purchased form a forum member and sat on a pallett for 18 months!! it was from a 1998 GTI6 and had done 92k. I also had a s16 engine as almost went that route but a local Taunton chap started a conversion so I helped him out and it got me in the mood to start mine!!

Parts / Shopping list (Ill keep editing this when I find them)

XU10J4RS engine

engine loom (converted by Spiky or Miles?)

Manifold reangled

GTI6 Lamba and ideally a front pipe before the cat.

Gear box BE3 (1.6 was my choice)

Baker thermostatic converter

Cambelt kit including tensioners

Mi16 clutch kit

Baker BM hose kit (optional)

306 PAS pipe work if PAS is needed

Universal throttle cable

Speedo reader on gearbox - Neat auto parts on e-bay

solid lower engine mount

Inlet gasket 0349g1

Manifold badge 156621

Exhaust gasket 0349f4

Exhaust fixing kit 179875

oil vapor hose 1192l6 and 6981h7 for the clip (on cam covers)oil filter adaptor / thread 110354

Threadlock

sump plug washers

engine paint

oil resistant gasket sealler

8mm and 10mm fuel hose

76mm silcon hose for induction filter (Mr silicon from e-bay items 170703882338 and 170731923084)

TBC

Edited by damo

damo

So a few pictures from over the months :)

Starting things

post-10898-0-89177500-1334531963_thumb.jpg

Cleaned and painted the GTI6 engine whist out

post-10898-0-48859400-1334532069_thumb.jpg

Dash in bits

post-10898-0-04661700-1334532105_thumb.jpg

damo

Engines out :)

post-10898-0-15722700-1334533367_thumb.jpg

Um........ 3 alarms are found!

post-10898-0-99761300-1334533402_thumb.jpg

GTi6 engine done, Clutch, new Cambelt, tensioners, water pump and thermostat converter etc.

post-10898-0-49615600-1334533480_thumb.jpg

Gearbox cleaned, new bushes and painted.

post-10898-0-05127000-1334533525_thumb.jpg

Edited by damo

damo

The old loom and the 3 alarms now removed!

post-10898-0-45956700-1334533664_thumb.jpg

Gearbox and everything else on the engine so its ready to install into the engine bay (finally after a two month delay)

post-10898-0-71530200-1334533727_thumb.jpg

And finally the engine is i the bay and on its engine mounts

post-10898-0-10620300-1334533797_thumb.jpg

damo

any chance in moving this back to project startes? so i can edit / update things

cybernck

There's a time-restriction for editing, it doesn't matter which forum it's in.

If you need to edit something crucial, feel free to PM me :).

damo

Few more parts used (Note Unipart do a lot of bits Pug no longer do for the gti6 engine. eg cam cover gaskets)

Bottom PAS tensioner ABT133 qepdiect.com

Top adjuster tensioner - unipart online ugcgbt8098 t38098 - belt tensioner (other tension is ugcbt6030 i believe also from unipart)

306 rallye aux belt

The above is expensive so I'd look to get electric PAS pump etc and save the £60 next time possibly.

8mm and 10mm fuel lines from unipart

DONT forget the clips :)

Speed sensor on the gearbox is 616024 so just search ebay if needed.

One thing to note with the fuel lines, is to move them before putting the engine it! I removed the clip bolted to the bulk head area and then fed then to the left of the clutch cable so they ended up pusted against the inner wing area. I also used the loom braket that was on my CTI to keep them in place.

post-10898-0-79226200-1334779244_thumb.jpg

Not the best pic but from this its moved to the right of the cable, pain for me as my engine was in!

damo

So a few more pics

Exhause clearance, good fit from Miles

post-10898-0-06249900-1334779535_thumb.jpg

My master cylinder clearance! Large abount needed triming. I dropped the engin onto some block to tweak this with it in the bay. I did think id get away with it as I paked it out with 6 washers so around 6mm.

post-10898-0-70427800-1334779587_thumb.jpg

Finally my loom is in and the baker BM hoses all plumbed it etc

post-10898-0-48156000-1334779755_thumb.jpg

post-10898-0-23643100-1334779889_thumb.jpg

damo

Time to work on my PAS pipe work. Bit of a pain but I used the high pressure from a 306 and bottle. the larger pipe from the bottle to the pump was 205 and so is the return from the rack to the bottle.

The pump feed goes under the intake manifoldand back round and over the aux belts to the bottle. I hope it can be seen in the pic ?

post-10898-0-41436500-1334780007_thumb.jpg

Bit of a loom and I covered them in case they rubbed. THe low pressure retun is fed to the side of the engine mount next to the wing and come up in the same location as the fuel pipes. All well away from the exhaust manifold!

damo

Radiator clearance ! I have to trim around 10mm of the housing and then this gave around 5 mm clearance from the intake to the Rad.

post-10898-0-80202900-1334780318_thumb.jpg

I followed a guide on here but tweaked things a little in the fact that i cut round the radiator shape so the cowling wasnt removed as much. I originally had a copper core turbo D rad. a little fad so go a nissens alloy one as it was a few mm slimmer!

So finally a picture with the bay back together ready for the lights, throttle cable etc to be put back

post-10898-0-07836500-1334780359_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Zara

nice read :) and looks like youve done a good job.... keep up the good work ;)B)

damo

OK a few final pic's now he's back together and running :)

MOT time so will be on the road in May once taxed finally.

Here is the high pressure PAS pie under the sump / gearbox. It hangs down around 5 to 10mm lower then the sump at the back so I'm a little worried about catching it!

post-10898-0-72453100-1334861956_thumb.jpg

And finally the cars back together ready for a MOT.

post-10898-0-32669800-1334861995_thumb.jpg

Few electrical issues but he fires and runs great. I'm using 5 / 40 fully synth in him. possibly a little thin so will move to 10 / 40 semi synth, cheaper to so a bonus. Anyway the engine sounds sweet and doesnt tap :) needs a few hundred miles on him now to do final tweaking.

With the electrics the only outstanding item is the central locking. I believe this is down to all those alarms being removed, the guy did worn me! so if its not an easy fix ill pop round his one weekend to sort it and get a new alarm fitted.

Time to tidy up the garage now...

Miles

You can turn the top of the power steering pump feed around, I do this on all of mine with a little heat and a big bar, makes the routing of the pipe allot neater

chipstick

Never thought i'd see it finished :lol:

Good work.

damo

Hi miles, any chance of a pic of the PAS set-up ?

Anyway, thanks to all those that hellped :) If it wasnt for the gear box going walk around for 9 weeks to get the bolt removed and the arms drilled out I would of met the southwest meet and castle combe. It still has a MOT at the moment, well till next week but there is no point in taxing it now untill next month. So tempted...............

Roll on next time as I fancy a hardtop one now for a winter run around.

chipstick

It still has a MOT at the moment, well till next week but there is no point in taxing it now untill next month. So tempted...............

I'd be tempted. Get a few miles under it's belt rather than book an MOT and find problems when you pull down the road that you then have to sort and rearrange. Ok, you will miss out on a couple weeks Tax, but would give you some 'shakedown' time.

damo

Thanks guys.

Sorted the insurance over the weekend and to my suprise its cheaper than standard!!!! Adrianflux for £163 notes on a classic policy. Pays to be old sometimes :P

damo

Well the car failed the MOT on the stupid headlight adjuster!!! popped of the ball joint!

easy fix so finally got a MOT but it cost me £12.99 in labour.

Also the central lockings now working after some time playing tonight. So final tidy up inside around the dash over the weekend ready for May.

:)

Miles

The HP pipe should be closer to the box than that, they normally run pretty well up out of the way, I'd take it off and bend it up slightly

damo

well 350 miles in and finally taken over 6k in the rev range :)

nothings fallen off yet and no leaks :) first time ever as he always spilt PAS fluid before from the rack! Interesting as its the same rack still but the only possible leak is on he speedo area, seems to have a little gearbox oil, but this could be from filling the box up.

Something to check in a few weeks after a few more miles :)

need some nice weather to get the top down now!

damo

well a brief update :)

Over a 1000 miles in now and nothings dropped off!! well I do have a speedo issue but that was due to me breaking the fixing behind the dash, so it looks like the gaffa tapes not working now!!

so everything looks very good and im enjoying it :)

damo

Ok a long over due update :) been driving it now for over a year. Only issue has been the idle control valve died so all going good.

I've finally put braided lines on and upgraded the breaks to 1.9 s. Stops well now so no rush getting those gti6 brakes I have on. Plus summer is here and its roof down weather if the sun stays :).

No real future jobs planned but I may put the scorpion back box on it to see if its not as loud as the magnex system.

damo

Forgot to mention the speedo issue was the engine moving. When it was on the rolling road the gear box end was moving so I swapped this over some time last year and it fixed the issue. 4 k miles in now so I'll change the oil end of the summer at around 6 k.

damo

Nothing to report really, been really trouble free :)

I've popped in new drive shafts hoping to sort a noise! Still there, so it looks to be the gear box getting old! Only other issue is a creaking when pulling away !! Checked a number of times and nothings come of or wobbles underneath so god knows that this is!

Something for October when the tax runs out, assuming I get the white one on the road by then as I cant be without a 205 :) So winter jobs maybe a new sub frame as i'll pop a gti one on it possibly.

Would have posted a new pic up as he got a clean for Pugfest! but I forgot :( Next wash in 12 months then.