• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

N3VRAM

[misc_work] Introducing My 205 Rallye

N3VRAM

Quite frankly pissed off with the MOT test centre i took my car to the other day, after giving it a good going over i've been given a pretty big list of things 'wrong' with the car. One of the things i had failed on was 'excessive play in the o/s track control arm balljoint'.. upon buying a replacement part from gsf and taking the old one out to replace i find that i can't even move the balljoint with my hand! there is nothing wrong with it what so ever - so i plan to take that back with me and ask the guy who said this if he'd like to explain exactly whats wrong...

What concerns me is i've also failed because of 'excessive play in rear n/s radius arm'... i'm worried that this guy has mistaken this for the obviously knackered wheel bearing (which isn't mentioned on the to-do list from the MOT test station) for a bad rear axle which has cost me alot of money to replace! i'll just have to see what i find tomorrow when i'll have a proper look. One things for sure i will not be using them again!

N3VRAM

Just a quick update as i come on here to ask a question about driveshafts which i've since figure out the answer too...

Changing the steering rack this morning, will fully refurb the one thats come off... never found a use for the piece of plastic and theres no sign of it on my old rack so im not going to worry.

WP_000519.jpg

MiniGibbo

So hard to find a test centre you can actually trust....

• Like 1

N3VRAM

also saw that minigibbo took the time to give his wiper arms a lick of paint - upon inspecting mine found the paint to be flaking in the exact same places so i took a leaf out of his book and got to work with a couple of bits

WP_000512.jpg

WP_000513.jpg

thats all for this weekend!

N3VRAM

got some preview shots through from my gymkhana today just thought i'd put them up, they are low res to make me buy em'

45.jpg

Edited by N3VRAM

N3VRAM

And so its time for an update. I got alot done this weekend.. starting with this:

brakeswitch.jpg

(Brake Switch) - Fitted and functioning!

Next up was the serious work - swapping the axles over. Over the course of the weekend i've given my newly arrived (i say newly arrived because its not new - just from a 1.6 auto with very low mileage) rear axle. I've given it a rub down and a quick lick of hammerite on the beam and torsion bars. Heres a before and after:

axlebefore.jpg

Before

axlepaint.jpg

After

It's been a pretty quick job if im honest - hopefully this is just a stop-gap between a rebuilt axle. Anyway then it was onto the next task of removing the axle currently on the car, off with all the wheels, shocks and exhaust!

prep.jpg

and that was the end of it saturday, i left my old rallye looking pretty sorry for itself..

stilts.jpg

Sunday i was up bright and early (with a small hangover) to finally get the old axle off - which is easy enough (i counted 6 bolts) apart from one bloody bracket that reaked havoc and destroying a seized brake line.. the braket removal mentioned ended with 3/3 sheared bolts by the end of its removal ( please tell me what it does further down in the post)! Heres the condition of the underside of the car - i decided to give it a cleanup before putting the fresh axle on.

undersidebefore.jpg

Before

undersideafter.jpg

After

After a cup of tea and a sausage roll it was finally time to start putting things back together, and heres how it went (after a lot of pissing around!)

beamon.jpg

Beam Fitted

complete.jpg

Shocks, Drums, Brakelines and Exhaust fitted - (SOME PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE OFFENDING BRAKET DOES WITH THE SHINY NEW SCREWS ON!)

Edited by N3VRAM

N3VRAM

Also - if someone knows a good thread about lowering the torsion bars i'd be very greatful for the info..

skyscraper.jpg

Thats a longgg way down. Just got the tracking to do now then fingers crossed for the MOT on tuesday! Also i just thought i'd meantion that the radius are had ALOT of play in so was defo worth the swap - this one has none.

Edited by N3VRAM

N3VRAM

Just thought i'd post a quick update whilst i'm on here.. the cars not been handling very well for a few weeks and i've lost motivation for the thing at the moment - its not even had a wash for 4 weeks!

So i finally got some red carpet and put that in, forgot how quiet it is with carpet in your car!

WP_000667.jpg

also got some old school orange indicators..

WP_000662.jpg

N3VRAM

Its been ages since i updated!

I couldn't get the pug to drive in a straight line whilst i had it on the road, and relying on it as my only form of transport to get to work (i can't even get a bus) wasn't working. So i went out and bought myself another car, and was able to start planning on what to do with her. After some (alot) of thought i decided i couldn't bear the idea of someone local taking my car and either 'chavvying' it up or driving it through a hedge (i'm the only one that gets to do that!). My dad and i often use his MG Maestro to do a bit of grassroots motorsport in and decided we would give it a go with the rallye.

So over the last few months the car has sat outside unloved, until the tax run out and i got it in the garage. This is the work that has been done over the last week:

*Spacers made up to fit strut brace over original air intake (which is now a complete OE system again!.. bar uprated filter in original box)

*Long driveshaft replaced

*160lb gravel spec springs occupying the billies spring pans

*Modified 4-1 mani with big-bore heavy duty downpipe

*Replaced top mount bearings

I've also bought a 6-point rollcentre bolt in cage which i will fit in the summer, as well as the 205 XS tu engine+gearbox which i plan to rebuild tune and fit in asap.

Whilst the car was under the garage roof i decided to rub down some of the rust that accumulated in the wheel jack area and primer it.. although everything will be coming out of the engine bay in a few weeks time and i'll get at all of the rust properly then. Heres some random pictures -

WP_20130308_006_zpsb03f977e.jpg​

WP_20130308_013_zps23b6497c.jpgâ

cage_zps255fdd99.jpg

(thats not my car in the background).

Today i competed in a Targa rally in Woodbridge (one word - slippery!). The new springs made a word of difference and still held the car in very well! Unfortunately i run the car wide and went over a large piece of concrete, which in turn split a break line and cracked the top weld on the exhaust mani! Back into the garage she goes - that'll teach me!

Anyway so the plan for the car over the next few months is to get it tuned up as much as possible (for a 1360cc haha) - watch this space!

Oh heres a couple of pics from today as well, i'll upload some of the 'action' ones as and when they are put on the motorclub website...

486442_10200246519399270_828079238_n_zps​

WP_20130310_0061_zps7974a38b.jpg​

N3VRAM

I'll throw one in of the engine bay also -

WP_20130308_017_zpsc7fbe116.jpg​

N3VRAM

Here is a set of the preview shots from the water spalshes on Sundays event:

38511988.jpg

• Like 1

N3VRAM

Got some updates/pictures:

*Added red dot grooved discs:

WP_20130513_005_zps0fbe65bd.jpg​

*Last Targa we done ended up dragging the fuel lines across the floor with us, also made a bend in the pipe that was stopping the flow. So we run the fuel lines inside the car:

WP_20130513_001_zps0853ef98.jpgâ

Also the fuel pump was in the boot so we relocated this to a safer place:

WP_20130513_007_zps375dcc33.jpgâ

Also made some changes to the dash to give us some room for new dials and switches as/when we need them:

WP_20130518_001_zps8115748a.jpg​

Borrowed the harnesses out of my dads car and got the eyes installed, really need to get some red harnesses to go with the car:

WP_20130518_004_zps67b3e143.jpg​

WP_20130518_005_zps315c7631.jpg​

Heres a quick pic from our last Targa:

8830287452_bbf0789059_k_zps95fbafc7.jpg​

Palm_Bay

Just read the whole thread, some impressive work. Shame its off the road now, but I bet doing some rallies is a right blast. Nice to know there is another Rallye just up the road from me.

N3VRAM

Thanks man, yeah it is a shame but needs must! You know how fun they are to drive and doing rallies means i get to drive it how it should be driven :D There is another guy in Chelmsford i've noticed recently driving a Yellow one thats in good order aswell, although i don't think hes a member of these forums. Do you have any plans for yours?

Willem_Jacobs

Got some updates/pictures:

WP_20130518_005_zps315c7631.jpg​​

You should never use this kind of seatbelts as a improvement when using the standard seats... The upper bands will tear right trough the seat (its really not that strong if something serious is about to happen) and as a result you will seriously hurtr your collarbones and maybe even break your back in the progress... Get yourself some decent seats, or make sure the rear mountingpoints are a fair bit higher up!

N3VRAM

Thanks for the advice, some seats are on the list i can only do one thing at a time due to £££s! I understand what your saying though.

N3VRAM

Update:

Top mount plates fitted and painted:

DSC_0143_zps4b3653f3.jpg​

Cage rubbed down, repainted, plates welded in and fitted:

DSC_0148_zps75f74252.jpg​

Seats & seat mounts fitted:

DSC_0147_zps3c6374ba.jpg​

We've also replaced the steering wheel for a dished one, upgraded the pads from greenstuff to DS3000 (WOW, what a difference this makes!), changed the clutch and swapped the gearbox for the XS one (closer ratios), rerun the fuel and brake lines through the car, removed the center section silencer from the system, got all the gauages working and repaired the manifold after we hit the downpipe against some lose concrete and the impact cracked the mani. Oh TCAs have had to be replaced AGAIN too!

I need to get the steering sorted before we can focus on the engine, i need to buy a new rack i guess. I'm looking into the prospect of buying a quick rack but at the same time i'm worried about how heavy the steering is going to be!

Sorry for the crap photos by the way.

N3VRAM

Just a little pic of the pug from our event yesturday:

IMG_0204_zps3d839d36.jpg​

• Like 1

N3VRAM

Update time.

First off finally covered the primer with some paint here:

image1_zpshyrvllst.jpg4

We've also changed the plumbing of the car a little to create some space.

image3_zpsrlh8najn.jpg​

Purchased some new 13" wheels and some decent tires to suit. I'll upload a picture of these on the car once i've put them on!

image5_zpsqgtsvem7.jpg​

We've decided to change the steering setup on the 205 for a VTS PAS setup for some more responsive steering. Heres some pictures so far as we are currently in the process of finishing this job off. We will be using the pump from a Saxo and the wiring from the Xsara in order to get the PAS setup and working, whilst we gave the rack we purchased some new gators and 205 arms. We will also be using rose jointed TREs (pictures to follow).

image4_zpsqnkfgpud.jpg​

image2_zpsxeqqzbst.jpg​

I'll take a few more pictures and upload them as things unfold.

Edited by N3VRAM

N3VRAM

Starting today I'm going to try and keep this thread a little more up to date than I have for the last year or two. We've now purchased another engine from Rippthrough with the following:

It's out of my 306 but is the earlier alloy block engine not the heavier iron.
It's fitted with a heavily reworked cylinder head from a 205XS (same head as the TU3M it had, but with a slightly perkier cam as standard), the inlets are enlarged a touch but the flow pattern altered substantially with a lot of work on the SSR and seat area - including backfilling for reshaping - which along with chamber work and a matching skim to bring compression up to 10.4 to 1 rather than the stock 9.3 helps performance right across the range, bottom to top.
With the matching port and chamber work this ran fine on standard ignition timings with my 3M ecu, just run on 97 RON instead of 95.

Exhaust ports are similar to stock size to keep flow speed up and prevent reversion (I was originally intending for a lumpier cam and R6 throttle bodes with a Megasquirt ECU - both the latter may be for sale too) but to match the inlets they are heavily reworked where the seat transitions into the port, which is quite poor on stock heads.
However, it is due for some new valve guides, they're a bit tired by now as it used to use a touch of oil when idling for long periods, even with new upper seals.
Basically the aim was for a head that would still work with a mild cam/standard rev range and injection and pull cleanly right from the bottom to the top.

Bottom end is pretty standard, compression was fine last time I checked it, it had new bottom end bearings ~ 6 years ago just because I had some to hand and was replacing crank seals, had a headgasket around the same time. Cambelt was done about 8k ago along with water pump and pullies, and it's been run on decent fully synth whilst I had it - there's Castrol 10w60 Racing in the sump at the minute.

I've bought an engine stand and started stripping an engine that I purchased from another forum mumeber which came out of a low mileage XS which I will use the head described above on. I'm giving it a paint before we put it back together with all serviceable items being replaced too and I've also bought a Newmans PH3 cam and vernier pulley to go with.

The reasoning behind moving the head onto a different bottom end is because we know that the flywheel will be balanced correctly with the matching engine as this is something we're a little cautious of.

barneys66

Nice work!

I haven't marshalled at a Targa in Woodbridge but will look out for you if I do. Have been marshalling local trials recently.

I belong to WSMC and do autosolos with mine. Do you run the cooling loop with your Saxo pump..?

N3VRAM

Thanks Barney

No we haven't included the cooler as part of the power steering conversion as we didn't think it was really essential to have. Changing the steering for this Xsara VTS rack and Saxo PAS setup was by far the biggest improvement we've made to the car so far, especially on the twisty bits!

I'm part of Chelmsford MC but have done some Targa's organised by WSMC before. I'd quite like to give something else a go and was thinking either auto solo or maybe even having a go at a sprint, i do like navigational stuff though.. you have someone else to share the grin!

barneys66

Good point !! I know a few of the WSMC'ers prefer targa to autosolo, so I think I'll give that a go someday (but in a different car!)

Agree on the steering; unbelievable difference. Mine has cut out a couple of times when doing autosolos, as it's worked pretty hard, so I'll give the loop a try and see if that cures..

• Like 1