• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

1.6 Pepperpot Centre Section Refurb

Atari Boy

I am slowly starting to sort out my 1.6. I was planning on getting the alloys blasted then I would spray them myself enabling me to polish the centre sections OE style by hand. I spoke to Tony 205 who refurbs alloys on an exchange basis who explained that he does not polish the centre sections as they don't come up well, his prices however are quite compelling.

Do you think painted centres look okay? If not how would you suggest I tackle them without throwing too much money at them?

955559df.jpg

Thanks

Jonny

welshpug

To look original they do need to be polished IMO :D

Would think getting someone to machine the face off would do the trick, "diamond polished" I think is what they are often reffered to?

BTW, they aren't pepper-pots, these are pepper-pots;

http://media2.turbosport.co.uk/2009/12/201...0sale%20008.jpg

:lol:

:(

Edited by welshpug

Atari Boy

Thanks Mei, are they XR2 alloys?

I agree that diamond polished centres will look best, if I went the DIY route (bar the polishing), should I get them centres polished, mask then spray, then lacquer the whole wheel?

stufarri

I think you may struggle to polish these now as the powder coating will probably crack off around the centre boss if they are diamond cut as it can be brittle. Tony said he could get them polished when I asked - I suppose masking them off would have been an alternative before they were powder coated or better still have them painted and then cut?

Best of luck though.

Henry Yorke

Powdercoating and diamond cutting don't really fair well together. Paint is the best bet, especially on a more detailed wheel like the 1.6 Speedline as you'll get a better finish. It would probably be cheaper to just hunt for the odd mint 1.6 wheel. I know I have got one with a really good centre (though it is out in the back garden!!)

Miles

They have to be Bright, I'd powder coat them, Polish/Cut the middle then Laquer them, The std wheels where like this but the only downside is they never last too long.

As your in Suffolk try Aerocoat in Gt Yarmouth, They do some of my wheels and I;ve never seen better yet

Atari Boy

Thanks for the info chaps, I will investigate Aerocoat.

Atari Boy

I spoke to Aerocoat today, they seem very knowledgable, however as suspected, they would not be able to powder coat and polish the centre section. I am going to try and get the faces polished then I will spray them myself and lacquer them I think.

Edited by Atari Boy

Will Eastman

If im wanting to refurbish the centres of my 1.6 wheels (the rest of the wheel are fine) what should i do, polish then lacquer, or just polish, or spray??

If I should just polish them how should i do this? Sand down then progressively higher grit n then a bit of polish?

Will Eastman

anyone?

Atari Boy

It has been suggested to me that I just polish the centre and use metal polish to keep it looking good.

Chile

I am currently refurbishing my pepperpots (including centre polish). I am following a tutorial from the french 205 gti club:

http://www.club205gti.fr/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=284:tuto-mecanique-10&catid=71:mecanique&Itemid=169

The process is very stright forward. The only thing i did was to get my wheels soda-blasted as i did not want to spend my whole life rubbing the old paint off. Hope this helps!

Daviewonder

Translation of above link :)

Edited by Daviewonder