• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Loose Hand Luke

Vtr Conversion, Ma Gearboxes, Diffs And Driveshaft Question

Loose Hand Luke

Hi all.

I'm in the final throws of my VTR engine into 205 project and have hit a slight problem.

I've done a couple of hours of reading using the search option, but still have a couple of tech questions that hopefully someone will know the answer too.

The problem is with the Passenger side driveshaft.

The VTR shaft input is actually shorter than the 205 item as the VTR diff is slightly different.

VTR item on the left, 205 on the right

DSC00651.jpg

(pic borrowed from google as I forgot to take a pic of my vtr shaft before I sold it...)

So as you can see, you can't just grind a bit off/turn the shaft down etc etc, it just won't work unless you fit the VTR inner joint onto the 205 shaft.

Now I already had a brand new 205 shaft, and I am reluctant to change/modify/sell it because I'm trying to do the conversion with as fewer custom parts as possible to make it easier for spares in the future.

What this means though, with the VTR diff the 205 shaft doesn't fit into the box far enough to meet the seal, about a 10mm gap there, so around 7mm more than a standard gap.

Thus:

DSC01885.jpg

Basically my situation is such that I'm going to need to do a lot of commuting to work, and the 205 will be my daily driver, so I don't want too close a ratio box, plus money is tight so I'm on a buget and time is also tight (life huh)

My questions are based on soloutions I've thought up to solve this problem, and I like recommendations from people who have actually done something similar, not just read about it if at all possible. But any helpful advice WILL be appreciated.

Option 1)

Strip the VTR gearbox and fit diff from a 205 gearbox?

I have a 205 1.1 MA gearbox in the shed. Would that diff match the final drive ratio in the VTR and fit the box to solve the problem? I've looked at the strip-down of the MA box and I'd be able to do it, but its not as quick a fix as I'm after.

Option 2)

Fit a different gearbox?

I was wondering if there was another MA box from say a 306, 106 etc, with a decent cruising gear, that would take the 205 length input shaft, but bolt straight on to the VTR engine fairly easily?

Option 3)

Use the 205 shaft in the VTR box and extend the gearbox seal to suit.

The idea being that I'd turn up a new seal housing in the lathe, then carefully drill/tap/pin/seal/bond the housing in to place so the seal runs on the correct section of the driveshaft.

With the shaft in the box and the hub bolted on, it DOES fit as it is and spins fine when rotated.

But it feels like the 7mm ish difference is causing the shaft to be compressed harder than normal. I know they're slightly sprung and there isn't much lateral play in my other standard 205 GR shaft, but I don't want the additional compression to cause damage to the CV joints while in use/cornering etc etc.

With those in mind, can anyone advise me on which they think is best?

I'd prefer Option 2 in all honesty if I can find the right box, but if Option 3 is a practical solution then I could go with that.

Option 1 is a last resort for me really.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.