• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiniGibbo

[misc_work] Minigibbo's '93 Peugeot 205 Rallye.

MiniGibbo

Sorry for the stupidly..

But what from where..?

MiniGibbo

Found the site and what I think would be the correct plug for couple of quid... add postage and its £7..... think ill stick to my idea of cutting one off a scrapper with some length and just crimping a second hand plug on :/

Zacky-94

Cut a plug off a scrapper with about 4 inches of wire leaft on it and get you're self abit of heat shrink solder the plug onto you're loom for a permenent fix , don't bother crimping it it will cause you hastle in the future , plus they look un tidy

MiniGibbo

That's the aim. The wires won't take the solder though.. Even trying to tin them first :/

Miles

You'll need to crimp them, the wire corrodes and this is another issue with the older looms now as well

• Like 1

Anthony

... or cut back the loom far enough to give some uncorroded wire if you want to solder - be warned though, this can be 12" or more in some cases!

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

It's mad how much they deteriorate... Haven't ever noticed it on other cars of similar age, only the peugeots :/

Anthony

You think that's bad - from what I can see, that 106 loom has the later sealed connectors that are generally much better at resisting moisture and corrosion related issues compared to the woeful unsealed connectors used on 80's and early 90's era PSA cars (like 205's).

Have a look at the original 205 connectors still in the engine bay (eg the earth plugs between the radiator and headlights) and you'll see what I mean - chances are that the pins will be green with corrosion and the wiring brittle as anything. There is a special place in hell reserved for whichever bean counter insisted on that cost cutting measure given the resulting electrical woe it resulted in years down the line <_<

MiniGibbo

Yeah.. I haven't given those connectors much attention near the headlights but Miles has haha

Think he's done the indicator and horn so far.. That's after giving the loom a good going over in the first place.

205's are defiantly adventures haha

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Plug fitted and it now sounds right to my untrained ear.. Sounds just like the old engine and the idle is steady on the dials

MiniGibbo

MiniGibbo

Gearbox oil filled (surprisingly easy job actually) and final checks done.

It may idle fine but still isn't a happy boy when driven, I took it around the block and it misses like a proper little bugger :/

S1 1400 XSI ecu is soon to be brought to try.

MiniGibbo

I also have no speedo even though the cables pushed in with the rubber pin and the white plug is on :(

MiniGibbo

Speedos now working again :)

Going to try new leads today then if that doesn't help another coil pack.

MiniGibbo

Didn't bother with leads in the end as I checked the leads pre plugs are they're sparking fine.

Started looking for air leaks. Reseated the injectors and its better unload now but still missing..

Wondering if its the inlet it's self but that's an arse of a job so want to try everything else first really.....

MiniGibbo

Cars sat idle for a while now as I got bored going round and round in circles trying to solve the missfires so I dropped it off with Pugracing nearly two weeks ago now and got the result today...

80% leak on two inlet vales, being a 8v there's not much point fixing it as it would mean all new gaskets again.... So a new engine it is, this time built/fitted by someone who knows what they're doing :(

Watch this space.

Lowercase

whats the latest matt? and how did you fix your speedo by the way?

MiniGibbo

With pug racing to be fixed...

I fiddled with the speedo cable on the gearbox end and it started to work, think they need to locate properly to work 100%

MiniGibbo

Its certainly been a while since I last posted about the car, after the trouble I had with the refreshed 8v me and Miles of Pugracing came to the conclusion the only way forward was to fit a tu5j4 out of a 106 gti.

It wasn't trouble free, I had to buy a couple of engines as I managed to buy what can only be described as a scrap engine advertised as as 'like new with many new components.. once I bought a good engine though the work began.. this not being a straight swop needed work but nothing Pug Racing couldn't handle. few bumps along the journey but im glad we done the conversion as its transformed the car.

the spec of the car now is

1600 16v single plug TU5j4

TU5JP4 rocker covers

S1 106 Rallye gearbox

BBM group N engine mounts

BBM group N gearbox mounts

BBM group A lower fork bush

Custom Ashley 421 exhaust manifold

Cold air ram and Induction cone

Straight through Race centre tube

OMP Group N backbox

Pug Racing gear linkages

The car aside from the engine needed three new wheel bearings and gear linkages, then was realigned. It drives completely different now, ive only done around 40 miles in the car so far but I cant feel the extra weight over the wheels from the 16v people say about.. all in all.. money defiantly well spent :)

DSCF7927_zps9cc63ba5.jpg

DSCF7928_zps36987de9.jpg

DSCF7929_zpsf11963db.jpg

DSCF7930_zps59bccbbb.jpg

DSCF7931_zpsce6ec6d1.jpg

DSCF7932_zpsb8b3d119.jpg

DSCF7933_zpsad3a8f8f.jpg

DSCF7934_zps41e2fc68.jpg

DSCF7935_zps519abc05.jpg

DSCF7936_zps778c0bca.jpg

• Like 1

jackherer

Looks tidy, but you need to update your sig again now :P

MiniGibbo

Thanks, done it :)

Reebmit

Hi Matt, chatted to you at Miles the other day, discussing bonnet etc..... good to see you have it running, looks great :)

• Like 1

allye

Looks fantastic, I'm sure miles did a great job.

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

@reebmit, yeah I remember :)

Yeah it's a completely different car now :) it was good before but it's been transformed