• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sailtek22

Another Remap On The Card!

sailtek22

hi i think this is the right area for this question if its not sorry :(

iv not long had my car mapped by alden but it does not sem to be running right and there after care service is not the best.

i just wanted to no if anyone had had any joy with northampton motorsport they seem like a good company?

just in case anyone has had the same prob my car is running really bad once it warms up, between 1500rpm and 2300 rpm it just rev & stops like a learner driver trying to pull off for the first time.

but when its cold its the sweeeetest car to drive in the world i just dred when it get to normail running temp.

any help would be nice

im running a emerald ecu and i have the mapping software so if there is any one that no's the software and wants to look at my map i would be happy to send it to them.

my engine spec is:

mi16 1.9

custom t-bodys

4-2-1 down pipe

ecu as above

is mapped at 175bhp

i have not long put irridium plugs in might put the standard ngk in as a friend said they might not be the best for the engine (not 100% on that as they were mapped with them in but worth a try)

feb

What are the symptoms between 1500 and 2300 rpm?

Does it do it on both light throttle and hard acceleration between those revs?

Do you have a wideband fitted?

What were the ambient temperatures when the car was mapped?

Edited by feb

sailtek22

What are the symptoms between 1500 and 2300 rpm?

Does it do it on both light throttle and hard acceleration between those revs?

Do you have a wideband fitted?

What were the ambient temperatures when the car was mapped?

it only does it on light throttle on hard acceleration its fine

i do have a wide band it jump around to 15, 20, 18,15,18,16 then 14,9 after it passes 2300rpm 2500rpm then all the way to 6500rpm its bang on.

as for the temp i could not tell you what it was like when mapped as they dont let you watch it when they do it so i just dropped it off and picked it up later.

the symptoms are errrrrrrrr a bit like when you forget to put the choke in on a old car and its has no power and revs and stops. rev and stops.

feb

Does this only happen at the revs between 1,500 and 2,300?

It seems that it is too lean around those areas and needs enrichening.

I have found that with the cold weather (ambient 1-3C) I needed to enrichen mine about 2-3% as I had the same symptoms at light throttle from 2,500 to 4,000rpm but only on very light throttle.

It is strange that it is fine when the engine is cold though as I would have expected it needs even more fuel when cold.

Edited by feb

Miles

Give Emerald a call and see who they recommend in the area, I know a map NM did on a mates car was not that great but that a while ago so things may have changed

sailtek22

ok i could try that they were help ful when i ordered my map switch from them. thanks

feb

Try Richard Bulmer at Tracktive solutions in Melton Mowbray (ex-WRC mechanic), he is very experienced with mapping (both aftermarket and OE ECUs), he has mapped my Forester Sti and has done a great job.

http://www.tracktive.co.uk/

Tell him you got his details from Fivos.

sailtek22

i was going to go there when i had my scoobi but could not get it bookin on time so ended up going to golly green monster (simon) in surry was there all of 38 mins cost £750 but he done a super job i got 311.9bhp and never had a problem not once.

sailtek22

in contrast paid for two hours of road time for my pug and its lasted all of two three weeks lol :angry:

welshpug

two hours?!

Sandy was mapping dan's standard gti6 with jenveys for quite a bit longer than that!

feb

It's two different things mapping an OE ECU as quite a few safety/compensation, start up maps remain untouched and there are so many Subarus that chances are the mapper will have a pretty good startup map to start with whereas with an aftermarket ECU the mapper has to do everything from scratch.

2h does sounds very short though unless he had a map from an almost identical car, when Sandy mapped mine he spent longer than 8h in order to finetune light throttle driveability.

Edited by feb

brumster

I'm not far from you, if you wanted to pop over at the weekend and we'll take a look if there's anything obvious?

sailtek22

I'm not far from you, if you wanted to pop over at the weekend and we'll take a look if there's anything obvious?

thanks thats nice of you. if you pm what time and day is good for you and ill see if i can get the time off work :rolleyes:

sailtek22

i do agree that 2 hours was to little time but it was mapped from b4 i had the car so i guess they just did a tweek, but i was not happy with the way the were from the start they dont let you watch the car being mapped, then they ask you what do you want doing at the desk write it on a card and thats it you dont even get to see or meet the mapper that is doing the car :wacko: .

the guy on the desk just wrote on my card check running right customer unhappy with pull off power. lollololol joke place

welshpug

I have heard quite a few mappers prefer not to have the customer hanging around watching.

Tom Fenton

I have heard quite a few mappers prefer not to have the customer hanging around watching.

Not that I would like that if I was having my own car mapped, but I can see that point of view- you are paying for their service, so you need really to accept that they know what they are doing, and leave them to get on with it.

Simes

I'm running a similar set up to you except for some different cams and GTI-6 inlet.

I'll ignore the cold start as I've never bothered too much with that.

Mines been mapped my JKM and Emerald and neither has sorted the problem that I have.

Once up to temp. the idle is irratic and like you when the revs drop it cannot cope and stalls. I can stall it on the motorway at speed by simply engaging the clutch. It cuts out at junctions and is incredibly annoying.

I've fixed it by simply unplugging the ICV.

Runs nicely - starts in all weathers and no idle problem.

feb

Why would an ICV mess things up in warm idle/running though?

Is it not easy to control it via the Emerald?

Edited by feb

Tom Fenton

Which idle valve are we talking about? The Mi16 type valve is a PITA to control with an aftermarket ECU because of how the spool inside is configured.

feb

Which ICV is recommended to fit to an Emerald?

pugpete1108

i plan on fitting a 3 wire bosch valve on my ms setup as i understand its the easiest to control, wouldnt like to say if that was correct for emerald tho. might even be it can run a stepper motor (gti6?) ?

surely dave walker can advise?

Simes

Which idle valve are we talking about? The Mi16 type valve is a PITA to control with an aftermarket ECU because of how the spool inside is configured.

Mi16 valve.

Interesting, never really considered that. We just went for that one as I'm led to be believe it's better than the stepper motor.

It will all go anyway once the TB'd are on.

TBH - it runs brilliantly, cold starts, idle everything.

I just plug it in for the MOT

I think Cameron has some thoughts on this - he's running one from of some sort of Rover type car.

Edited by Simes

Anthony

Emerald supports two types of ICV - 2 wire PWM (eg Mi16) and 5 wire stepper motor (eg K-Series)

Miles

The 2 wire control is rubbish as I have found out, The V6 I have is the same but again it's now set up to run without it,