• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiniGibbo

[misc_work] Minigibbo's '93 Peugeot 205 Rallye.

MiniGibbo

I really want arches but then I also really like the lines of the base model :/

Lowercase

know what you mean mate lol. i have a set of arches in the garage, cant decide whether to go euro spec or not lol the euro spec looks less 'racecar' to me for some reason....

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Had the car weighed this morning, as I always do..

Full tank upto the filler neck

Same weighbridge as usual

Came in at bang on 800kg which from my other thread comes to the conclusion fuel is around 35kg so say 30kg fuel out leaving enough for a couple hot laps on any uk circuit. Leaves me at 770kg which with my 100hp (could argue more with breathing mods) at 130horse power per tonne.

Bang on with a 106gti/Saxo vts.. Fair enough :)

• Like 1

Lowercase

weight of powerlifting driver....

• Like 2

MiniGibbo

I always get rinsed on the BMW forums about this haha

I've gone up a weight class this year so since November I've packed on nearly 10kg haha

MiniGibbo

Went to castle combe yesterday for the spring action day, this was my second year and yeah its a quiet show but I enjoy the mix of cars and its an excuse to have a quick blast on track haha

As my other project is still away I took the 205 and used it as a final send off for the 1300 alloy engine :D Ive been driving the car a lot lately and its been faultless.. pure smiles per miles..

I went out for a single slot on track as I really enjoy combe and the car didn't disappoint.. yeah everything over took me down the straights and its a full road set up so the tyres, 'soft suspension and oem brakes slowly give up but the balance of the car and the way it took the corners really really impressed me..!!

Id love to see how a well set up 205 could take the track..!!

few shots the girlfriend got as I passed

DSCF6840_zps795e882b.jpg

DSCF6847_zps50011570.jpg

DSCF6852_zpsc1d6106a.jpg

And a quick drive by in the crowd

We came home past a route I took for over a year coming home from work and always wanted to photograph.. quick shot with the 205 :D

DSCF6868_zpsf4d49433.jpg

Which leaves me with throwing the timing belt on the 1400 and starting the engine strip after breakfast today..!!!!

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Started off finishing off the XSI engine this morning, new water pump and tensioner..

old vs new

SAM_0421_zpsbed91801.jpg

Then fitted, I tried to fit the back belt cover that has to go on before the alternator pulley but for the life of me cant get it any of them to fit... im wondering if the set Ive kept for this engine didn't come with the engine but my old XS engine and they differ in mounting..?

but either way new shiny bits fitted without the new belt

SAM_0422_zpsf5bbcb5c.jpg

Right after that, down to real business and I started taking the car apart with care... With trim and the rad out the way, out come the white tape and permanent marker to label absolutely everything haha

SAM_0424_zps212455e3.jpg

SAM_0423_zpscfcd2a97.jpg

All went pretty well, came to conclusion the the inlet will need to come off so I can properly access the loom behind the block, had the injectors out to see they've been sealed with what looks like bathroom silicone.. guessing this is because they leaked..??

SAM_0426_zps0ddfc29d.jpg

How should they be sealed properly..?

Also blocked off the fuel lines as I guessing this is a good idea while its in bits..??

SAM_0425_zpsc432b7a5.jpg

Got the inlet ready to come off sensor wise but got stuck with the throttle cable.. have no idea how to remove it...?????

MiniGibbo

bit more progress on the car today, got all the loom labelled and off the engine,

SAM_0433_zps0bc0a6d1.jpg

Got stuck again though.. I don't know how to remove

Cutch cable

Speedo cable

Gear linkages..

Advice please..

welshpug

baffled how you got this far if you cannot figure those out, you don't need any tools for two of them even :P

throttle cable unhooks, speedo cable you pull the rubber wotsit out then pull upwards, clutch cable just slacken it off and lift out of the clutch arm and push the rubber grommit out of the bracket, unhook off pedal and pull grommit out of bulkhead.

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Slow and steady haha.. I've learnt more about 205's in the few hours I've spent doing this than I have in the entire ownership of the car haha

MiniGibbo

Put another hour into the car today and the engine is nearly ready to come out. started looking at swopping stuff from the rallye lump to the XSI lump and come to my first hurdle...

The rallye has a oil cooler and the XSI dosent... I thought it would just unscrew off the rallye and onto the XSI but they differ..? am I being simple or wont the cooler fit my new lump..?

Rallye

SAM_0434_zps6963c0dd.jpg

XSI

SAM_0435_zps98afb138.jpg

advice..?

welshpug

Itll fit fine, you need to remove that short threaded piece

MiniGibbo

And done..

SAM_0451_zps292a6200.jpg

Also got the drive shafts out so it is now literally unbolt the mounts and its out :D

MiniGibbo

Well today is the day..!

SAM_0452_zpsdddb898e.jpg

Decided to take it out the bottom and it was going really well until I craned the car higher to remove the engine from underneath and the engine fell over.. it only broke this pipe though thankfully which is a removable part..

SAM_0453_zps4ac35903.jpg

and out :D

SAM_0454_zps26f4b4cc.jpg

Got my detailing work cut out for me :/

SAM_0455_zps2135f5e1.jpg

Visually compared the engines for the first time to come across my first problem... the alloy engine has a (now broken) external water pump but the cast engine doesn't and I don't have what ever bolts to the block :(

SAM_0456_zps677f9111.jpg

SAM_0457_zpsfd11e5c9.jpg

Advice..?????

Anyway though, carried on and had the box off,

SAM_0458_zpsa4b021a7.jpg

And a quick finally shot of them together,

SAM_0459_zps15dec625.jpg

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

As im struggling to locate the bits I need I thought id turn my attention to the bay.. it was clean'ish but not upto par so out came the snow....

SAM_0460_zpsfc6e66f7.jpg

SAM_0461_zps03312f99.jpg

After some scrubbing and a rinse,

SAM_0462_zpsbedd16cd.jpg

SAM_0463_zps0a1781ef.jpg

terrible lighting which gave rubbish photos I know :( the finish in person though did put a smile back on my face until I turned around to see the engines again at least..

MiniGibbo

Good friend of mine fitted my Grp A fork bush for me this week,

SAM_0473_zps892eec86.jpg

Some people dislike stiff bushes but I run them in other cars of mine and personally love the added feel and reassurance they give :)

• Like 1

jonXS

^^ Me love bush :) :)

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Thanks, got a box of bits this morning so got them fitted this afternoon..!

SAM_0498_zpsa5979bcb.jpg

SAM_0500_zps302d7330.jpg

Starting to look like an engine..!!

then fancied doing a bit more on the car so fitted the bbm engine mounts, new vs old

SAM_0499_zpsff6a27d5.jpg

Next up im waiting for a complete cam belt cover set to arrive and I can fit the belt then look to put the engine in :D

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Few new bits this week, Brand spanking dipstick a both of mine have seen better days

SAM_0515_zps053c7279.jpg

Also have eight injector O rings on order at £3.08 each #cringe

Got the timing belt on, engine manually lovely.. nice and smooth..!

SAM_0516_zps16fd3b5f.jpg

Followed by a new set of covers

SAM_0518_zps96a86184.jpg

Then the alternator off the 1300

SAM_0519_zps39626886.jpg

or some reason no one local has normal spark plugs in stock so I had to bite the bullet and buy "performance" plugs :/

SAM_0520_zps2f0072aa.jpg

Stuck a few more plates and sensors on the engine and ended up looking like this for today..!

SAM_0524_zps531247ec.jpg

Once the rocker cover is painted itll be ready to go in..!

MiniGibbo

Continued today,

Fresh rocker cover and new rubber gasket

SAM_0525_zps54a5843c.jpg

Which allowed me to finish off the coil pack and leads

SAM_0526_zps4cb42315.jpg

Ahhhhh here we go again

SAM_0527_zps8c362248.jpg

until I went to stick the clutch on and realised Im kidding my self thinking id get away without a alignment tool haha

Not long now :D

Lowercase

you dont need a tool. just jiggle it. we did mine on the floor without a craine

poof :P

dcc

I think I used a 1/2 extension bar to fit my clutch! :) - then saw the clutch tool I had years ago in one of my 'spares' tubs :D

welshpug

as above! bit of tape wound around the shaft to make it fit snugly in the friction plate.

you can also see the edge of the friction plate around the sides, match it up here before fully tightening the pressure plate bolts, thankfully the MA box is quite light so its no big deal if you have to jiggle it about a bit.

• Like 1

jonXS

I used the end of a broomstick, shaved down to fit snugly. Its worked everytime for me :)

looking good though

MiniGibbo

Thanks for the tips guys.. I went out and bought a kit earlier though before reading this haha