• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ljenkins22

Rear Axle Rebuild

ljenkins22

hi guys i have a spare rear axle so im thinking to rebuild it and replace mine, was thinking about the radius arms and how the bearings suffer, has anyone thought of drilling a hole in the swing arm and tapping in a grease nipple, is this something that has been done and what sort of sucsess have you had, all input welcome

CosKev

Can't see them being much good in the swing arm!!!:)

I've put some in the tube on my 306 beam I've just had re-built,keeps me happy thinking I can add grease once or twice a year to my nice new bearings!!

beamparts007.jpg

Miles

The bearings have seals on so greasing them does nothing at all, I;ve even had 1 beam full of grease and it was still dead with bearing failure

ljenkins22

so how much is a bearing kit these days?

ljenkins22

Can't see them being much good in the swing arm!!! :)

I've put some in the tube on my 306 beam I've just had re-built,keeps me happy thinking I can add grease once or twice a year to my nice new bearings!!

beamparts007.jpg

that tube has a massive flat spot

jord294

If you bought genuine parts from Peugeot, you'd be looking at over £380 inc vat

I rebuild and supply for £400 inc px

welshpug

so how much is a bearing kit these days?

Roughly £20 a side, and if you need arm shafts they are about £80 a side.

never tried a grease nipple but common sense says that a grease port in between two sealed bearings isn't going to do much, as miles said you'll just end up with dozens of tubes worth of grease in your crossmember and still a dead beam :lol:

given how cheap the bearings are, just treat them as a consumable part and replace them every few years.

Edited by welshpug

CosKev

Roughly £20 a side, and if you need arm shafts they are about £80 a side.

never tried a grease nipple but common sense says that a grease port in between two sealed bearings isn't going to do much, as miles said you'll just end up with dozens of tubes worth of grease in your crossmember and still a dead beam :lol:

given how cheap the bearings are, just treat them as a consumable part and replace them every few years.

Common sense should tell you then that you will not fit dozens of tubes of grease in there!!!! :lol:

that tube has a massive flat spot

Where's that?

Anthony

Just to back up what Miles has said - fitting grease nipples and using them to fill the tube with copious amounts of grease does not fix the underlying causes of failure and it will still ultimately fail, and just means that you've a horrible clean up job on your hands whenever you do any work on the beam. This is speaking from having stripped several beams that have had this modification done at some point with the best of intentions.

The only advantage is that it tends to prevent the beam from seizing itself solid when it has failed as the grease limits the water ingress and slows the rusting process - however, by the time it has reached that point you're already facing a full and expensive rebuild anyway as the shafts and bearings will be scrap.

Preventative maintenance is the key - namely periodically changing the seals, bearings (outers as a minimum) and re-greasing every few years, rather than just ignoring it until it's showing signs of failure by which time it's too late.