• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
custard-rallye

302 Hp Na Gti6 205

custard-rallye

anybody seen this pretty impressive

dcc

so, its doing 162.5 mph, and revs to 9.7k

mmmmmmmm

allye

Don't these type of engine need rebuilds every ~10,000 miles?

Paul_13

Could be possible, I had 150 mph out of my old box. Was a 405/S16 box apparently. Still had more to go

allye

Could be possible, I had 150 mph out of my old box. Was a 405/S16 box apparently. Still had more to go

Indicated or actual :lol:

Paul_13

Actual... ish

Measured on sat nav by co pilot. Speedo was basically just under 10mph it was that far round :lol:

Strictly_Derv

I'm pretty sure that was the car in this months FastCar, but it's been painted lazer green and looks pretty chavvy now.

f*** doing 150mph in a 205, 60's bad enough :lol:

• Like 3

Miles

You'll be lucky to see 1000 miles out of it, if used as it should

allye

f*** doing 150mph in a 205, 60's bad enough :lol:

Tell me about it, I'v done ~125 and got scared, people say whats your top end, but its hard to explain its not what these cars are about to none car people.

You'll be lucky to see 1000 miles out of it, if used as it should

:o what the hell!

Miles

Seen well over 150 in 205, 309, 405's no worries at all when the suspension is good it's fine, Mind the 309 V6 I have the doors tend to suck open when going slightly quick

Life span, look at any N/A over 280bhp, They don;t last long

Sandy

There are a few inconsistencies in this power run that I can see, aside from the caution that should be applied to any rolling road results. Take a screen grab around "peak power":

Pug1offGTI6.jpg

160mph at 9506rpm, that's 16.8mph/1000rpm; in 5th gear with a GTI6 box I'm told. On 195/50/15s, with a GTI6 box you get 17.9mph, so the actual revs at that speed are more likely 8940rpm, lower still if bigger wheels are being used and tyre growth at that speed is accounted for. What's the significance? The rollers don't read wheel power, they read wheel torque and multiply by the user inputted rpm/speed calibration, so if it's showing 228.7bhp "at the wheels" at 9500rpm, it's reading approx 126lbft at the wheels; if the true rpm is 8940rpm, then the "power at the wheels" is actually 215.2bhp.

Next look at the coast down. I could expand into the folly of coast down, but for the sake of this I'll take it as acceptable. the video shows 48.9bhp coast down loss at 160mph as it slows. One of my customers took his 205 to these rollers (an engine he built himself, not one of mine) and it was recorded with 15bhp loss, a bit low, but it's a single roller and I'd say around 10-12% of power is reasonable for a single roller from what I've seen. The coast down here is showing 48.9bhp at 160mph! But let's assume that is correct (ish), 215.2+48.9 = 264.1bhp.

I hate to get all PumaRacing about it...

Edited by Sandy

allanallen

Sandy, is said car using a standard 6 box and 195/50/15 or are these just assumptions? Surely it could be running a different final drive/gears and different size wheels?

Al

welshpug
Over 300 bhp and 184lb/ft from a 2.0L and still climbing when cut at 9600rpm this engine is good for 315 if allowed to pass 10,000 rpm. Check out the wheel speed. Thats fifth. Theres one more gear left!!!

Batfink

Sandy, is said car using a standard 6 box and 195/50/15 or are these just assumptions? Surely it could be running a different final drive/gears and different size wheels?

Al

going on the price you have to pay for those sort of parts on a gti-6 box I doubt it has those.

Obviously wheels are more affordable...

Edited by Batfink

Sandy

That was my logic... bigger wheels would increase the error, smaller wheels seem pretty unlikely from the pics.

And it's not 2 litre either, one of the suppliers admitted to me it was oversize.

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 1

j_turnell

Made just over 305 in the end, sounded immense. Was revving to 9.6k, this is an old video now, been in 2-3 times since with a few changes.

allanallen

I was just thinking it may have a combo of 'there' 4.8 final drive and larger wheels altering the mph per rpm?

Edited by allanallen

welshpug

it wouldn't get to those speeds with a 4.8!

9500 in 5th on a 4.8 would be 141 on 195 50's, 6th would take you to 167.

allanallen

it wouldn't get to those speeds with a 4.8!

9500 in 5th on a 4.8 would be 141 on 195 50's, 6th would take you to 167.

I've not seen the car, I just read pug1off so assumed it had 19" alloys on :P.

Regardless, I just wanted to know if sandys calcs were done from the exact spec and it appears they're not.

As batfink says its very expensive to start messing with gti6 gearboxes but id imagine theyve got a penny or two if they're building engines like this(305bhp or not).

Sandy

Even if the gearing is correct (I'd put £50 on it's not), we're still looking at 228bhp at the wheels plus 48.9 coastdown (277.6bhp total). To get to over 300bhp flywheel, you have to add more than 70bhp Tx loss at peak power, on a single roller. I'd need some pretty powerful drugs to be convinced of than being real.

My work is a constant stream of some of the best 2 litre engines in the business (not talking about my own), on calibrated and corrected engine dynos, those that nudge 300bhp are EXTREMELY rare and finely honed devices, that have a character you recognise as beyond the norm, which I don't see here, I'm sorry. Circa 260-270bhp on the engine dyno is still unusually good and those engines often show more in reportedly accurate rolling roads! To produce an engine in that area is always something to be proud of.

You can believe what you want to believe.

allye

So the engine Miles is building and aiming for 280 is pretty damn impressive!

BlueBolt

So the engine Miles is building and aiming for 280 is pretty damn impressive!

I'd say!! Isn't the engine Miles is building being aimed at a reliable lump too?? Which would be even more impressive!!

Edited by BlueBolt

Spiky

Tell me about it, I'v done ~125 and got scared, people say whats your top end, but its hard to explain its not what these cars are about to none car people.

:o what the hell!

you dont want a SC car then, with my stack and GPS, i have a speed of 142 as peak on mine at the moment, and was still pulling very well

i think mine is capable of 150-155 with the gearbox and rev range :D

300NA would be lovely, but i wouldnt want the rebuild costs :(

GilesW

I built and ran a 267bhp '2ltr' NA engine in my last track car and if this is really a 302bhp engine that hats off to him, but from that video I think I'mI agreeing with what Sandy is saying.

There is an incredibly small percentage of engines that reach the magic (true) 300bhp, but many many more that reach it with some slight inaccuracy on the rollers.

dav1

Is't pug1off on here to comment? or north Hampton motor sport?