• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BlueBolt

[engine_work] 205 Gti 1.9 Miami Blue

Miles

While the dash is out, be good if you could remove the ECU loom over the steering wheel, Leave the ECU and bracket there thou

allye

You need to take the dash out to replace the heater control unit!? :wacko: Need to help a friend do this and Thats the one part I've never taken off my Rallye.

BlueBolt

You need to take the dash out to replace the heater control unit!? :wacko: Need to help a friend do this and Thats the one part I've never taken off my Rallye.

Have a look at the thread I linked, it's got a couple of downloadable files that tell you exactly where the screws and nuts etc are that you need to take out... Is not as bad as you think it's going to be, but I'd make sure you wait for a warm day!! I've been told there are lots of bits that snap easily, I've been quite lucky that I haven't snapped anything... I've just got to make sure i get it all right as it goes back in...

BlueBolt

So, a busy week, and an even busier weekend has been entailed to get to tonight...

Completed the heater matrix, having fun laid upside down in the drivers footwell messing about trying to get the pipes into it and into place too...

Been spending a few evenings this week making the rear calipers go from something like this::

7e909688.jpg

To this::

e191f193.jpg

They're not completely spotless, and they're not as good as I wanted them to be at the end of it, but they're a lot cleaner than they were before.

Then came to yesterday. I fitted the single fan, oil cooler, and new rad that I needed having put my finger through the previous one on removal. Picked up a bargain on the Bay and got fan rad and oil cooler for £20!! Quite happy with that!!

Then I moved on to the brakes. Fitted the rear calipers back in. New pads and discs.

Front, I fitted new hoses (braided), gti6 calipers, M1144 pads and Bendix gti6 discs.

I never realised just how big the gti6 calipers are!!

f9b03bd3.jpg

Or the difference in size between the discs either::

34b90972.jpg

They come close to the inside wheel too. Having a quick comparison, these are the standard 1.9::

36fbd1cf.jpg

And now that the newly refurbished gti6 calipers are in, it looks like this::

068b045b.jpg

You may notice that the standard calipers are behind Speedline's, and the gti6 calipers are behild SMR's. This is due to me changing the front wheels for some with tread on the whole tire....

So then it comes to this morning. Went and got myself a vehicle transporter on hire for £74 a day from these guys. Helpful and friendly bunch and their van was good all bar it not having a winch... Not too much hassle though with a few ratchet straps and 25/30mins it was all done, loaded and strapped in!!

04e07964.jpg

Then off for a bit of a road trip!!

Stopping half way there for a KFC obviously!! M3 services at Fleet::

a02764cf.jpg

She's now sitting in Miles' yard, awaiting a bit of his attention!! Got to see the first charged 205 I've seen, sounded great, another Miami ltd edit that's been modified, but still looks mint!!!

Looking forward to the next few weeks while these are fitted to a gti6 lump!!

bd5a45d4.jpg

So after a slightly higher speed return journey back to sunny Kent, I called the other half to come and collect me from dropping the van straight back, and got told to go to the pub up the road and have a pint while I'm waiting as she was feeding baby...

Don't need to be told that twice!!

e78770b6.jpg

Nice pint of Best or 3 while I waited seemed to finish my day off nicely!!

Although I do feel it's a shame not to do a lot of the work that Miles will be doing for me, I'm happy that it's in good hands and safe in the knowledge that I don't have to get all annoyed with it as it's not going to plan... Much rather give the car to someone that clearly knows what they're doing and pick it up running!!

Now I just sit back, and have a few car free weeks till collection date... Sounds good to me :)

• Like 1

samthornton1990

The 6 calipers are massive.... I knocked the centre weights out of my wheels when I first slapped them on.....

BlueBolt

The 6 calipers are massive.... I knocked the centre weights out of my wheels when I first slapped them on.....

Yup, happened with the 2 SMR's I just put on the front!!

dcc

Is this going to be 8v on bodies?

Would like to know what inlet your going to use and ill keep a close eye on the power! :)

allye

The 1.9 lump is coming out of it. The head has already been sold, and a 2.0 GTI6 lump is taking its place.

• Like 1

gsidave

I now own it's 8v engine, well the bottom half anyway.

• Like 1

cybernck

Interesting placement of the PAS pump :P:lol:.

BlueBolt

Interesting placement of the PAS pump :P:lol:.

All about the front mount :P:lol:

Miles

Bit of progress to date, Engine bay De-greased, A couple of patch's of rust found and ground back ready to be repaired

Wing off to get better access

post-43-0-08721200-1332449217_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-20559100-1332449228_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-26401800-1332449242_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-46862800-1332449253_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-22065000-1332449275_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-44365200-1332449318_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Miles

Engine nearly there, Dash back in too

post-43-0-70343700-1332449389_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-59734000-1332449400_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

BlueBolt
:) :) :)

harryskid

:) :) :)

Miles will do a great job , i am really pleased with the work he did for me ! :D

• Like 1

Miles

Couple more from today before I shut up shop

post-43-0-40568600-1332614253_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-41766800-1332614264_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-13696700-1332614273_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-85877700-1332614281_thumb.jpg

BlueBolt

Couple more from today before I shut up shop

Glad you know where all those wires are destined for in that last pic lol

Looks good :)

Thanks for the update :)

Miles

LOL, there's the ECU loom in there now which trebles the amount of them

BlueBolt

LOL, there's the ECU loom in there now which trebles the amount of them

Lol

Least there will e no broken 22 yr old wires in there now lol

Miles

95% of the wiring complete, Dummy bodies until tomorrow

post-43-0-32189000-1332713924_thumb.jpg

Paul_13

I like the 306 PAS reservoir in the wing :)

BlueBolt

I like it all!! It's mine :) :) :)

• Like 1

BlueBolt

I like the 306 PAS reservoir in the wing :)

Is that the header tank on one side, and the PAS tank on the other?? Just thinking about this comment while I was at work earlier

Anthony

Is that the header tank on one side, and the PAS tank on the other?? Just thinking about this comment while I was at work earlier

Header tank isn't fitted in the pictures - the bottle on the other side is the standard screen wash reservoir.