• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tidypug

[Engine_Work] Supercharged 205 Rebuild

tidypug

Got the engine out today, so its sat on a trolley next to the car waiting for me to split it apart. I did manage to crack one of the indicator lenses, so thats something Ill need.

Daxed

Got a 2 1/2" system on mine that Miles supplied and fitted. Very good.

tidypug

Nice one, do you have any pics of it?

tidypug

I've been looking for a cheap engine stand for ages. Finally I got hold of one, so with engine mounted I stripped her apart.

The first thing I removed was the sump as I wanted to see if the bearings were shot. To my relief they're like new, so the mystery knocking is from somewere else. I thought it must be the little ends so the head had to come off.

Once the head was removed all looked good, the bores have no lip and can even see the honing marks in the bores.

2011-08-21182038.jpg

What I did find however lodged in what I think is the main oil way feeding the head was a bit of gauze and plastic.

2011-08-21182133.jpg

I pulled this out of the hole in the top left of the head

2011-08-21182045.jpg

You can see the hole better in this pic, its the hole to the left of the head bolt hole

2011-08-21182057.jpg

Does any one know were this has broken off from? Is there the rest of this in the block somewere?

I'm guessing that this was the cause of the rattling, id it possible that its damaged the head at all?

I've looked at the cams and they look ok.

welshpug

there's a one way valve in that oilway, can't figure out what youve pulled out if it would be, I dont think there's a filter in there.

btw, i'm sure i've saiid before,but it wont be the little ends as there are no bushes, the gudgeon pins are a press fit.

tidypug

Cool, so its not going to be the little ends then. Tbh I remember a couple of the tappets took ages to quieten down when I first ran the engine so this could have been a problem for some time.

Alan_M

There's meant to be a cartridge type guaze filter (plastic tube) in that hole :)

tidypug

riiight, I wonder if thats the remains of it?

peter

Probably same ive seen the same thing on a few mi's ive taken to bits!

tidypug

So what does people think the best thing to do is?

The head gasket was in perfect nick so the head should be nice an flat so shouldn't need a skim. Will putting a new head gasket on be ok?

Is it worth getting an upgraded head gasket on? If so is a cometic gakset the best to get?

tidypug

I've decided to put new bearings into the engine just for peace of mind as I would be kicking myself if I put it all back together again for it spin a shell later.

The bearings I've taken out look to be in really good condition.

2011-10-09144007.jpg

The crank looks good too, I'll send it off to get checked with the head

2011-10-09144022.jpg

The numbers on the back of the bearings read

S/C 34D 271494

S/C 29T 271501

E 271503 - FM 8 12

thrust washers S/C 78 std

Toddy

Are you going to get the crank polished if fitting new bearings?, preventative measure. There is a trick using Autosol and a shoe lace if you want to use the pikey option.

tidypug

#I am yes, a bloke I know works at rotherham rebore so hopefully it won't be too expensive

welshpug

i wouldnt call those in good condition tbh! though certainly not the worst I've seen by a long sight.

If you go for o.e bearings the top ones are all one size (colour code black iirc), the lower ones come in several small increments to take up any mismatch in tolerances, typically they'll all be the same colour code (my block was green)

cybernck

Any updates?

tidypug

I'm afraid not, moneys a bit tight at the moment, works dropped off and I'm expecting my first child in the next few weeks. Ideally I wanted to have the engine back in one piece before the new arrival but thats looking increasingly unlikely. I'l keep you all informed though :)

tidypug

I can finally update this now. I'm subcontracting for work now so can finally progress with the 205 abit. I've had the crank checked and polished which is fine. I also have a new set of big ends, mains and thrust bearings so I can now put the bottom end back together. I'm also going to put an uprated head gasket in it just for peace of mind.

• Like 1

Henry Yorke

Great news Jamie. It will be good to see this out and about again :)

tidypug

I can't wait tbh. I've given up on getting her on the road this year so will take my time and try have her ready for next summer.

tidypug

The engine is together and painted but that's about as far as I've got.

I've decided to insulate the garage as I've found it too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter, so just finding time to do that has been a big challenge.

Henry Yorke

Come along to the next Yorks meet Jamie as we have not seen you for a while! Even M@tt has a working 205 now :o

tidypug

Afternoon all. Finally after many years I've got the car back together and running. 

I'm using a re-angled exhaust manifold so the engine can sit at the correct angle.

I've also used a shallow aluminium wedge mounted between the bulkhead and brake servo to lift the master cylinder away from the head. I originally used washers for spacing but didn't like the fumes that came in through the space under the servo so is now sealed. 

I am no using one of the shorter rads, I've done this so I cam route the charge pipes over the top of the rad to keep them as short as possible. I have also had to remake all the bracketry for the intercooler, and oil coolers. The engine oil cooler has been mounter twice. I originally mounted it too low thinking the front valance would cover it. It didn't ! I've moved this to in front of the gearbox so is out of the way.

For cooling I've mounted 2 large fans to the back side of the rad to pull the air through, my last attempt had a large and small fan but found they just kept things cool enough. My new setup seems to work much better.

I was having an issue with my central locking and the starter clunking but not turning over. Turned out the central locking issue was linked with a bad connection in the alarm circuit being the issue.

Another issue was the car was overfuelling massively, I could start the car, but after a short time the engine would struggle to idle, go lumpy, miss on one or two cylinders then cut out. When I removed the spark plugs I found the plugs soaking in fuel. If burnt the fuel off the plugs and put them back in it would start but do the same again. Since I sorted the starting issue this also seems to have resolved itself.

I've just a niggly jobs to do.

I need the clips to mount the a pillar trims as they all broke when the alarm was fitted. I've looked on ebay but can't see small enough. 

Refit the passenger door trim, this is ready to do.

tidypug

Before its first wash in 9 years.

20200401_125023.jpg

tidypug

After a quick wash. It needs a good wax and polish when I get chance. After this picture I decided to redo the oil cooler location and fan mounts

20200401_181750.jpg

• Like 2