• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ian010778

Fuel Leak Following Filter Change

ian010778

Howdy,

I changed my fuel filter last weekend and after fitting the new unit the bottom joint leaked. At the time I didn't realise the issues about re-using copper washers and when I took the old filter off I was surprised to see that there was only one washer on each joint but I just put the new filter on as the old one came off as it worked fine (just needed changing).

So, I removed the new filter and annealed four appropriatley sized copper washers and re-fitted the new filter with a washer under each bolt-head and between the new filter and the banjos.

However, when I started her tonight the bottom joint is still leaking.

What are the odds that the leak could be coming from the joint between the rubber fuel line and the banjo and how would I go about testing this as I can'r see exactly where the leak is - I can just see and feel the bottom joint becoming wet with fuel?

If the fuel line/banjo joint is leaking, would it be easy to repair/replace please?

Any help would be much appreciated please, the car is a standard 1989 1.6.

Thanks all in advance

Ian

daneldridge23

i just used a normal filter with spiggets either side, and just jubileed the lines on to it no more leeks!

dcc

The banjo needs to sit flush against the copper washer, which needs to be clean/replaced for a new item.

without doing that to start, you'll be pissing into the wind.

Sign in to follow this