• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Will Eastman

[engine_work] My New Car - 1.6 Gti To Mi16

Will Eastman

Will test in when I get the time, in the midst of revision at the mo so not my first priority.

Can I also just say a little thank you to anyone who helped with any of my queries getting the engine in and running, having driven the car over the last week or so I love it and couldn't be happier with how the project has turned out :D.

I have got a few issues that I could do with some advice on, this will be going in a misc gen & technical thread shortly.

Next plans, as there is always a next thing with cars, are...

-Source and fit uprated rear ARB.

-Change driveshafts (left cv is knocking badly under any left lock acceleration)

-Fit new washer bottle (possibly try a washer bag) to allow better AFM positioning.

-Source and fit an exhaust system, downpipe is knocking so needs to come off and have some adjustment, I want to change the exhaust so think that this could be a good time, **advice welcome** I am looking for something nice and raspy that will pop n bang abit, I know not to everyones taste but thats just me, I think that a s/steel grp A or N would be good. I also would like the backbox to be about 2-2.5" pipe and not a rolled tip as dont like the look of these so much. But any advice on this would be lovely.

-In the long run I would like to fit gti6 manifold and standalone ecu. I saw this i think on the early devlopment of "Simmes" build thread and love it. I think the more polished torque and power delivery would be lovely added to this the different maps and generally better running (this is however just abit of a pipe dream for now)

Simes

Hi,

In the long run I would like to fit gti6 manifold and standalone ecu. I saw this i think on the early devlopment of "Simmes" build thread and love it. I think the more polished torque and power delivery would be lovely added to this the different maps and generally better running (this is however just abit of a pipe dream for now)

You can buy the GTI-6 inlet from me in preparation if you want ;) , I'm now on throttle bodies.

With regards to removing the washer bottle - keep it 'standard', one of these should help you.

http://www.bakerbm.c...?data=sih16v205

Enjoy your new toy!!

Edited by Simes

Will Eastman

Yeh have heard of these

With regards to removing the washer bottle - keep it 'standard', one of these should help you.

http://www.bakerbm.c...?data=sih16v205

But havnt got the funds atm plus, can it really shorten it by 15cm, I didnt remember the standard pipe being much longer than that. And thanks for the offer but think im going to have to wait for my bank account to recover, tempting though.

Other news, I have been driving the car lots and a small problem has shown itself that im sure some of you will be able to help with.

Let me set the scene, its when the car is warmed up n running nicely on the motorway (has happened numerous times) and I pull off at a junction and slow rather heavily to a standstill, when slowing the STOP light on the dash starts to flash a little, then once sitting in neutral the oil pressure read very low and the warning lights on the dash come on. This can be remedied by a blip of the throttle, making the oil pressure rise. Any ideas what this could be?? I know the gauges arn't that accurate on these but surely this isn't ideal??

Anthony

The BX 16v inlet hose is quite a bit longer than the 405 Mi16 one, so that's probably what is shortened 15cm odd.

As for the STOP and oil pressure light coming on at idle - given that the gauge tallies I would suggest that it is a genuine oil pressure issue and needs to be looked into ASAP. Firstly check that the main 22mm crank pulley bolt is tight and that is it idling at the correct speed (around 800-900rpm on an Mi16), and if all that is OK, I'd drop the oil and replace it and the filter as a matter of course - checking whether it is contaiminated with coolant or petrol.

If that doesn't solve it, then chances are you're looking at something internal - oil pump, bigend shells etc - which would be a little worrying as from memory this was a rebuilt engine wasn't it?

I had this on a friends 205 Mi16 that I borrowed last year, and a oil change and replacement filter solved the problem and showed a significant increase in oil pressure. Speaking to them afterwards suggested that it had not had an oil change in over 2 years! :o

Will Eastman

Ah fair play. Well I will do this, spoke to dcc about this and he suggested a new oil sended and possibly baffled sump. I need to replace the oil temp sensor anyway so seems like good a time as any. I would say that the oil is new (being an engine change) but I guess this may have already become contaminated.

The car does idle very nice and has only had this problem under and following breaking from speed, this made me think of oil surge issues, I hope not though!

Cheers for the advise Anthony

Anthony

I read it as the light being on at idle even when stationary - if that's true, it won't be a sump/surge related issue.

If it is only under braking, chances are that the oil level is low.

Will Eastman

Sorry is abit ambiguous, (guess that how these things are) the light flashes under braking. And then will be on once stopped but a blip of the throttle will stop it then it is fine. This hasn't happened when driving around town and such, even on long drives around town.

timmsy19

My first Mi engine did this exactly as you described. Was solved with a top up of oil (mine had a slight leak)

dont let it get to low or do this often ;)

Will Eastman

Just topped up the oil, took about a litre. Hoping that will sort it all out. Will keep you posted, thanks for the help. Will probably be looking to do some work on the sump adding baffle plate, new pump n sensor.

Will Eastman

Bad news - After having topped the oil up, I had this problem occur again. It was while driving round town, the car was up to temperature and the oil pressure was reading very low, with the light coming on once or twice. When the light came on giving it some revs would raise the pressure to about a third.

So as I understand it the next step is to change oil and filter. At the same time would it be advisable to change to a new oil sender and baffled sump or possibly gti-6 sump. I also need to replace the oil temp sensor (although im fairly sure this isnt connect since the engine swap so dont know where the wiring is).