• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Header Tank Split, Ideas For Patching Up?

davemar

I've got a little crack on my header tank just by the shoulder of the filler neck. When the engine is warmed up it leaks a little, spraying coolant out. Is there anything I can patch it up with? I could replace it, but rather not faff around too much.

welshpug

more of a faff trying to fix than replace, and you can still get them new for £30.

Edited by welshpug

tri_longer

I can't see you finding anyting to reliably seal a crack in a pressurised tank. There are only a few jubilee clips to undo and the two retaining bolts holding it to the car. Don't waste your time and just fit a new one.

ian010778

I picked one up for £2.50 on an auction site

harryskid

I did a temp repair with fibre glass and resin but as said i only used the car like that for one rally and then got a new one. How ever it did work with out leaking !

DamirGTI

.. buy a new one ...

I tried bunch of stuff to repair cracked ones , but none of the methods weren't permanent solution .. not to mention that you're risking a engine overheating with cracked expansion bottle (when you switch the engine off it's up to the sealed pressurized system to hold the coolant beneath the boiling point , so , if you've a crack on the bottle , a bad/leaky bottle pressure cap , leaky hoses etc. localized boiling will occur inside the engine creating steam pockets which will cause metal warping/cracking as a outcome .. HG sealing issues as well ..)

Damir B)

Sign in to follow this