• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

N3VRAM

[misc_work] Introducing My 205 Rallye

N3VRAM

I hope to be hanging around on the forums as much as possible so thought i'd post some pictures of my 205 rallye and the story so far.. so here goes

DSCN0946.jpg

DSCN0952.jpg

I bought this back in May, picked it up for £850 off a guy about my age and drove it back from Maidstone, Kent to Chelmsford Essex in a pretty bad way; backfiring, slight missfire, no brakes, 3" backbox, drinking petrol like anything and would barley hit 70. Once me and the old man got it back in the gargae to our suprise most of the problems were overcome pretty quickly. We bought a new carb for £50 off eBay (standard solex) and bought the original air system from an xs (the old carb was knackard and had some water choke that my car made no use of? and just had a gauze over the top as there was no airbox), changed the plugs, leads and cap etc, chopped down the exhaust and welded a smaller bar on the end, bled the brakes and that was about it!

Picture of the backbox chopped down, it sounds really nice!

A couple of months down the line and it overheated on my way into basildon, this was due to the fan not kicking in when the car got up to temperature, upon taking a look into this we found that not only was there a wiring issue, but the rad in the engine bay must have never been changed as it was leaking and falling apart in a bad way. From there i decided to buy a new one, and ended up going for a slightly bigger one (http://images.esellerpro.com/2422/I/425/2/Peugeot%20205%200021.jpg) which involved me dismantaling and joining the bottom rail from the old one in order to get the thing in comfortably!

Picture of the radiator fitted

I also had an issue with the ignition, whereby if i went out to my car an hour or so after the drive home from work i turned the key and there was nothing there. After replacing the starter motor to no avail we decided to get around this by putting in an engine start button wired directly to the started motor. Theres also room on the panel to have a couple of dials put in, however i've only bought one so theres an odd one sitting in there.. neither of which have been wired up as yet! I've got a water temp dial and i'm buying a matching battery dial at the end of the month.

Picture of Panel

Over the christmas holiday the cambelts getting changed as i've got no idea when it was last done :s aswell as some new brake shoes. Once thats done i'll be slowly taking things forward with the car, and it would be really nice to keep a record on here of how things are going.. even if its just to look back at how the car was before and after i got my hands on it :) There was a really well done rallye i think i saw on here with the T16 works decals? i'd love to have it looking something like that eventually!

More pictures of car here if interested

MiniGibbo

Looks good, needs the stickers and a set of steelies ASAP!!

rallyeash

looks tidy that. yeah needs S2 rallye steel's :)

omega

i think the wheels are okay

Sinbad

very nice car

N3VRAM

Thanks for the comments, instead of putting on the 106 steelies im going to go for the citroen c3 wheels (14") as seen here and get them powdercoated white, i think they look good and will certianly help keep the weight down as i've heard that the S2 steelies are heffers!?

what do you think?

Edited by N3VRAM

DaveW

S2 steels are nice, C5 'steel' wheels are the ones to go for if your after lightness...

Lowercase

looks great mate, yea some steel wheels and a nice polish will work wonders.

guy i work with has one of these so im looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Edited by DaSneakyGit

Josh_Quant

I do love a tidy rallye :D

I agree about the wheels to ^_^

barry d

looks great mate.nice clean rallye.

Edited by barry d

N3VRAM

After a bit of kuffufle we managed to get the cam belt done yesturday.. i bought a gates kit from ebay a few months back (belt+bearing) to do this, upon getting the old belt off we realised that the belt was the wrong size. When i looked it up on the internet i found that there was a 101 tooth'ed belt and a 108 (which i assume is because of the iron/alloy variation), this meant the belt i bought was a couple of inches longer. Anyway went down unipart and bought the right one for £15 and jobs a gooden!

Im glad i bought the kit anyway because the bearings were the same and the old one was absoloutley knackared!

Also i've now got a belt which i assume is for the alloy block i have no use for, if someone needs one of these i'd be happy to give it to them!

Matt

MattCoggins

After a bit of kuffufle we managed to get the cam belt done yesturday.. i bought a gates kit from ebay a few months back (belt+bearing) to do this, upon getting the old belt off we realised that the belt was the wrong size. When i looked it up on the internet i found that there was a 101 tooth'ed belt and a 108 (which i assume is because of the iron/alloy variation), this meant the belt i bought was a couple of inches longer. Anyway went down unipart and bought the right one for £15 and jobs a gooden!

Im glad i bought the kit anyway because the bearings were the same and the old one was absoloutley knackared!

Also i've now got a belt which i assume is for the alloy block i have no use for, if someone needs one of these i'd be happy to give it to them!

Matt

Hi Matt, ive just bought a 205 Euro Rallye that has an alloy block. The car has been stood for a few years so I would love to take the belt of your hands as I dont trust the one fitted!

Hope you can help

cheers Matt

yippeekayay

mattt we want to see pics, where did you get it from etc??? sorry to spam thread... ( I am also a moteed and to be taxed 1st feb, euro rallye owner)

MattCoggins

mattt we want to see pics, where did you get it from etc??? sorry to spam thread... ( I am also a moteed and to be taxed 1st feb, euro rallye owner)

I got the car from a guy called Ricky P who does mainly French Cars.

I dont really want to fill this thread up as its not mine so I will create a seperate one

Thanks Matt

N3VRAM

PM sent :) thinking about it though i don't think this belt will fit yours will it? im guessing youve got the original TU24 (1294cc) that came on the euro rallye as standard?

Edited by N3VRAM

N3VRAM

PM sent... thinking about it though this belt will fit yours will it? im guessing youve got the original TU24 (1294cc) that came on the euro rallye as standard?

edit again.. just seen from another thread you've bought an XS block so pm remains the same :)

N3VRAM

Quick update to this thread..

Since winter has kicked in haven't been able to get much done, the low temperature has also seemed to upset things!

I've fitted a new alternator after the bearing started to seize and make a terrible noise on the old one, 2 new starter motors! (1st one was a factory refurb), a new tyre after a blowout and some track rods (haven't been fitted yet as want to sort whole rack out). I've also put new locks in the driver and passenger doors as the key got stuck in the lock one morning and i had to put the barrel in the vice to get the key back out.

I also had a blowing exhaust so bought one of these for about 7 quid - bargain.

I noticed on the way home from work the 'clunking' noise my car makes when cornering at speed stopped and the stearing seemed to go really 'off', gave the wheels a pull once i got home and the things moved 10-15 cm in the arch!

Got it up today and:

IMG_0007-1.jpg

I'd say they're pretty shagged <_< although the balljoints feel pretty strong still, so should i recondition the current tca's with poly bushes - or just buy new OEM tca's (complete with new balljoints)? I'm thinking its probably risky if im going to see play a few k's down the road due to the balljoints?

Anyones advice/opinion would be great. Hopefully i'll be able to get some proper work done later on in the year!

eddie bullit

Lovely looking car there. Quite like the wheels TBH..makes a change fron he usual.

Josh_Quant

you can buy just the arb bush about £3 each from A.L.S. don't forget you need 4

N3VRAM

I was a bit paranoid that the balljoints were too worn in so i got some new ones today:

2.jpg

Fitted them this evening and made so much difference, car turns in much better and rattles a lot less. I also started fitting my red seatbelts pinched from a Fiat a while back, got the front two in after some minor alteration (cut the thread from the fiat seatbelts out and filed down till flush). Will take a couple of pics once i've got the rear ones in at the weekend. I know everything done is minor so far but trying to get the car reliable at the moment!

When i had the rear door cards off i noticed a bit of rust obviously related to the rust coming through near the windows seal (see pic below). I plan to cut the windows out in the summer, sort the rust out and wack some paint on and put the windows back in with some new window seals i've picked up.

IMG_0058-1.jpg

Thats all folks!

allye

You don't need to cut the windows out! I had the exact same rust. I had it sorted whilst doing the engine bay;

IMGP0039.jpg

IMGP0038.jpg

Image006.jpg

P1011217.jpg

N3VRAM

Ah i see, and bloody good job too! How did the paint show on the rest of the bodywork (was it noticeable it had been sprayed?).. so i won't bother cutting out the windows then
:)
saves me a job, thanks ali.

allye

I didn't do it, just helped. Don't trust myself doing body work! It was sprayed at a friends bodt shop using the correct paint code etc so you really can't tell its been done. Blend it into the swage lines so its less obvious if the paint match is 100%.

Paul_13

Be weary of them FirstLine track arms, they're dogs*it to put it straight. Lasted me no more than 3000 miles on the diesel.

Remind me on Friday about that rack and i'll get it sorted

N3VRAM

Hmm in that case i may get a quote down the body shop my brother works at to have it done, if i really think about it i don't know if i trust myself to let lose with the spraypaint and its something thats pretty easy to cock up, especially if its relatively cheap to have it done properly.