Jump to content

Welcome to the brand new 205GTIDrivers.com website! We hope you'll enjoy it! Read the full notice here.

  • Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

    Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

Shimming Out Vernier Cam Pulley (Dw8) On Mi-16

Recommended Posts

kyepan

As above, anyone know where i can get a suitable shim from?

 

3-4mm case hardened steel - diameter of the cam end with a suitable key way ideally.

 

DW8's are cheap as chips, but shimming them out on the head facing side to clear the head is necessary. Original pulleys stand proud by the above amount.

 

Cheers

 

J

 

ps - i guess this is a bit of a wanted post, but also a who could possibly make one for me post.

Edited by kyepan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vili

I would propably make one from a cam pulley washer. Only little bit of filing for the key.

 

edit: Well actually it wouldn't work since the hole way too small. But maybe you could drill the hole bigger.

Edited by Vili

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kyepan

Shim.png

this is the shim i am having made for other peoples reference. will update when it's fitted to confirm dimensions are all ok.

 

 

cheers

 

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kyepan

Seeing as i am here, how about the next bit, the nice lads at long life gave me their time and expertise, in exchange for some money. I went away with a nice stainless exhaust, new lambda boss and stuff, all fitted for £369.

 

Later that week Anthony came over to help time up the cam, paul came round also as he wanted to have a look, we all ended up having a very long and ultimately frustrating day.

 

By the time he arrived i had the rocker cover off, and was getting ready to set up.

 

First issue was modifying the DTI to allow it to hit the back of the lifter. Stetsons on, welding rod from the back of the garage, some mins later, we had a DTI with extended rod!

IMAG0451.jpg

 

Next we needed to bolt it to the head so it wouldn't move. A bit of old slam panel sufficed, then we re-marked the flywheel so as to find TDC.

 

Tom then turned up with the new slam panel, which he posed with here, including strengthening! win. Here is tom modelling the slam panel..

IMAG0459.jpg

 

Tom awaits comments on the welding from the PCSO welding police! i think it looks good though, Thanks Tom!

IMAG0462.jpg

 

The slam panel is as strong as before it was cut, if not stronger!!! so that would get fitted later..

 

Anyway back to the DTI, Here is the shim paul guardias made. We had to file a little off the shim's keyway to get it to seat nicely, a little bit of interference is no bad thing there.

IMAG0454.jpg

 

We got the DTI bolted on and proceeded to fit the pulley, timed everything up checked all the pins were good, only find out we'd run out of adjustment. note the image was us verifying TDC not actually timing the cam.

IMAG0452.jpg

 

Very frustrating as we were very nearly to the required setting. I was in a particularly particular mood and Ant agreed to let me pull it apart again, so we took the outer vernier section off (note this for later) rotated it slightly and got some more adjustment. Smart! After some more toying with the DTI we got a consistent reading off the lobe we were happy with. 0.65mm at tdc, the peter t stage one cam was now timed up as it should have been.

 

by now it was getting a bit dark, so we got the halogen lamp nicknamed "The Sun" because it's about 400w out and carried on.

 

I'd like to take a moment to comment on the reason why i didn't go for a stage two cam.. or a cat cam.. I didn't have time to sort one out, and i'm too tight to pay for a cat cam.. still, it's something i could perhaps do later on should I want more top end. For now i have a cam that will produce good mid range, a fanimould that should do the same, and inlet lengths that should also do the same.

 

After a bit more time everything was back together and we fired her up.. it was late now, and dark.

 

At this point paul shouted to kill the engine!!! He said the pulley was on wonkey. Upon investigation we had accidentally taken the pulley off and put it back on in such a way as to foul on a raised section of the inner pulley! Sick feeling in stomach, it would have to come apart again.

IMAG0458.jpg

 

It was ten PM, we were all tired, discussed pulling it back apart, and considering we had made a mistake through tiredness, decided to call it quits and pick it up in a few days time. Again both Ant and Paul were legendary.

 

Problem was, it was sunday, i was going to get the car mapped on friday, so thursday night was the only time to do it.. then leave very late night for the long drive down to cornwall, or alternatively get up very early and drive friday morning.

Edited by kyepan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
petert
After some more toying with the DTI we got a consistent reading off the lobe we were happy with. 0.65mm at tdc, the peter t stage one cam was now timed up as it should have been.

 

Great work, but I hope this is a typo! It should be 0.065" or 1.65mm @ TDC.

Edited by petert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anthony

As per the other post, it's Justin's memory playing games - it was set as per your website at 1.65mm @ TDC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kyepan

ahhh so this is where the phantom post went!!!!! win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×