• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

qwerty

[trackday_prep] 205 Mi16 With A Track/hill Climb Future

qwerty

Ive wanted to start my own project topic for some time now, truth is i cant ever find the time, until now as am stuck in with man flue :lol:

apologies in advance for my text and explanation of things, lets just say its not a strong point of mine, so I'll be using lots of pics it its place :D

Peugeot Project

205 Gti 1.9 Mi16

Bought-

21st February 2004

Paid-

£825

Spec-

Standard 205 1.9gti apart from

Koni suspension and rear beam lowered (two splines)

1991 405 1.9 Mi16 engine and gearbox

Mi16 ECU

Momo race steering wheel and gear knob

Guttmann rear spoiler

iPhone735.jpg

Bad points-

missing red trim (pic)

crunching in 3rd gear

6x9 holes in parcel shelf

Chicken mesh front valence

Rusty o/s wing

And a hole load of other bits and pieces that I’ll sort it the future

SonyPicture009.jpg

The car was bought as a cheap fun daily runabout to replace my 2yr old Audi A4 se sport 115 tdi

LastScan.jpg

Tidied the car up and dealt with much of the bad points from above, as I was also using the car daily to commute it was doing about 350miles a week so lots of little things kept coming up and needing replaced, things like starter motor, water pipes, linkages, dodgy wiring etc

SonyPicture046.jpg

SonyPicture045.jpg

Had it put on the rolling road at McDonald Racing to get a bit of an idea of how well it was running

iPhone740.jpg

I finally got round to getting myself down to Santa pod for the retro cars show and to have a bit play in the Mi on the ¼ mile strip, my best time of 15.8sec was maybe a bit poor

ThePod014.jpg

ThePod021.jpg

On the way home the mi16 gearbox which still had the crunchy 3rd finally gave up, my mate had to hold it in 5th half way bk (about 130miles) then I lost 5th and 3rd and did the next 170miles in 4th

Got back and went in search of a complete 205 1.6 gti for the box and few other bits, after couple of days I found one with knackered bottom end for the sum of £300

mini013.jpg

lots more to come

qwerty

Jumping forwards maybe a year or so while on my way to work the car dipped in power as I went to pull away at a junction and started Knocking badly, I assumed the worst and started looking for some one to rebuild the bottom end :(

I found a standard 1.9 with mot n tax for £650

DSC00473.jpg

just to get me by while I looked for someone to carry out the work on the Mi

Des-developments were my choice and so they came all the way up country and collected the car, after replacing the shell bearings they put it back together and it was no better lol so the head came off only to discover a small bolt in one of the pots, Neil of des-developments said the valves where in a real state and took him some time to clean up. I also had a full set of uprated engine mounts fitted while it was there.

Car feels 110% now after its work over at des-developments

About a month or so later I had a phone call off Neil of des-developments to say I need to check the butterfly on the throttle body because that’d be where the bolt came from that he found in one of the cylinders

205.jpg

I managed to fit in another trip to the retro car show at the pod, my ¼ mile times were embarrassing because the ball on top of the sub frame had come loose and made it really difficult to get from 2nd to 3rd without hitting 5th lol, but I did come 2nd on the small auto test track

DSC00969.jpg

th_MOV01032.jpg

Next job as to upgrade to 309 bones, shafts and rear beam, so started looking for a donor

Found one for £300

DSC01311-1.jpg

th_MOV01316.jpg

Now the fun started stripping it for the bits then scrap the rest

05032010298-1.jpg

qwerty

205 and 309 shaft and hub with disk and calliper

16042010476.jpg

205 and 309 beam

17042010494.jpg

before and after with 309 stuff on the car

16042010481.jpg

17042010498.jpg

17042010507.jpg

The beam needs lowering but it’s on and not seized so job for the future when I get my workshop built which is the next project to start, and it is to be done on extremely limited funds

A workshop built from bits of shed and pallets lol here’s how that went anyway

Area to be transformed

19012011327.jpg

base

05022011373.jpg

10022011392.jpg

qwerty

02042011455.jpg

Insulating

03042011458.jpg

Good strong bench for heavy things :lol:

iPhone047.jpg

Now I have somewhere to put my tools and to work

iPhone645.jpg

The plan now is to start stripping the car of all its unnecessary weight and start making it into the track and hill climb car I’ve always wanted it to be, first though I just need to make myself a quick makeshift garage for the car.

iPhone709.jpg

iPhone724.jpg

Well this almost brings me upto the current date of the project so far, I've recently done a lot of stripping the weight off the car so will have more pics up over next couple of days.

cheers

Mark.

SurGie

A nice write up :)

I managed a 15.9 quarter mile with a 2.0 MI and twin dellorto 45 carbs all set up, so 15.8 ant that bad.

Save the 309 before its too late :ph34r:

sean-G

nice workshop/garage build mate ;)

Sandy

Like the car port and shed!

qwerty

Cheers for the comments guy i really appreciate them :)

So here's a bit of an update on the work av done over the last few weeks

I took the car to a local weight bridge to get the weight of the car before i start stripping it and it came out at 880kg

this was with approx 10quids worth of fuel in it

iPhone655.jpg

iPhone651.jpg

and how it looked a bit later

iPhone669.jpg

took the door off and stripped it down, started at 23kg and its down to 10.3kg maybe a little more to come off it yet

iPhone699.jpg

also stripped the tailgate too which started at 22kg and is now down to 6.7kg maybe a bit off metal to come off from behind the plastic panel yet

iPhone733.jpg

Josh_Quant

them seats are bang tidy :D

feb

I like the workshop and garage you have made! :D

qwerty

Updates coming soon :D

Stupid 3 network has been down in the area so had no Internet for a week :angry: got lots of others ppls projects to catchup on now tho :D

qwerty

Got the sunroof and all its gubbins taken out, was really surprised by how heavy it all was, came out at just over 16kg with the headlining etc

iPhone769.jpg

iPhone768.jpg

All the dash stripped out, 19.4kg saved here

iPhone745-1.jpg

qwerty

I have a spare bonnet which I've had a go at lightening, took all the braising off and the catch on front, it started at 12.9kg and it now weighs 6.1kg :D

only it is a bit flimsy so will maybe bond some alloy angle-line to it, its just a bit of an experiment really :wacko:

iPhone762.jpg

iPhone763.jpg

iPhone764.jpg

Edited by qwerty

qwerty

Next job it to start tidying up this tatty engine-bay, cant wait to make a start on it :)

iPhone753.jpg

iPhone754.jpg

Josh_Quant

thats not a 205 rad lol

qwerty

thats not a 205 rad lol

your right :D ,and its awful, i assume its the 405 one that the engine came from , Ive got the one for the 309 that i stripped so al be making use of that one for now

qwerty

I forgot to put this pic up earlier, i wanted to ask if anyone els had done this and seen any performance gains or is it just a bad idea?

DSC00822.jpg

DSC00825.jpg

Edited by qwerty

guffe

I forgot to put this pic up earlier, i wanted to ask if anyone els had done this and seen any performance gains or is it just a bad idea?

Btdt, don't know if there were any difference in performance. But loud = power, so louder == more power

;)

p1234

Decent weight saving on the bonnet, you reckon you can strengthen it up enough?

davey sprocket

I've got to ask.... what the hell is that thing mounted on the tunnel next to the gear lever??? :ph34r:

Liquid_106

Anchor point for a gearlock by the looks of it

truck-gear.jpg

Edited by Liquid_106

davey sprocket

Anchor point for a gearlock by the looks of it

Oh, right. What a monstrosity!

No offence to the OP if he fitted it but that would have been at the top of my drastic weight reduction list!

qwerty

Oh, right. What a monstrosity!

No offence to the OP if he fitted it but that would have been at the top of my drastic weight reduction list!

lol yeah its the multi-lock :D

i cant decide whether to loose it or not, but my thoughts where its just a little simple quick bit of security, and I'm fond of that coz I'm super paranoid about someone just driving off in it at shows etc

I'll weigh it and decide from there :lol:

The bonnet is very week but once its one the car and buttened down I'll know better whether i need to strengthen it a bit

Josh_Quant

I got a full sportex system of ebay from 2.0 m16 downpipe 50mm or 56mm all the way through and backbox with 3 inch exit thats loud but spits flames nice :D

but motorway bit of the pain in the ass as it loud for ages lol

Josh_Quant

so keep standard backbox lol