• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bigsuv

Rear Beam Flexible Joint Housing Missing

bigsuv

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum, but I have used it extensively over the past few months since buying my 1.9 gti. On every occasion the forum has come up with the goods, however this time I'm really struggling...

I have just bought a rebuilt rear beam from a company as the old one is knackered. I hoped it would be a case of simply swapping the old one for the new one, but upon receiving the new beam I noticed that the whole flexible joint housing was missing from the crossmember bracket. The whole beam has been re-painted so it's hard to tell whether it has been ground off or whether it never existed in the first place. I have spoken to the company that reconditioned it and they said that it arrived from the previous owner like that. I've tried looking all over the forum and the internet and can't find any other examples of this. All I can find are articles on fitting solid mounts or refurbing worn mounts, but I've got nothing to fit the new mounts in, so I'm assuming this isn't normal, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

So rather naively I'm asking if the flexible mounting bushes are essential or whether the new beam can be bolted on without them? If the answer is no then I guess it's going back to where it came from.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Tom Fenton

A picture will help us massively here. You can host a photo on such as "Photobucket" and then post the link here. It sounds to me like perhaps it isn't a 205 beam tube.

Miles

I'd get back onto the phone and ask some question's, A beam should be sold with the front bush's fitted along with the correct brackets, the rear's fair enough not to be supplied but should be listed as a extra at the very least

bigsuv

Thanks for the replies guys, I've been back in touch with the company who supplied it and they've taken it back to replace with the correct brackets. Turns out they got it from a scrap yard, and "hadn't noticed the brackets were wrong". Their excuse was that they don't do many 205 beams these days (more 206/306/etc), and that the scrappy may have put the wrong brackets on. Hmmmm.

I'll give them one more chance then get my money back if still wrong. Maybe I should have come to you guys first.

Thanks

Adam

Miles
Anthony

If they can't even send you the correct beam and seem to have no idea about 205 beams, I dread to think what the recon quality is like or what specification beam you're actually going to end up being sent (ie likely a base model one if it's from a scrappy)

bigsuv

Yeah it makes you wonder... I'll reserve final judgment until I get the beam back and try it on. They offer a lifetime guarantee and have said that they'll take it back for a full refund if I'm not satisfied. Out of interest, if I'm not happy when it comes back, would either of you two be interested in helping me out with a rebuilt beam?