• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mogsman

Can I Clamp A Braided Hose?

mogsman

Hi all, I'm about to change the wheel cylinders on my 1.6gti. I have braided hoses going to the copper lines, can I clamp these without damaging them? Or if I don't, will I get covered in alot of brake fluid changing them?

Ian

swordfish210

No you can't, you will just have to pull the hose off and stick the end in a coke botle or something so it doesnt go all over the floor.

mogsman

Thanks, I'll start drinking now.

Ian

welshpug

if you've got some spare fittings and pipe you can easily make a blanking plug, make a suitable flare on the end of a piece of pipe, fit union onto pipe, crimp and bend the pipe :lol:

mogsman

I'll use a bottle as that seems the easiest option. I'm not worried about loosing too much fluid. I wasn't sure how much would come out when I take off the pipe as I have never done wheel cylinders before. I might as well get another bottle of fluid and replace all the fluid in the system.

Ian

davev

or a easy trick to stop the fluid coming out is to use something to keep the brake pedal pressed down. as the fluid wont come out while it is down.

mogsman

I used an empty 4 pint plastic milk bottle. It worked a treat as its light enough to hang from the end of the brake pipe.

Ian