• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205_sunderland

Oil Breather Issues Help

205_sunderland

My car still does leak oil from the sump but does not at times to so ive come to the conclusion that the pretty poor breather system the engine has could well be restricted/blocked at the moment. I want the car to remain as standard as possible under the bonnet but its an inlet off job to do breathers full anyway so thinking of replacing them so...

1)is it worth ditching the standard system and fitting a catch tank as my engine doesnt burn oil anyway so i could vent it near the subframe will no worries amdnd hide it to keep standard look.

2) is there a standard replacement set availiable or upgraded and if so, how much and where from.

cheers mick

Anthony

The standard breather system works fine, and there really is no need to start fitting catch tanks.

Remove all the breather pipes, clean them out and check that they've not split or collapsed. Refit and it'll be fine.

Stew @ BakerBM does a full silicon oil breather hose fit which might be worth considering if your hoses have seen better days - the main oil filler pipe is usually the one that collapses, perishes and splits, which won't happen on one of Stew's replacements.

Alan77

Treat yourself to a BBM set. Ditch the manky ones and get total reliabilty for oil and coolant hoses.

post-14615-0-05873600-1311540449_thumb.jpg

SurGie

Be good when BBM or anyone else sell GTI6 ones :excl:

205_sunderland

Treat yourself to a BBM set. Ditch the manky ones and get total reliabilty for oil and coolant hoses.

post-14615-0-05873600-1311540449_thumb.jpg

its exactly what i want but it will clean me out financially for the month if i do <_< and i cant justify taking the inlet off etc just to fit original knakard ones back on, such a tough decision hmmmmmmmmm

Anthony

You don't have to remove the inlet to remove or refit the breather hoses.

205_sunderland

You don't have to remove the inlet to remove or refit the breather hoses.

even the main oil filler etc? ive dropped bm a line as one of me breathers already new (on from tb to oil filler) so hoping i can get all the ones i need for £100 quid, and thats means no taking the girl i met in ibiza out for me this month :( unless she paying of course :lol:

kilauea

I just bought the filler pipe hose. When I took them off there was nothing wrong with the others but that one was shot and full of s*ite.

You might just squeeze in a bottle of wine and a 2-for-1 pub meal with your ibiza girl then. I know what I'd do! :)

Anthony

even the main oil filler etc?

All the oil filler and breather pipes can be removed and replaced with the inlet manifold still fitted.

Indeed, providing that you don't have slabs of meat for hands, there's rarely a need to remove the inlet manifold for any job - breathers, looms, alternator and starter I all do with the inlet and radiator still in place, although I admit that the starter is a bit of a squeeze.

kilauea

Removing the fanimold isn't a big deal anyway. I've done mine 3 times in as many weeks now (I doubt I'd have done the starter without it - old style with left hand bracket still on).

You don't have to strip everything off it if you're careful. Just unbolt, disconnect air duct from tb and nudge to the left for access. Use a tube of Wynnes gasket sealant when putting it back on. 5 min job.

205_sunderland

new silicone jobbies on the way and lots on nights in for me :lol:

jackherer

I doubt I'd have done the starter without it - old style with left hand bracket still on

This has come up so many times over the years, one day I will make a video of me removing a starter with everything in place to show all the non believers :lol:

Even an original old style one with the bracket will come off with the rad and inlet in place.

kilauea

This has come up so many times over the years, one day I will make a video of me removing a starter with everything in place to show all the non believers :lol:

Even an original old style one with the bracket will come off with the rad and inlet in place.

I'd still suspect some Derren Brown trickery if you showed me a video!

Lets have a race then :)

jackherer

Haha, you're on ;)

However I reckon some of the people on here into rallying could beat either of us in a spannering race...

kilauea

yeah but the rally boys have hydraulic fingers and hinges instead of joints. I think I saw one remove his little finger and use it as a screwdriver once :blink:

smithy

i can confirm a fat body starter with the bracket on can indeed be removed with everything in situ still,had mine out not so long back.

also the breather pipes can be removed/refitted without removing anything

205_sunderland

well i did them today with inlet on, its looks alot less tight once you remove the pipes there replacing and had the car for a good run tonite with me mate in his 106 rallyegti and seemed much better,gave it some stick a few times and very minimal oil around sump so jobs a gud en, it is french afterall i dont think it will ever 100% not leak but its certainly breathing easy now :lol:

SurGie

i can confirm a fat body starter with the bracket on can indeed be removed with everything in situ still,had mine out not so long back.

also the breather pipes can be removed/refitted without removing anything

Agreed, iv removed the starter a few times now no problem with space etc.

dannydub

Hi all,

Is BBM still the place to go for oil breather pipes?

Cheers!

Sign in to follow this