• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiniGibbo

[misc_work] Minigibbo's '93 Peugeot 205 Rallye.

MiniGibbo

Picked this up from Barnstable, Devon on saturday 10/09/11. Its a 93' Peugeot 205 Rallye in yellow. This is what i found on them when i had a quick search on wiki..

"From 1988 to 1992 Peugeot produced another variant of the 205, the 205 Rallye, which was engineered and produced by Peugeot-Talbot sport. This edition of the 205 was positioned as a cost effective alternative to the 205 GTI, retaining its sporty character, but being less expensive to buy or maintain.

To achieve this, Peugeot used a derivative of the TU-series engine used in the post-1987 205s, which was designated TU24. The engine is essentially the same engine as was in the 1.1-litre 205 with the cylinders bored out to a total engine displacement of 1294 cc, a sports camshaft and twin Weber carburetors. While only a 1.3-litre engine, it still produced 103 PS (76 kW; 102 hp) at no less than 6800 rpm. The car got the 1.6 GTI front suspension with ventilated brake discs, and the 1.6 GTI rear axle with drum brakes.

The 205 Rallye was completely stripped of almost all soundproofing, electrical systems or other luxury items, bringing down the weight to no more than 794 kg (1,750 lb). Its minimalistic equipment, together with the high revs needed to unleash all of the engine's horsepower gives the 205 Rallye a very spartan character and makes it a difficult but rewarding car to drive hard, which is one of the reasons it is now very popular among 205 GTI enthusiasts. Around 30,000 Rallyes were produced, and they were only sold in some countries on the European mainland (at least in France, Belgium, Spain and The Netherlands). This, together with the fact that a lot of these cars have been wrecked because it is a difficult (and for some drivers even dangerous) car to drive makes the 205 Rallye a very rare car nowadays. It is almost impossible to buy one in good shape anymore because Rallye owners now tend to hold on to their cars, knowing it will be a classic in the not-too-distant future."

This car however does not have the Twin carb'ed lump, A previous owner took it upon him self to throw that in the bin and "shoe horn" the massive S1 1300 106 Rallye engine in, basicully the same but with injection and another 25hp bringing the total upto 100hp which in a sub 800kg car and good chassis does make for a good spirited drive!!

I bought it blind not knowing a lot about Rallye's and basicully nothing about 205's in general.. To say this will be a learning curve may be a massive understatment :P

The car its self has 138k with very little service history consisting of the "green slip" and the two previous MOT's. Im not too worried as the shell looks to be in excelent condition with no obvious signs of welding or major rust and its obviously not the original engine.

Some pictures, starting with the drive home then some detialed shots before i touched the car at all not even a clean..

Standard issue driving home shot, sat behind my cars van..

SDC10211-1.jpg

And more inportantly the spec of the car!!

Exterior

Stubby arieal

Chassic

S2 106 Rallye steel's wrapped in 185/55 Toyo Proxie CF1's

Apex 25mm springs

Bilstein dampers

206 GTI front brakes with green stuff pads

Engine

S1 106 Rallye 1300 injection engine

S1 106 Rallye gearbox

205 GTI fuel tank

Solid Lower engine mount

Custom oil catch tank

Custom air filter

Interior

Recaro half leather recliners.

The car also had a new timing belt and full fliuid service not long ago, The gearbox has been fully rebuilt using new syncros and a new second gear..

The car has also been treated to new copper brake lines and fuel lines, which look recent given their "shinney'ness"

The car is not without fault though...

The rev counter dosent work unless the blowers on full.

The lights dont work on the dash (making night driving interesting)

As it stands i have no plans for the car apart from cleaning it, fueling it up and driving it :cool:

MiniGibbo

And some shots when i got it home.. before i took it out to the forest to see how it really drove

SDC10213-1.jpg

SDC10214-1.jpg

SDC10215-1.jpg

SDC10216-1.jpg

SDC10217-1.jpg

SDC10222.jpg

SDC10219.jpg

SDC10218.jpg

SDC10229.jpg

SDC10230-1.jpg

custard-rallye

i was looking at this on ebay looks cool i was tempted to put a bid in

allye

Saw this advertised the other day. Originally it would have come with a 75hp iron blok tu3m 1360cc because it's uk spec not the 1,3 Ali block twin weber 105hp engine tu24?! As per the euro rallyes. That s1 rallye engine is a cracking motor and well suited to the rallye ethos and very tunable, quite an upgrade over the original! Good luck with it.

MiniGibbo

The interior

SDC10223.jpg

SDC10224.jpg

SDC10225.jpg

SDC10226-1.jpg

SDC10227-1.jpg

SDC10228.jpg

MiniGibbo

i was looking at this on ebay looks cool i was tempted to put a bid in

Thanks, i was after a s1 106 Rallye for months but soon as this came up on the register i had to have it ;)

Saw this advertised the other day. Originally it would have come with a 75hp iron blok tu3m 1360cc because it's uk spec not the 1,3 Ali block twin weber 105hp engine tu24?! As per the euro rallyes. That s1 rallye engine is a cracking motor and well suited to the rallye ethos and very tunable, quite an upgrade over the original! Good luck with it.

Cheers, any advice or knowledge is greatly appretiated as i know nothing about them.

Ive spoke to the previous owner and he assures me the S1 106 ecu was fitted and the rev counter may be "out of tune" as it hits the limiter at 6k on the dials rather than the 7.5k it should..

MiniGibbo

And some of the engine bay, i took detailed shots of most things to see if anyone could notice anything i havent picked up on or if something looks out of place or untoward..

SDC10231-1.jpg

SDC10232.jpg

SDC10233-1.jpg

SDC10234.jpg

SDC10235.jpg

SDC10236.jpg

SDC10237.jpg

SDC10238.jpg

allye

Yer those rev counters are horrible inaccurate

MiniGibbo

realy? that'll probaly explain it then..

backroadpug

Nice to see another yellow rallye on the forum.

cracking we cars Enjoy.

allye

Cheers, any advice or knowledge is greatly appretiated as i know nothing about them.

The yellow ones are rarer with only 250 coming to the uk compared to the 500 in White. Considered bit of a wet lettuce in comparison due to the engine, breaks etc but like it or not one of the rarest 205's on the road with only 65 left on the road!

Batfink

to be honest they handle better than the gti's due to the weight distribution. I loved my Rallye. Ultimately they dont have the same level of grip but they are serious fun despite having an engine that could not pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Edited by Batfink

Tandoh

they are serious fun despite having an engine that could not pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Haha that made me chuckle ^_^

I was also really tempted to buy it! Love the idea of a 1.3 s1 engine in a 205 :)

backroadpug

I love the saying- it doesnt have enough power to pull a jonny of a biro pen.lol

Andy_C

Same minigibbo as the chap on e36coupe.com?

Nice find that - well done :)

MiniGibbo

Nice to see another yellow rallye on the forum.

cracking we cars Enjoy.

Cheers, ill have a look see if i can find your journal!

The yellow ones are rarer with only 250 coming to the uk compared to the 500 in White. Considered bit of a wet lettuce in comparison due to the engine, breaks etc but like it or not one of the rarest 205's on the road with only 65 left on the road!

Thanks, good thing mine has the injection engine and 266mm brakes then i suppose lol.

to be honest they handle better than the gti's due to the weight distribution. I loved my Rallye. Ultimately they dont have the same level of grip but they are serious fun despite having an engine that could not pull the skin off a rice pudding.

I was expecting a lot in the terms of handling with this car but tbh was shocked how well it does grip.. the previous owner told me it has apex lowering springs and bilstein dampers but what spec they are i have no idea? or anything about the chassis set up in general lol..

I plan to get loads of detailed photos so you guys can tell me exactully what i have an havent got.

Haha that made me chuckle ^_^

I was also really tempted to buy it! Love the idea of a 1.3 s1 engine in a 205 :)

Cheers, the ebay ad had loads of watchers but no bidders.. soon as i saw it though i knew i had to have it :)

I love the saying- it doesnt have enough power to pull a jonny of a biro pen.lol

Its not fast but it puts a smile on my face :D

Same minigibbo as the chap on e36coupe.com?

Nice find that - well done :)

It is indeed dude, i stuck a thead in the "offtopic" on there too. whats your username?

Went to a local meet and some nando's with some guys off saxp on sunday, heres how the shots of mine came out!!

IMG_4768.jpg

IMG_4833.jpg

IMG_4868.jpg

• Like 1

Anthony

I've long thought that a S1 106 Rallye engine and box would be great in a 205, but I've got to say that from what I can tell in those pictures, that conversion looks to be quite poorly done and would benefit from being properly tidyied up and everything fitted and secured in a much more OE fashion.

Certainly I would expect that to fall foul of next years MOT regulations, and besides that, there's various elements that look somewhat dubious from both a reliability and safety point of view, and that's only what's visible in the photos - like most 205's, there's bound to be other issues lurking out of sight. Certainly there's lots of wiring that needs to be tidied and secured, the fuel lines and especially filter don't look too clever, and that fuel pump relay rattling around behind the headlight is a breakdown waiting to happen (and the ECU mounting appears less than impressive too). Can't quite work out what's going on with the inlet pipe - is that just taped in place?

Car certainly has a lot of potential though :)

MiniGibbo

Fair enough, obviously i took a risk knowing nothing about 205's when i bought the car so couldnt see what was out of place to say..

i knew the fuel filter shouldnt be their nor the ecu as its being held in place with a big zip tie lol, the inlet grinds my gears but theyres not a lot you can do given its angle unless i moved the battery (which is an idea). I plan to fix al lthe little niggles over time and make the car the best it can be :)

Im going to leave the car as is until new year and think over my plans of where i want to go with the car in the long run.

My current idea is to find a specalist i can trust that i can drop the car off too with the instruction to "tidy it up", sounds easy in theory but im farily new to the french scene so have no idea where to take the car?

Im busy this weekend taking another car of mine to Players but the weekend following im going to "spruce" up the bay and as i said above work my way threw all the earthing points i can find cleaning them and soldering any crimped wires i can find.

MiniGibbo

Washed the car last week before the meet to see what the paint was actually like under all the dirt and its not too bad actully.. The rear quaters are both different shades to the rest of the car which would mean one of a few things being rust/damage repairs. Another theory being where the rear stickers where removed it pulled some laquer off which has meant the paints faded..

There dosent seem to be any filler or at least thick filler on either rear quater

but i found some signs of paint on the boot seal both sides implying indeed the rear quaters have been sprayed unsucessfully at some point.

Snow foamed up

SDC10244.jpg

SDC10245.jpg

SDC10246.jpg

And the spray marks..

SDC10248.jpg

SDC10249.jpg

Lan

I love yellow 205's with some tidying up especially under the bonnet it will be a very sweet motor, and that 1.3 engine is a perfect conversion for the 205, looking forward to seeing the progress

MiniGibbo

Thanks dude!

Started the "tidying up the bay" today.

First problem was the osf indicator wasnt working, blown bulb being the culprit or at least that whats youd think.. pulled it out to find a new looking bulb. After a better look i spotted the wire had been cut at some point and crimped back together.

Before

SDC10479-1.jpg

Soldered and shrink wrapped.

SDC10480-1.jpg

Job done! Next i started looking over the conversion looking for anything out of place which didnt take long tbh lol..

Anyone know what this is and where it "should" be fixed or a tip for wheres a good place on the 205.

SDC10481-1.jpg

And then this, its labled "carbon" but obviously dosent go anywhere?

SDC10482-1.jpg

Kept working my way over and come to the dreaded bodge of the inlet.. on the coil pack i spotted this plug which has had wires spliced onto it for some reason, being taped up i dug a little deeper to see they could be fitted better..

This is what i found when i removed the tape on one

SDC10484-1.jpg

Was curious as to what they where so gave them a tug and traced them both to dead ends :S

SDC10487-1.jpg

I saw no point in them staying and havent a clue what theyre for so they where removed and the exposed wires wrapped. i also noticed on closer inspection the plug has seen a better day so may try and find a replacement but fixed it up for time being.

SDC10491.jpg

Job done, Next up was this its labled "map" and has a tube going to the inlet but im sure it shouldnt be mounted here..

SDC10494.jpg

Once again i dont know what it is or where it goes..

Then finally come across this while eyeing up the fuel filter and was shocked tbh..

SDC10492-1.jpg

SDC10493.jpg

At a guess im thinking its a s1 top mount thats been ground down to fit a 16v, however its cracked so that needs to be changed asap.

opinions and comments welcome!

Wallby

I think thats a standard 205 TU mount that has been cut away so that the 106 rallye inlet will fit in.

It might be worth getting another 205 mount and seeing if it will squeeze in and if not take a little bit off it, but not that much!

Anthony

Told you that it had the look of a poorly done conversion... I have no idea how people put things together like that and think that it's a job well done <_<

Anyone know what this is and where it "should" be fixed or a tip for wheres a good place on the 205.

That's the relay that provides power to the fuel pump, injectors etc - there isn't one there as standard, so you'll just have to find someone senisble to mount it where it's away from the elements and isn't going to rattle around

And then this, its labled "carbon" but obviously dosent go anywhere?

Carbon canister valve, for emissions based nonsense basically. You will probably have a stored fault code on the ECU without it plugged in, but won't affect running at all (assuming that it's been blocked up where the pipe would have connected to the inlet orignially - if it starts and idles fine then it likely has been.

Job done, Next up was this its labled "map" and has a tube going to the inlet but im sure it shouldnt be mounted here..

Once again i dont know what it is or where it goes..

That's the MAP sensor which the ECU uses to work out the load on the engine and how much fuel to inject - again, it's not there on the original 205 engine, so you'll just have to find somewhere sensible to properly mount it.

MiniGibbo

Thanks guys,

I wondered if the mount had been cut to fit the inlet but it looks to have loads of space so the cut out isnt nessary, which is why i guessed it may be a s1 mount cut to fit a 16v?

Will a S1 106 not fit? only asking as theyre bound to be easier to come by second hand or is theyre many 205 tu's ones knocking about??

Ill find somewhere sensible to zip tie that relay out of the way, im guessing behind the engine will be good for keeping the elements out?

And yes thankfully the car does start and idle fine, its a little lumpy but then arnt they all lol..

Their is that age old saying of "never by a car with an engine conversion" but i will make this car a gem ;)

MiniGibbo

Started this weekend giving into the cleaning whore inside and gave the interior a good hoover and all the plastics a clean then wipe over with some jizz..

Id like to of removed all the seats and shampoo'd the carpet properly but i just can work out how to remove the bloody things :rage: for a "quick" once over its come up well

SDC10500-1.jpg

SDC10499-1.jpg

SDC10501-1.jpg

I also gave the boot a wipe over

SDC10495.jpg

I was pleasntly suprised that itll still shine and only shows very minimal surface rust

I gave them some "poor boys natural look" but they didnt come out much better..

Then this morning I cracked on getting the car in the air,

SDC10505-1.jpg

With the intention of 'slipping the brakes as they sqeal like a pig and cleaning the arches, The brake i got stuck on as some of you may have seen by my other thread but cracked on with the cleaning anyway!!

As i started on the first wheel and more precisely the OSF i noticed this....

SDC10508-1.jpg

God knows how to change one of them but itll be added to the "to do list"..

After OSF

SDC10510-1.jpg

After NSF

SDC10515-1.jpg

After NSR

SDC10514-1.jpg

After OSR

SDC10520-1.jpg

The arches over all have been looked after by the looks of it and are in really good shape, the design of them though is terrible so many places mud and build up in the top around the top mounts.. its almost of if peugeot wanted these to rot out.

Getting their :D