• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jdb1964

'88 1.9 Fuel Guage Flicks Up On Key But Only A Litle Bit...

jdb1964

Hi guys, back on here after a 12m on the dark side with a 16v Mk2 now back in the fold with a red '88 1.9 . When I turn the key the fuel guage just moves up slightly with a jerk but no further, when turned of drops off again , and yes it has fuel in it ! Sound like a faulty fuel level sender ? How to check as electrics not my forte and it had a new fuel guage 2 yrs ago by a previous owner. Any help welcome

Jon

Chester

smithy

Sounds like gauge fault to me as in my experience when sender plays up gauge fails to work at all.

To test unplug the sender under rear seat and short the wires together,gauge should go to max.

There should be 4 wires under there look for the thinnest ones as the thick are for fuel pump.

rallysteve

Could be the gauge, however my 205 has had two seperate instrument units and on both of them some of the needles jump up slightly whent the ignition is turned on, and as I have nothing connected the other side of the brown multi-plugs under the steering column, I guess its part of the dash that does it. As Smithy says though, the smaller cover in the centre of the car under the rear seat is where the sender is, unplug it and short the two wires together (with ignition on) to see if the gauge works. Make sure that you dont do this with the sender removed though as you dont want to be making any sparks over an open tub of petrol!

If the gauge still doesnt work we can take it from there :)

Steve

jdb1964

hi , thanks for suggestions guys,manged to look at it after work tonight. shorted across and guage flew over to full and when shorted across middle one the low level light came to life. so new fuel sender then ?, looked on Euro car parts - seem to be available at £44 a go.

Never had this prob with prev '90 1.9 so happy to find help on here :)

smithy

hi , thanks for suggestions guys,manged to look at it after work tonight. shorted across and guage flew over to full and when shorted across middle one the low level light came to life. so new fuel sender then ?, looked on Euro car parts - seem to be available at £44 a go.

Never had this prob with prev '90 1.9 so happy to find help on here :)

i stand corrected then it is a faulty sender then.

jdb1964

Hi,just called ECP who have it listed as Part no. 468735010 but none are avalable - so hes going to try and ask purchasing dept to look into it - he thinks it'll be a Marelli part if he can get one. Are there any other sources to try ?

Edited by jdb1964

Paul_13

Here....

Wanted thread :)

Edited by Paul_13

jdb1964

I rang Car Transplants (outside Nantwich) where they've got a K reg '93 diesel in and they Q £15 & VAT wth 6mth warranty included , so picked it up this afternoon (open till 5pm on a Saturday) and fitted it there to check and it all works well enough. So happy 205ing again now knowing how much is left in the tank ( well with a pich of salt I guess reading on here how 'accurate' they read...)

On to the cracked manifold next.

J

Sign in to follow this