• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mhyphenl

Speedo Cables

mhyphenl

I want to renew the speedo cable on my Gti, mine has badly freyed showing the metal outer and it gitters when driving. The final drive unit has been renewed during my gearbox refurb. Problem is the local car parts places don't seem to be able to get them and Fleece bay only have non Gti ones, anyone got any ideas??

welshpug

rhd ones are all the same.

6123c5 1100 long £24.11

damien

isnt the 405 one longer? so that it isnt so close to the manifold

welshpug

yup

Tom Fenton

Beware that most of the pattern ones are for the non-GTI with the MA box and are not long enough to fit the GTI.

Anthony

I thought that the shorter ones were for LHD cars Tom?

mhyphenl

Beware that most of the pattern ones are for the non-GTI with the MA box and are not long enough to fit the GTI.

To be honest £25 ish is no too bad at all for OE so I'm going for that I think! 1100mm rather than 850mm for the Gti as far as i can tell as stated before!

allye

People only use 405 ones for MI's or 6 engined cars don't they? I'v got a spare new 900mm one is the shed because it was too short! <_<

damien

i take it you would need the 405mi16 speedo cable? or are they all the same across the 405 range?

allye

I just bought a random 405 one from ebay! Surely all the diesels had BE gerabox's though.

chipstick

I retained the standard GTi one on my GTi6 conversion. Cable tie to pull it away from the manifold and its fine.

Anthony

I just bought a random 405 one from ebay! Surely all the diesels had BE gerabox's though.

AFAIK all UK manual 405's had a BE gearbox, or certainly any that you're likely to find. All diesel models certainly did.

(there was in theory a 405 1.4 which I assume was MA, but I've never seen one in this country so not sure if they were ever sold here)

welshpug

indeed there was a 1360 TU wirh MA gearbox, likely to be extremely rare.

mhyphenl

Sorry to drag an old topic up but it is related to the same situation!

Fitted the speedo cable months ago, over time completed the rest of the car! :lol: but went for a test drive and the speedo doesn't work!! :angry:

firstly I thought it might not have been pushed into the final drive properly but it is. Removed the cowling and checked behind the clocks to make sure the cable was fully located. Again Fine! Removed the clocks and briefly drove to make sure the centre of the cable goes round, it does. Put my finger in it to see if it stopped with resistance, again fine! Rotated the square hole in the back of the speedo itself to see if it moved the needle, again it moves fine. Put it all back together keeping the cowling off to ensure everything was still located and still not working!! The only thing I noticed is that the square central bit of the cable that rotates looked a bit on the small side compared to the hole in the back of the speedo!! Anyone else seen this ??

mhyphenl

Obviously stumped everyone there! I eventually got enough time on this and found the problem. In fixing a broken mileage counter, (the bit you reset, can't remember the right word :) I'd pushed the speedo needle on too hard and it was caught on the dial face! :blush:

Sign in to follow this