• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

[body_work] Best Get The Welder Out Then

M@tt

I knew there was a bit of a soft spot on my passenger sill but i'd been putting off looking at it for a while and it has passed the last 2 MOT's ok so i thought it couldn't be too bad, but tonight i got it in the garage to do a few other jobs on it and decided to have a bit of a poke

oh well no going back now :P

37eee4a8.jpg

most of it had pretty mch rotted away! the inner chassis rail looks fine mind so whether this has been a replacement sill at some pont i'm not sure. The drivers side luckily appears to be solid though (phew!!)

i'll up date as i go along fixing it

Daviewonder
:P Bloody hell, never seen a 205 that far gone. Is this the first job to be done in the new workshop Matt?

SurGie

That is bad, i found my 205's drain holes to be blocked full of the sealant they used for the floor pan. What a useless job they did which led to some thick surface rot, which i have now removed with great difficulty, so the rot you have dont happen in the future with mine.

omega

once its cleaned up might be a idea to but some underseal in while you have good exess.

M@tt
:P Bloody hell, never seen a 205 that far gone. Is this the first job to be done in the new workshop Matt?

it is now :D

i brought it in as there was a few jobs i wanted to do.

1) fit new central locking motors

2) wire up management information light

3) see if there were any engine faults codes

4) replace clutch

5) possibly replace gearbox

6) sort starting issue (can jump start but won't off ignition)

so now a bit of body work to do first!

large

A bit of filler job done :unsure: .

On a more serious note I think jobs like this will start to become more common place as the cars get older the option to re-shelling become unaffordable.

Just look at old Fords and the metal that gets put back into them.

Henry Yorke

Just whack some side skirts on it! :unsure:

• Like 1

allanallen

Let this be a lesson to you Evans; never paint a White car black!!!

M@tt

Lesson Learnt Mr Storer :)

Well tonights progress involved removing the front passenger wing which will allow the new sill to be fitted. I had forgotten what a twat that bumper/wing mount is and what a bloody stupid design it is as well. It took longer than planned but everything came off with no incident

the next job was to run the knotted brush on the angle grinder down the sill lip to identify where all the spot welds were and then drill them out with a spot weld drill bit. So that pretty much took up the rest of the evening but i got all the bottom edge freed up.

AS mentioned previously the inner chassis rail looks fine albit a small amount of surface rust where the outer sill and it met and were spot welded together. The rear jacking point however may require a bit more attention but i can't be for sure until i get the rest of the sill off.

11fd04a1.jpg

642c9574.jpg

matt.f

Get some waxoil(cavity type)to squirt in after you have painted it

M@tt

yep the plan is to epoxy 2 pak paint the inside of the sill & chassis rail.

Spot sections of the chassis rail which will have the new sill plug welded to it will have a zinc weld through prriper applied instead of the epoxy 2pak. Once the sill is fitted it will be waxoyled as suggested and then the outside expoxy primed and then stone chipped and repainted. easy peasy :)

unariciflocos

Had the exact same thing happen to me right before starting to prep for respraying. One rust bubble that revealed the exact same horror when poked. Strange thing is that the sill on the other side was rock solid and healthy.

Tom Fenton

Some MOT testers will not pass plug welded repairs and will insist on seam welded. To get around this borrow a spot welder and make a neat job of it then they will never know.

M@tt

tonight i managed to get most of the old sill off.

However i did unearth some more rot round the rear jacking point :wacko: nothing that can't be sorted though :unsure: the plan is to get some zintec sheet and make some replacement sections and butt weld them into place.

PICT1939.jpg

any way onwards and upwards

Edited by M@tt

Miles

I'd drop the tank while your there, I bet you'll find some more, One 205 I jacked up there the jack went right thru it all, But on the outside it looked mint before, The old Underseal does hide allot of sins

Obey_R

I've got a sill here, surplus to requirments. It's missing the front 8 icnches where I've had to do a sill repair, but otherwise it's fine.

Drop me a pm if it'd be of any help.

Tom Fenton

Be careful welding zintec, the fume that comes off it is nasty stuff and will poison your bollocks. Personally I would just do it in mild and protect it well afterwards.

Vili

If zintec is elektroplated (the one with matte gray surface) sheet I would definitely use it. There is a risk of getting zinc fever which is pretty nasty, but doesn't kill you and goes away within 24h. I have never gotten the fever even though I never use anything else than elektroplated stuff. The zinc fever is more of a problem in production use where there is lot more seam to weld. I would still recommend not to inhale the fumes.

M@tt

well I've made a bit more progress.

On further investigation there was a bit more rot on the panel that goes up toward the bump stop however the rear beam is in the way so that needed dropping out the way. Fortunately I've finally managed to get my lift working so i could just undo the the 6 bolts holding the beam on, undo the handbrake cables and undo the brake lines and lift the car straight off it easy peasy!!!

However a slight issue was that because i have no sill or jacking point on one side i had to support the rear of the car on some wooden blocks under the rear foot wells. however as the rear beam wasn't on, there wasn't much weight on the back end so it hasn't caused any damage.

Along side the rusty sill i've been removing the other sections of rotten panels ready to make replacements and get them welded back in.

Heres a few pics

PICT1962.jpg

Rusty section up towards the rear bump stop

PICT1963.jpg

PICT1958.jpg

The bottom of this panel needs chopping off and replacing. It will mean dropping the fuel tank though, which is no biggie

PICT1967.jpg

Car lifted straight off beam

PICT1969.jpg

Rotten sections which need replacements making out of zintec sheet

Edited by M@tt

joe1joe

my seal drain holes were also blocked, and on the mot side of things:

if a replacement sill is fitted it only has to be spot welded (same as manufacture)

or if you use patches or repair sections then it needs to be fully welded.

matt.f

I've never seen mot testers pull door seals up to check for spot welds.

Mig/plug weld the bottom sill flange and grind off,coat with stonechip.Most are grease monkeys and havnt a clue about bodywork from my experience being a panel beater 12yr.

Edited by matt.f

Daviewonder
I've never seen mot testers pull door seals up to check for spot welds.

Mig/plug weld the bottom sill flange and grind off,coat with stonechip.

I don't think mot testers are allowed to remove bits.

matt.f

Forgot to mention a good weld through primer is a must

trogboy

Just been reading this thread with interest - any updates Matt?

M@tt

funnily enough I've finally making a crack on with it this week after months of having to concentrate on other jobs around the home

anyway i've started making up some templates

IMG_0019.jpg

and i've found the rot has crept into the corner of the rear passenger foot well but shouldn't be too much hassle to fix

IMG_0021.jpg