• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

welshpug

might have missed it, but could someone for some strange reason bolt an 8 valve XU head onto the EW7 block using an EW10 crank to make a 1.9?

something too new to me to know anything about! but what is a blend type cooling system?

• Like 1

Batfink

I dont think the EW and XU parts are compatable are they?

welshpug

read through and you'll see cylinder spacings match and cranks are swappable :)

S@m

something too new to me to know anything about! but what is a blend type cooling system?

I wondered this also, but didnt want to prove my ignorance by asking.. :blush:

Liquid_106

Think I've read somewhere on here (think it was Sandy) that the heads & blocks are interchangable in terms of cranks / pistons, but the oil / water gallaries don't match up, but don't quote me! :blush:

Batfink

read through and you'll see cylinder spacings match and cranks are swappable :)

internals maybe but big parts like sumps dont and I dont think the heads will fit either. I'd love to be corrected as I have a lot of XU parts.

Sandy what was the weight of your XU7 / Gti6 head engine?

Alan_M

Longman's 206 190 was a standard 138 with bodies and exhaust, with 170 lbft it had 20 lbft more than the 180 at peak, it also had more than the 180 had at peak, at 3.5k :D

it made 185 before the manifold was changed, though they don't say what the torque was.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/39687/peugeot_206_gti.html

I'm finding that article extremely interesting! I have a non multiplex EW10J4 engine in my garage doing sod all so may give this a go.

Will a 1.9 Mi16 crank fit?

Edited by Alan_M

welshpug

read back a few pages ;)

not sure why you'd want to replace an 88mm crank with an 88mm one though? :unsure:

Edited by welshpug

Anthony

Wonderfully detailed information as usual Sandy :)

Weight is impressive - 96kg built (less exhaust manifold) seems very light to me, as that's significantly lighter than the book weight for even an 8v XU5/9 isn't it?

Will a 1.9 Mi16 crank fit?

EW10 is 88mm stroke anyway, so no capacity increase from a 1.9 Mi crank like you'd get with an XU10 for example if that's what you were hoping.

45mm big ends on the EW10 and 50mm big ends on the XU9 would stop it being a swap anyway, regardless of other issues.

brumster

The 45mm big ends, from my limited understanding (ie. just bowing to the advice of people I trust to be in the know) are a much preferred balance between strength and drag/reciprocating mass. As Cameron said, I'd be interested in seeing results on :-

1) What can be achieved figures-wise with a cam swap and a move to TB's (and that's all, bar some sensible mods like big end bolts, bearings and so forth if they were considered necessary)

2) What can be released with further head work (assuming it is warranted) and piston/rod combinations, while staying at 2 litre (I have class regs to worry about) and without going to an expensive crank.

3) What can be released with crank changes - again, assuming these are even warranted, which maybe they're not? Presumably crank changes would only be needed in the pursuit of higher revs, along with solid lifters, which begs again the question what the bottom end is good for in terms of RPMs, and whether chasing RPM is something the EW10 needs desparately - sounds like the bottom end is inherently strong anyway?

edit : Maybe I should clarify what I'm driving at. I like that I can get my XU10 to ~250bhp/180ft.lb on a standard, albeit balanced, crank. Can I get similar, or better, numbers from an EW with just head/cams/psitons/rods? I'm guessing from Sandy's description of the bottom end that it's good for it, but does the rest need more work than an XU to get those numbers? Sounds like it doesn't... which sounds promising!

Edited by brumster

Alan_M

read back a few pages ;)

not sure why you'd want to replace an 88mm crank with an 88mm one though? :unsure:

I don't know either ;)

What about exhaust manifolds? Is there any chance an XU 16v one will fit?

Quite interested in supercharger conversion too and wondering the overall output an 138bhp EW will chuck out.

Sandy

I've done several Duratecs on just bodies and the results are very similar to standard Mi16 or GTI6 on bodies. In Ford terms it's a good engine (and the later Zetecs weren't all that bad), but it's not that remarkable if you're used to Peugeots or Hondas. In terms of parts availability, everything you can buy for the Duratec, is available for the EW, rods, pistons, cams, pulleys, cranks, you name it. If you want to take advantage of mass market high quality parts, then none can get close Honda engines. Building a Duratec using low-medium quality components will be very much the same deal as an XU or EW, using the better stuff will be just as expensive. I'm not kidding around about this, on the Duratec we've engine dyno and in car tested just about every available rod, piston, crank, cams, inlet set up, exhaust manifold, head (inc our own, Cosworth and other CNC ones) in 2.0 and 2.3 litre form, even several other builders complete engines! I know what I've seen and felt and I don't think the engine deserves any exceptional credit over the best of the rest, including the EW.

Incedentally, as a nugget that is worth taking heed of, the best results we've seen from a 2 litre Duratec (in terms of overall delivery), have been from the worst performing head on the flow bench (a head we ported according to what we felt was right by eye/measurement and only flow tested after). Which serves to reinforce my belief that flow benches are a distraction in most cases.

Comparisons between the EW and XU are arbitrary unless you can align the specifications enough to be truly objective about it. But as i've said already, a stiffer, more advanced and lighter block design is good for high stress applications, especially improved reliability. The heads are clearly developements of the XU design that I feel overcome the limitations of the XUs; not necessarily for outright peak power or flow bench results, but for making a better engine overall. Playing top trumps with pure numbers isn't what it's about for me; I look to improve the way the power is delivered, how it drives (often a function of how well it maps and that's an important feedback loop) and that helps it to perform well for longer; less worries for me and better value for the users.

That weight quoted is literal, with a race flywheel, inlet, wet sump, no fluids. I'm not sure what the exact weight of comparable XUs are off the top of my head, but if I get the chance I'll weigh them too on the same scales.

The middle bottom 3 bolts on the exhaust manifold are in the same place relative to the exhaust ports as the GTI6/late XU heads, I have a double drilled dyno manifold I use on both, the in car angle will be all wrong!

Perhaps using the Mi16 crank (I haven't tried it), would enable a choice of 50mm BE journal rods from the standard range, to mix and match, you'd have to figure that out for yourself.

Trying to fit an 8v head crosses the mind, for sure, but on a rational level... why bother?! The oil feed is in the right place, coolant holes close enough, but oil drains would need to be external.

Using mildly upgraded factory EWs, will always be limited by the hydraulic followers really, before anything else and I see no reason why it shouldn't be fine with a 7200-7500 limit, unless you use it like an idiot! Beyond that, it's becoming a race engine and like any engine, careful scrutiny of components is sensible (even Honda engines need attention for sustained 8000rpm use if modified).

Edited by Sandy

Cameron

Do you know anyone who makes a dry sump pan / kit for the EW? In my limited knowledge of sump manufacturers I can only find things for the XU block.

simpsonrc

Hi, I’m new here. Found this when I was looking for some info on the EW’s and there’s lot of useful stuff. I have a LHD 206 180 track car (EW10J4S), I have put it on 45mm jenveys and a DTA s60 ecu it runs and goes well. The engine and exhaust are completely standard, the bodies are on the jenvey dcoe manifold (not the best) with 30mm trumpets and completely rewired to the DTA s60 with the vvt working. I found that the vvt works best at fully advanced from about 1500-2000rpm. The EW10J4S head also has two oil breathers just under the inlet ports. I have dyno graphs from before and after the bodies all though they are different dynos but both very reliable If anyone is interested.

Cameron

Yeah I'd love to know what kind of power it made in that state of tune.

simpsonrc

In standard form

My link

with bodies and DTA s60

My link

Edited by simpsonrc
  • Like 1

welshpug

170 LBFT peak, nice :D and over 150 lbft between 3.5k and 6.5k!

RossD

Yes, lovely flat torque curve there! That much torque in a 205 should punt it along quite well.

I'm veeeeery tempted to pick up an EW for a long term project.... Using the bodies and ECU currently on my TU.

edbar

How do they respond to differant cams? Do you have to change the pistons to fit a decent set like the xu10j4rs?

Sandy

180 engine has notches, but need to be carefully measured if retaining VCT. Not so much checked the clearance on the standard GTI engine, but probably better than GTI6, given slightly smaller valves.

edbar

Im very intaerested in converting to ew, so basically we are saying fit some cams and verniers to ditch vct, throttle bodies and dta and we are looking at over 200bhp and 150lbft at a little over the weight of an xu 8 valve? Would they be a bitch to mount and plumb in to a 205?

Cameron

Excuse my laziness, but is the gearbox bolt pattern the same? I.e. can you fit a BE gearbox to the EW?

welshpug

You use a BE box with an EW bellhousing.

BE box is not specific to the XU engine, its used on XUD, EW, DW, TU, DV, maybe a few more :lol: obviously with a few variations in bellhousing pattern and angle.

ponz

Im very intaerested in converting to ew, so basically we are saying fit some cams and verniers to ditch vct, throttle bodies and dta and we are looking at over 200bhp and 150lbft at a little over the weight of an xu 8 valve? Would they be a bitch to mount and plumb in to a 205?

Why would you want to ditch VCT?

I'd love to see a project thread on here where someone's actually done this conversion.