• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lemmingzappa

Fuel Pump Won't Switch Off

lemmingzappa

I have a problem with my fuel pump not switching off when turning the engine off. Sometimes it switches off as usual, sometimes it will continue to hiss and whir away for a couple of minutes and sometimes it will carry on overnight without me realising !

Trouble is it seems to be killing my battery as it didn't have enough juice to even power the clock inside the car this morning. I'm also not sure if this will waste fuel at all ?

Baz suggested to me that it could be shorting out a while back, but I honestly don't know where to start with that part of the loom.

Anthony

It'll be the tachymetric (fuel pump) relay that's faulty.

Usually giving it a sharp tap will stop it if it sticks on as it sounds like yours is, but you really need to replace it.

rallysteve

Sounds like the fuel pump relay sticking open. Which car/engine is it?

If its non-CAT 8v then give the black relay next to the ECU a thump to see if it will switch it off.

Steve

lemmingzappa

It's a 1.6 8v (non-cat). Cheers for your advice guys i'll take a ganders after work !

Rich705

Mine used to do this and i ended up having to remove the fuse(the one closest to the driver) untill i replaced the relay.

ALEX

Have you had any wiring done for a Imobilizer or alarm.

Could be worth checking the connections.

I've not experianced a quality job from an autoelectrician yet, The last time I used one to get the so called "Thatchem approved" certificate that my insurance never asked to see anyway.

The "approved" chop shop in Castleford did such a bodge at installing me an imobilizer that it actually took me 5 minutes to remove it with only a screwdriver.

All the long black relay wires that are supposed to go to hidden locations to immobilise the car were all cut to less than a foot long and wired to the ignition barrel.

The unit was tossed loose behind the heater matix. No soldering was done either, just twist and insulation tape. And he added an extra hole in the plastic on my steering colum when he could have used the hole from my old imobilser below my heater vent.

Edited by ALEX

lemmingzappa

Sorry forgot to mention the new relay fixed this !

Cheers guys.

Dukey

Hmm sorry this is after you have already replaced it, but for anyone else that has searched for this...

I had this very problem and after seeing the replacement cost of the relay at about £60+ I took it apart and cleaned the relay contacts with a small file. Working perfectly for a good few months now. It seems there was a build up on the contacts causing them to stick together, causing the pump to stay on.

Wavywond

Hi Guys,

Had my CTI 6 weeks now and having the same problem. Where is the relay positioned on the car?

amd what does it look like?

Thanks in advance.

lemmingzappa

Have a look next to the ECU. It should look something like this:

!BwEMW7wCWk~$(KGrHqZ,!jgEv1+0EL4BBMHRMPZBNQ~~_35.JPG

Edited by lemmingzappa

Weser

Hi Guys,

Had my CTI 6 weeks now and having the same problem. Where is the relay positioned on the car?

amd what does it look like?

Thanks in advance.

To the left hand side of streering wheel in the lower dash there is a shelf. Mounted up inside above the top of the shelf is the ECU and the relay is to the right hands side of the ECU. (If its a non CAT 205) It is a large black relay

Wavywond

Thanks for that ill have a look when it stops raining. There is a aftermarket fuse holder hangs down in that shelf ill have a good look were it goes.

Thanks for your help ill keep you posted.

rallysteve

The ECU is located to the RIGHT of the steering column just behind and below the vent. I find if my relay sticks a good thump under the dash on that side sorts it :)

Steve

Wavywond

Found the rellay behind the carpet like the one in the earlier post if i flick it it stops. A electrician i know has got some spray stuff he is going to try for me what he uses at work on electrical switches. May save on new rellay. fingers crossed.

chipstick

I've got a surplus one wavy if you want a replacement relay

Sign in to follow this