• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

N3VRAM

[misc_work] Introducing My 205 Rallye

N3VRAM

Be weary of them FirstLine track arms, they're dogs*it to put it straight. Lasted me no more than 3000 miles on the diesel.

Remind me on Friday about that rack and i'll get it sorted

oh really? if i'm totally honest i didn't think branding would make too much difference with something like those.. will defo keep an eye out <_< thanks paul

allye

take the window out your self, rub it all back and prepare it as much as you can. Let the professionals do the filler and spraying.

Paul_13

To give you an idea, I could spin the balljoint round freely with my fingers. The bushe had separated fully from the outer collar and banging on the large washer on the tie bar. On both sides pretty much

N3VRAM

oh dear, so if mine go the same way what brand did you go for after?

Paul_13

FAI/motorquip are pretty good. or swap over to Gti running gear. Handles much better in my opinion

Edited by Paul_13

allye

I'm not so sure Paul, I work on my car at a friends garage and the local, good quality motor factors is always delivering first line products. Maybe you got a very bad batch/item.

Paul_13

I've had quite a few FirstLine products that had failed super quick. Track rod ends, wishbones, strut bearings, bushes, rack ends. I steer clear now

cheesegrater

I've had quite a few FirstLine products that had failed super quick. Track rod ends, wishbones, strut bearings, bushes, rack ends. I steer clear now

Those wish bones you had were dangerous mate.

cRaig

I had first line track tod ends that failed after less than 10 months, and looked worse than the onces they replaced! I have made a point of avoiding them totally in this rebuild.

Other than that, nice car and write up :)

S@m

Very nice 205! Even makes those saxo vtr wheels look good, which i thought was impossible! Mine has a touch of rust in that same place aswell, nice to see its easily sortable. Either way, liking the car and write up!

Sam

N3VRAM

Judging on what people have said im preparing for the worst with the first line control arms, see how it goes for now i suppose. I'm not a great deal fond of the VTR alloys myself either they will have to go one day but many more important things to do first!

Just typical that one of my rear wheel bearings has gone just before the weekend, and the monkey that got his hands on the one before has snapped the holes in the circlip.. been spending the afternoon so far trying to chizzle the circlip away to get the bearing out :unsure: .. also rear seatbelts need some adjustments to make the hole in the belt line up with the one in the boot so they won't be going on until mid-week (or if i can be bothered to get the file out tonight).

If you look at my original post you can see those horrible/cheap 8LED idicators, as one of them decided to drop off when washing my car this morning im considering just taking the repeaters out and replacing them with bungs, and then getting amber indicators, any thoughts?

Cheers for the comments and advice guys. Thanks, Matt.

N3VRAM

Chizzled out the circlip and then the bearing would come out no matter how many times i hit it with a mallet, in the end had to ask a neighbour to heat the thing up with his blowtorch and eventually it came out.

IMG_0019.jpg

Quote some effort just to change a wheel bearing ^_^ new one went in easy as pie as the drum was still nice and toasty.

Edited by N3VRAM

N3VRAM

Thought i'd post a quick update here..

Not realy been doing much on the car recently, but i have been collecting bits! I also have three questions..

I had no bumpstops on the car, every time i went in a dip at any sort of speed i got a lovely scrape and figured these would help the problem a bit.. trouble was finding some bump stop holders! so my old man made me some:

IMG_0097.jpg

So i fitted these and they helped a little bit - but i've since noticed that my car is leaning to one side at the back!? I'm going to try and change the shocks - 1. Is it atall possible for the torsion bar to soften (dropping one side)? Any advice on why this might have happened and what i could try to fix it would be great..

I've also bought these (to refurb):

IMG_0042.jpg

As well as 3x106 rallye S1 steels.. 2. What is the difference because they look identical to me? 3. Also would you go for spraying or powdercoating?

I've also got a 4-1mani for a 106 which i hope to get altered and fitted asap.

Thanks for your help guys! ;)

Matt

allye

So i fitted these and they helped a little bit - but i've since noticed that my car is leaning to one side at the back!? I'm going to try and change the shocks - 1. Is it atall possible for the torsion bar to soften (dropping one side)? Any advice on why this might have happened and what i could try to fix it would be great..

I'll let a beam expert answer that one.

As well as 3x106 rallye S1 steels.. 2. What is the difference because they look identical to me?

S1 106 Rallye wheels are 5.5j and S2 are 6j, if I'd known how bad they scrub I would have got S1 wheels.

3. Also would you go for spraying or powdercoating?

Podwer coating every time

Matt

N3VRAM

Thanks for your help Allye. How much was your rallye lowered by? as i've put the S2's on and they don't seem to scrape atall - even over the bumpy stuff! I've also noticed that since i've put these wheels on the back end no longer looks like its leaning, not quite sure what was going on...

On with a quick update - i went for a drive when we had the 'flash floods' to see if my rallye liked to swim... it didn't and i broke down after an hour or so and of course the floor filled with water. So out has come the carpet this weekend!

wp201205211.jpg

wp20120521.jpg

Also put some uprated engine mounts in the other day... things are not exactly 'relaxing' going up and down the a12 every day to say the least! :lol: Now i've gotta find some nice red gti carpet to get in.

I've since sorted the rust out on the floor (pretty bad in the drivers footwell) and gave it a really quick paint where possible. I plan to get some gromits to fill in any holes also!

N3VRAM

Okay so whilst my rallye's drying up inside for now i thought i'd try and sort the rear shocks out..

(for my own reference - BNE-1932)

WP_000439.jpg

Saw these for a good price on ebay so snatched them up, only done 6k on a stdt so hardly been ragged.

I fitted these yesturday and not noticed too much difference from the spax that were on the back but this has cured the car tilt problem i had (where the car sits lower on one side) which is good news! I know these are only supposed to be OEM replacements but they are a lot thicker and stiffer even than the spax that came off, i think it hasn't made much difference to the ride purley because of the angle they point at - theres never really that much travel compared to some cars that point much more vertical.

One thing thats really annoying me about this car is everything is so tightly cranked up (mainly by previous owners) and seized, im re'greasing everything as i go so this isn't as much of an issue in the future..

I'll update again soon.

Edited by N3VRAM

N3VRAM

Also remembered (on my way out to the car this morning) i replaced the chavvy side repeaters after one fell off for some gti ones. I'll probably change the actual indicators to orange rather than clear also.

WP_20120613.jpg

erwin_meijer

Looking great mate B)

N3VRAM

Thanks Mate :)

I'm doing my first Gymkhana in the car tomorrow and im excited! Bought some Bilsten challenge spec struts for the front in place of the terrible worn out spax stuff that was there before, also put some EBC greenstuff pads on and fitted some goodridge hoses!

WP_000480-1.jpg

Hopefully i'll get some pics up after, off to have a cleanup!

MiniGibbo

Good progress dude, this has vertilly the exact same spec as mine just white lol...

welshpug

got your struts on the wrong sides!

GeorgeXS

True, but doesn't matter seeing as he has base model suspension.

N3VRAM

got your struts on the wrong sides!

Yes realised that after i got the first one in! :P But looking at the stuff that come off i saw it made no difference for my car like george says - and as long as they didn't scrape on the front wheel (which they don't) im happy!

Got back from my first gymkhana today, was great fun but unfortunatley i managed to run the tyre off the front rim round a hairpin on the last test!

600188_3873761176120_1766468290_n.jpg

Good progress dude, this has vertilly the exact same spec as mine just white lol...

TY Mate!

N3VRAM

Had my MOT and failed miserably...

One of the things which i was pulled up on was my track rod ends (which i was kind of aware about anyway). This evening i've taken an opportunity to put some new tre's on a spare rack Paul was kind enough to give to me (mine has quite a bit of play).. i seem to have a plastic gromet which i am unsure where to put on the rack, and was wondering if anyone could help identify before i take my old rack off the car?

Heres a picture:

WP_000502.jpg

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

~ Matt

N3VRAM

Be weary of them FirstLine track arms, they're dogs*it to put it straight. Lasted me no more than 3000 miles on the diesel.

Remind me on Friday about that rack and i'll get it sorted

Oh and just as Paul said, i failed on my tca balljoints after only 8months of having them installed.. will never buy anything branded firstline again - complete and utter s*it!