• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RickyD

'92 Radio In A '91

RickyD

I've bought a '92 Plate Radio in thinking it would fit directly into my '91 Plate 1.9 205. The'92 must be a Ph2 and mine a Ph1.5 therefore they must have changed the connector.

I take it the later Ph2 used an ISO connector, therefore I've bought a ISO converter connector in the hope that it will connect directly.

Please let me know if I'm going down the right route.

Cheers

RickyD

pug_ham

I don't think the 205 ever came with an ISO connector as standard so buyng the adpater loom is the right way to go.

I wired an ISO directly in on one of my previous pugs (205 STDT iirc) where someone had butchered the wires to the original red plug.

Graham.

Henry Yorke

As Graham says, the 205 only ever came with a red plug. The radio you have bought is not a standard one from Peugeot

RickyD

Received an ISO connector today and it doesn't fit the Red connector on the Peugeot 205 radio I bought off ebay. The ISO adapter which I've bought has the Black connector which will fit direct to the loom on the car. The problem I now has it connecting it to the Peugeot Radio which is not of the same fittment.

It may be just as easy for me to buy an aftermarket stereo with an ISO Connector fitted. This will be a lot easier than trying to fit a retro stereo.

Your comments please.

Cheers

RickyD

Obey_R

Photos speak a thousand words in this case, get photos of the back of the stereo, any wires coming from it and the car.

RickyD

O.K. I will take some pics and report back.

GLPoomobile

So what's the situation with the replacement radio? I presume the wiring loom on that is hardwired in to the radio, and has a single red plug on the end. This is why your ISO connector is no good - because the ISO connector is designed to go between the car's OE connector at one end, and the standard ISO socket (as found on all modern headunits) at the other end.

So if you've still got the original OE plug on the loom inside the car, and the original plug on the end of the radio, I'm confused as to why the two don't match. I'm not aware of them being different in later models. Does the loom/plug in the car look original? It's pretty common these days for them to have been messed about with at some point in their life.

If it comes to it, chop both plugs off and just join the wires up. Either the cheap and pikey way with connector blocks, or get some proper connectors with new terminals and crimp them on (but you'll need a crimping tool).

Henry Yorke

There should be two red connectors as standard. One on the back of your OE head unit which it sounds like you have and a female version (IIRC) on the car loom side. These two join together and it works. It sounds like someone has removed your original car loom side and replaced it with ISO connectors so a more modern radio can be fitted. Therefore the only way to fit your OE radio is to chop the car loom connectors off and fit the original connector from a car in a scrapyard.

The part you got off ebay may well be a Peugeot to ISO connector but will be the wrong way round for your application. I have one of these looms in my CTI so I can run a more modern Alpine head unit on the original loom. This is what your loom will look like

PC2-06-4.jpg

GLPoomobile

The picture below shows the original 205 connector. The part facing you in the pic is the male end, which is on the car loom. As you can see, some utter faggot had a field day with the wiring at some point in the past. THe female part, with the wiring disappearing off the picture, is an ISO adaptor loom, but it's the same plug that would have been on the original 205 radio.

post-6307-0-30664800-1301526309_thumb.jpg

On mine I did away with the original red plug (that decision was pretty much made for me, by the awful cowboy job shown above!). I cut the wires back neatly, ran some new speaker cable, crimped on the appropriate new terminal pins, and re-terminated them in to a pair of ISO plugs I had spare (brown carries speaker cables, black carries power, earth etc). The loom on the other side that goes to a single ISO plug came with my JVC headunit.

post-6307-0-22136500-1301526588_thumb.jpg

RickyD

Muppet me, I've found the original red connector which was well tucked away. At least with all of your help I knew what I was looking for. There was already an ISO connector convertor connected and I didn't realise.

Next question is where can I get the code for the cassette radio? It powers up and you can hear the hissing in the speakers.

I take it, it is a four digit code.

Thanks in advance.

RickyD

RickyD

Anyone any idea's or is a case of paying a company £20 to provide the code from the serial no.

Cheers

RickyD

Henry Yorke

There used to be a spreadsheet calculator or something that could tell you the codes but the last copy I saw had a virus in it so I deleted it. Someone recently just sat down and went through all of the 5000 odd options and eventually successful. Have a damn good scan over the unit to see if it has had the code written on it at some point in its life as this was common practice at one point.

RickyD

Cheers Henry, I had a good look around the unit on Saturday and couldn't find anything.

I found a website that states they can do it for £20 with the serial no. and model no. provided. My friends Dad has suggested a local breakers yard who he used to get his done.

I will have a trip down to see them once my car has passed it's MOT.

Cheers

RickyD

Anthony

I'm able to decode the original clarion headunits :)

RickyD

Anthony,

What's the procedure/costs involved in doing this?

Thanks in advance.

RickyD

RickyD

Anthony,

Do you need me to pm you the serial/model no.?

Many Thanks

RickyD

RickyD

Finally I took a trip to our local Auto Breakers Yard and he has cracked the code for me. I now have a fully operational Retro Clarion Radio/Cassette player.

It takes you back the poor quality of sound compared to modern cars such as my Audi A6. I wanted to take the car back to it's original state.

Many Thanks

RickyD

RickyD

I now have ipod connectivity through the cassette deck. I found my old tape lead with the 3.5mm jack on the end.

This retro game is sure good fun....

Cheers

RickyD

weejp

I'm able to decode the original clarion headunits :)

Was wondering if you would be prepared to get a code for my recently acquired original clarion H/U.

It would be hugely appreciated. I suspect you'd need some info from the unit itself, what is it that's required exactly?

Thanks in advance. JP